UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2004, 4:31 pm   #1
solder

Default Collectors are a funny lot!

Imagine that Bush had wished to market a DAC90 in another colour from black/brown/white. They would probably have painted/sprayed an existing set to see how it looked, as other 1930/50 set manufacturers would have done.
A home sprayed set is not worth a fiver to a collector now, but if sprayed by any old Tom, Dick or Harry working at Bush Radio in the 40's, would now command many 100s.....collectors are a funny lot!

Albert.......

Old 19th Dec 2004, 5:34 pm   #2
SPCh
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Collectors are a funny lot!

yes; we are.
Old 19th Dec 2004, 7:00 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

I'm inclined to agree.
Old 19th Dec 2004, 7:25 pm   #4
radiogammon
Retired Dormant Member

I assume we are talking about the pink DAC90 on eBay here! Surely it all boils down to authenticity (hope I have spelt it correctly). Many sets were made with sprayed cabinets and good re-sprays are perfectly acceptable provided they are a near match to one of the original colours. Would anyone buy a pink car unless it was just for a bit of fun?

John B.
Old 19th Dec 2004, 9:58 pm   #5
ianj
Heptode

Hi,

Well, I own a repro Ekco ad65 in marblised green AND I LOVE IT!!! its a great valve set....................I couldnt afford a genuine ad65, and they look boring in brown bakelite anyway..........................so I, as a collector, am happy-- Ive also seen a metallic blue dac90, and its finish is stunning! Regards, ianj
Old 20th Dec 2004, 12:07 am   #6
mjizycky
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogammon
I assume we are talking about the pink DAC90 on eBay here! Surely it all boils down to authenticity (hope I have spelt it correctly). Many sets were made with sprayed cabinets and good re-sprays are perfectly acceptable provided they are a near match to one of the original colours.
My sentiments exactly. To respray a radio to recreate its original finish is perfectly acceptable, but I would still pay less for one. To paint one to disguise a rubbish/repaired cabinet or just for fun is okay (I suppose) but I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole - and to pass it off as something else is stricly verboten.

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 28th Dec 2004 at 11:04 pm.
Old 20th Dec 2004, 11:54 am   #7
Aerodyne
Octode

Look at it the other way around: I had an article published where I took a factory sprayed Little Maestro and stripped the paint completely off it . The original intention was to respray, but the Bakelite looked so good after the paint removal that I left it 'uncovered'. Therefore, the original set was painted and my modification changed that. Of course, the Little Maestro was always available in mottled brown Bakelite, so my assumption was that my action was reasonable. As far as spraying a set to hide repairs to damaged cabinets, provided that the set was originally sprayed or was at least the identical colour to the one used, I think that's OK but if selling, these facts should be disclosed to potential purchasers: it would be fraudulent not to. Therefore, as far as Ebay is concerned, 'caveat emptor'
-Tony

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 28th Dec 2004 at 11:04 pm.
Old 20th Dec 2004, 1:43 pm   #8
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

Likewise I have a PYE P43U which should have it's front sprayed, but after removing the paint the brown bakelite looks so nice I left it as it was.
Paul E
Old 21st Dec 2004, 1:47 am   #9
Paul_RK
Dekatron

And there's my rare DAC90A , originally factory sprayed cream, now revealed in all its milk chocolate coloured glory...

Paul
Old 21st Dec 2004, 10:15 am   #10
wireless_paul
Hexode

Location: World Heritage Village of Saltaire, Shipley, West Riding of Yorkshire.

One of the problems with re-spraying, is to make sure you are using the colour it was manufactured with and not what it has changed to over the intervening years. The PYE P43U appears to be painted a green colour, but I believe it should be silver and the paint has changed over the years.
Paul E
Old 21st Dec 2004, 12:03 pm   #11
paulsherwin

I resprayed my P43 front silver. It did look nice with all the paint stripped off, but mine had scratches around the control knobs which were very obvious without the paint. It looks fine painted.

Incidentally, I think the P43 is one of the few examples where a transformer variant performs less well than an AC/DC variant (P43U). My P43 has the mains and output trannies next to each other, and hums quite badly with all the valves removed!

Best regards, Paul
Old 21st Dec 2004, 1:20 pm   #12
mjizycky
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne
Look at it the other way around: I had an article published where I took a factory sprayed Little Maestro and stripped the paint completely off it . The original intention was to respray, but the Bakelite looked so good after the paint removal that I left it 'uncovered'.
Did the same thing myself to an Ultra T401 which I gave to my late great-aunt as a Christmas present - it was originally a cream painted one, but was so badly scratched the only course of action was to sand it right back to the Bakelite and polish it. Before anyone says "why didn't you use paint stripper?", it was enamel paint and therefore untouchable by Nitromors/Strypit. Again, the finish it ended up in was an "original" so I didn't have any real problem with it.

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 28th Dec 2004 at 11:05 pm.
Old 21st Dec 2004, 11:35 pm   #13
Alvin
Heptode

Had the same problem with a Ferranti 505 bought at auction some months ago. The painted cream finish was in very poor condition, quite flaky and very dirty, so I plunged it in to a sink of warm soapy water - the paint fell off and I was left with a beautiful shiny black cabinet which I've left as is. The painted knobs also had the same treatment but as they're a dark chocolate brown there's a slight mismatch however that only looks odd in some lights. I doubt I'll ever get round to respraying it particularly as I like the way it looks now.

Alvin

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 28th Dec 2004 at 11:06 pm.
Closed Thread