UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2006, 9:53 am   #1
Superhet Si
Pentode

Default The history of Hacker

I have been searching the net looking for any reference to the Hacker radio company.
I have found nothing of any detail regarding the founder of the company, where in Maidenhead the factory was etc.
Can anyone shed any light on this lost company?
Old 6th Sep 2006, 9:58 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: The history of Hacker

Hi Simon,

There's an excellent little book about the Hacker brothers' (Ron & Arthur?) first company, Dynatron, but it does contain some info about Hacker too. It was published about 10-15 years ago. I have a copy somewhere (probably at my parents') and will scan it for you if no-one beats me to it.

The factory was at Norreys Drive, Cox Green, SL6 4BP. Looking it up on Streetmap or Multimap will show you where it is, and Googling the postcode will tell you what's there now (an industrial estate, I think).

Nick.
Old 6th Sep 2006, 10:16 pm   #3
Superhet Si
Pentode

That would be a very kind gesture Nick thanks a lot. You have told me something I did not know, that the hacker brothers used to be Dynatron
Old 6th Sep 2006, 10:28 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhet Si View Post
You have told me something I did not know, that the hacker brothers used to be Dynatron
Yes, that was from 1927 to 1960! Hacker Radio Ltd. started production in 1960, meeting with recurrent financial crises from the early '70s on: R.H. and A.G. Hacker sold the firm at the end of 1975, and after a liquidation and a second buyout it ended its days in Bournemouth circa 1980. I've not been able to discover exactly when, but one of my Bournemouth-made sets (serial numbers beginning with B) carries a 20/6/1979 date stamp.

Paul
Old 7th Sep 2006, 10:03 am   #5
Tom_I
Heptode

Quote:
You have told me something I did not know, that the hacker brothers used to be Dynatron
There's a little bit about them here:

http://www.dynatronmuseum.org.uk/History.htm
Old 8th Sep 2006, 9:44 am   #6
ianj
Heptode

I own a Hacker music centre 600, which dates from the mid-late 70s, with dolby cassette, and garrard belt drive deck......Hacker and Dynatron were top dog...................................back then. ianj
Old 8th Sep 2006, 4:19 pm   #7
Superhet Si
Pentode

Thanks for all the information regarding a great manufacturer of quality radio equipment.
It was such a shame they went to the wall in the end.
Keep the info coming please, if there is more
Old 8th Sep 2006, 4:52 pm   #8
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The booklet Nick's scanning for you will tell you most of what I know, even though its information on the Hacker Radio years is fairly sparse. I remember my own dismay on reading in Practical Wireless at the time of one of the company's three (at least) collapses, in which memory tells me they were reported to have been bought out by a Brazil-based seat belt manufacturer (Pullmaflex?). Nothing against Brazil or seat belts, but it seemed a sad day...

In case you haven't found it yet, there's a fair and growing collection of Hacker material (sales brochures, instruction leaflets, dealers' letters - thanks Nick! - plus a smattering of photos with many more to come) available at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hackerradiogroup/ , where attempts to piece together more of the company's production history will continue

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 8th Sep 2006 at 5:01 pm.
Old 27th Sep 2006, 10:19 pm   #9
Superhet Si
Pentode

Look foward to Nick posting the story on the Hacher bros. Any day now i'm sure ;-)
Old 27th Sep 2006, 10:25 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Look foward to Nick posting the story on the Hacher bros. Any day now i'm sure ;-)
Er, well no

Off on holiday soon, then have to wait until I go to my parents' house to retrieve the booklet.

It's literally written on my "to do" list though, so I haven't forgotten.

Nick.
Old 28th Sep 2006, 5:58 pm   #11
Superhet Si
Pentode

Cheers Nick I was just teasing......
Old 29th Sep 2006, 9:51 pm   #12
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

Here is all the information I have about Hacker history, including Dynatron.

Dynatron Radio Ltd, Perfecta Works, Ray Lea Road, Maidenhead, Berks (in 1947). Maker of radios and radiograms (also industrial electronics & TV sets). Founded by R H & A G Hacker in 1927 (as H Hacker & Sons, Ray Lea Road, Maidenhead), to manufacture Dynatron radiograms. In 1954 at The Firs, Castle Hill, Maidenhead. In 1957, they were at St Peter’s Road, Furze Platt, Maidenhead. In 1955, they sold out to E K Cole Ltd (Ekco). RH & AG Hacker remained with the company until 1959, when they left to form Hacker Radio Ltd in 1960.

Pye took over E K Cole in 1960 and, in 1966, the Pye High Fidelity Division was at St Peters Road, Maidenhead. The firm remained in Maidenhead until the 1970’s (under the ownership of Pye and then Philips). In 1975, Dynatron had a product development team at Hansa Road, Hardwick Industrial Estate, King’s Lynn, Norfolk (Pye TMC / Pye Electro Devices were also on this estate). Philips sold the brand name to Roberts Radio Ltd around 1980.

Roberts replaced their “Roberts Video” brand with “Dynatron” thereafter. Roberts is now a subsidiary of Glen Dimplex plc.

Hacker Radio Ltd, Norreys Drive, Cox Green, Maidenhead, Berks (in 1961 – this new site was built in 1960). Established by RH & AG Hacker – late of Dynatron Radio Ltd. Maker of radios and HiFi, but also industrial electronics (e.g. for UKAEA – in 1969). Circa 1975, the firm went into liquidation and was bought – the new company was called Hacker Sound Ltd. Not long after, this company was bought by Motoradio Ltd of Blackburn (In Car Entertainment manufacturers). Production was then transferred from Maidenhead to Motoradio’s plant in 83-95 Stanley Road, Bournemouth. How long did this last for - into the 80’s.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 29th Sep 2006, 10:54 pm   #13
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Main dates for the stages of Hacker's demise seem to be :-

December '75 - initial sale of Hacker Radio Ltd. R.H. and A.G. Hacker were retained as consultants.

May '77 - receivership. New company formed, and bought out by car seating manufacturer Pullmaflex. Production as "Hacker Sound" begins.

April-May '78 - production moved to Bournemouth after sale of the company to Motoradio. (I have an April '78 Sovereign IV from Maidenhead, Howard's just acquired a May '78 one made in Bournemouth). The Hacker brothers had retired shortly before the move.

Some time after June 20th '79 - I'd guess not many months - an accidental fire destroyed the Bournemouth factory and put an end to Hacker production. (June 20th is the latest date I've seen on a Bournemouth set, and there aren't very many of them around).

Paul
Old 1st Oct 2006, 1:59 am   #14
ben
Dekatron

weren't they the company that produced ugly looking stuff used in schools, usually with a crummy garrard sp25 turntable inlvolved?
Old 1st Oct 2006, 2:06 am   #15
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Umm... well, they produced the best portable record players of their day (with only really the Decca Deccalian that comes to mind as competition), if those are the instruments you're thinking of. The SP25 was hardly a hi-fi deck, granted, but it was pretty robust, and there weren't many better alternatives to use in a portable - an SME 3009 wouldn't have fared very well I guess ugliness is in the eye of the beholder

Paul
Old 1st Oct 2006, 2:16 am   #16
Mike Fulton
Pentode

Hmmm, probably, I seem to remember pretty rugged teacher proof () stuff wearing the Hacker label when I was of school age in those times.....

Hacker products in general were (are!) pretty bombproof anyway.

I liked the SP25 series, fitted with a decent cartridge nothing could touch them in their price range (or has since!!!)
Old 1st Oct 2006, 2:50 am   #17
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes, my own first encounter with Hacker came at age 5, when a new Mayflower II had taken up residence in Sculthorpe VA school just before I started there myself (I'm pretty sure it wasn't there during a preliminary visit!) The record player budget can't have been so generous, as we had to make do with a Dansette Conquest. A few years later and I remember a Hacker Gondolier occasionallly having its seven watts RMS called on to entertain about 600 boys in an echoing school hall during assembly...

Paul
Old 1st Oct 2006, 7:14 am   #18
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hi,

I think Ben may be referring to Clarke & Smith products.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 1st Oct 2006, 12:09 pm   #19
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Yes - that had crossed my own mind, though I rather like their oak cabinets Funny thing is, I never actually met any Clarke & Smith items in a school, just Hacker, Ferrograph, Tandberg and so on. But doubtless they were sold to schools, or they wouldn't have existed at all

Paul
Old 29th Nov 2006, 2:06 am   #20
plumbweiss
Retired Dormant Member

There's a few paragraphs in the Bussey-Geddes setmakers book about these guys.
Closed Thread