UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2016, 1:31 am   #1
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

Default Basic Electronics book

When I was a teenager I was totally obsessed with valve electronics. I used to scrounge old TV valves from a local repair shop. From my school library I took out a book called "Basic Electronics" by the never to be forgotten trio of Van Valkenburgh, Nooger and Neville. I believe the book originated in the US but had been modified for training REME technicians.

I now have a copy on my hard drive. I wonder, does anyone else remember the book? I learned a lot from it. There was also a "Basic Electricity" too. Both books also came as a set of separate volumes.

Be interesting to know if anyone else knows it.

Carl.
Old 12th Nov 2016, 7:49 am   #2
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Basic Electronics book

Me for starters! Basic Electronics was a series of 6. Read the first 3 in my formative years, didn't see the remainder for a long time!
Old 12th Nov 2016, 11:25 am   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I know them. I think I even have the full set somewhere. I remember :
Basic Electricity -- 5 books, yellow covers
Basic Electronics -- 6 books, orange covers
Basic Television -- 3 books, red covers
Basic Electronic Circuits -- 2 books, light green covers
Basic Industrial Electricity -- 2 books, dark green covers
Basic Syncros and Servomechanisms -- 2 books, purple covers
Basic Radar -- 1 book, blue cover (and much less technical than the rest)

Have I missed any?
Old 12th Nov 2016, 12:45 pm   #4
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Chaps,

I'm glad people remember them. I knew about the other books that Tony mentions. I have only seen some of the volumes of Basic Electricity and Basic Synchros and Servos. I have a full set of Basic Electronics and Basic Electricity in PDF format. They are available online in various places.

The version of Basic Electronics that I had from my school library had a section on the oscilloscope and how to use it, as well as a low down on how the various circuits inside operated. My PDF version doesn't have this, so there must have been a few different editions.

Thanks,

Carl.
Old 12th Nov 2016, 12:55 pm   #5
Restoration73
Nonode

Technical Press also offered a version where all of a set were bound into a single volume.
My Basic Electronics is in this format.
Old 12th Nov 2016, 4:28 pm   #6
britishrocket
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, thats the version I had from my school library, in a single volume. Published by Technical Press.

Carl.
Closed Thread