UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2020, 6:20 pm   #61
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Re: Tool rip offs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Are you sure they made it themselves? I think the good stuff is or was made by Scintilla AG, the throw away stuff might be from another factory that might or might not be fully owned by Bosch.
Well the label is as others, says Bosch Echterdingen Leinfelden. Doesn't mean it was made there of course. But it's a design issue really given that for the most part they have replaceable brushes and this one doesn't. Myself I'm moving towards their brushless range. Can't wear the brushes out on those!
Old 21st Jun 2020, 11:32 pm   #62
philthespark
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
Back in the early seventies I was working near Waterloo and we were on good terms with the GPO chap who spent most of his time in our building. He suggested that we went down the cut where there was a market stall which supplied at low cost, worn out GPO tools which they sold off as scrap.

Our friend then took these to his stores and brought us back nice new replacements, and very good they were.
I remember just after coming out of my time, we were on this big refurb job that was going to take months,the BT lads were doing their thing and we were wiring everything else.
For some reason the BT lads were not allowed to drill any holes so I was sort of seconded to them for the duration.
They arrived on the first day and they had loads of cable and stuff and we were working out the cable runs, we'd actually start work the day after. Anyway this BT lad was looking at my long drill bits, I'd had them years and they were getting tired, "I'll take them with me tonight, have them sharpened and bring them back in the morning for you" said one of the lads, so I let him. The following morning he arrived with a full set of brand new bits, all in plastic tubes, that was when I learned that 'sharpening' them meant taking them to stores where they were swapped for new ones and the old ones thrown away.
I still know a couple of bt lads who bring me bits occasionally, my best one was a Kango 637 and a box full of steels, they were going in the skip as they no longer use them any more.
Old 24th Jun 2020, 7:30 pm   #63
Maarten
Dekatron

That certainly is sharp!
Old 24th Jun 2020, 7:37 pm   #64
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Are you sure they made it themselves? I think the good stuff is or was made by Scintilla AG, the throw away stuff might be from another factory that might or might not be fully owned by Bosch.
Well the label is as others, says Bosch Echterdingen Leinfelden. Doesn't mean it was made there of course. But it's a design issue really given that for the most part they have replaceable brushes and this one doesn't. Myself I'm moving towards their brushless range. Can't wear the brushes out on those!
As I read on the Bosch website, there's actually research and production on that location. Mostly bigger hammer drills. I know small electric tools, at least some reciprocating saws I owned but I'm sure other tools as well were made by Bosch subsidiary Scintilla in Switzerland. I should look up if they're still in business.

I can see why Bosch would try to cheap out on locally made designs. Since labour costs are high in Germany, they probably went with an easy design with little manual labour involved. Chinese tools probably still have interchangeable brushes, bearings, etc. as they are hand assembled. You'll probably need to change them relatively often though
Closed Thread