UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2020, 12:16 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default What do people say about your collection?

In the past when I've shown people my collections of vintage wireless and TVs etc. to people, after a minute or so of awe, smiles and pleasant expletives, by far the most common question asked is, "do they all work". If only they knew the time and patience it can take to restore one set, never mind a few dozen! On that point, I do endeavour to get all my sets working but to do so would be a full time job and even though I'm retired I simply am unable and unwilling even to work on sets 24/7 as you may say - not even one day a week often. Most are working, and even more are cosmetically 'pleasing'. But I don't think I'll ever see the day when every piece of vintage kit in my house is 100% working.

What do people say when they see your collections and items?
Old 30th Apr 2020, 1:08 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: What do people say about your collection?

The usual question is "How much is it worth?"

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 30th Apr 2020, 1:57 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Or, do they all work ,and what are you going to do with them Mick.
Old 30th Apr 2020, 2:17 pm   #4
Beobloke
Heptode

They usually tell me I need to get out more...
Old 30th Apr 2020, 2:25 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

I have been asked: "You have lots of old radios, etc.: very nice. But why do you need so many?"

Which on the surface does appear to be an intelligent question. But that Q. simply overlooks the difference between 'need' and 'want'. 'Need', as such, is not relevant; the 'want' meets my desire for a hobby which I enjoy. However, trying to explain that difference to the genuine inquirer can require some diplomacy and careful word phrasing, if unintentionally giving an offence is to be avoided.

Al.
Old 30th Apr 2020, 2:33 pm   #6
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Talking Re: What do people say about your collection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
But I don't think I'll ever see the day when every piece of vintage kit in my house is 100% working.
Ha! This house I live in is over 100 years old. There are many things in it - including basic fabrications, etc.,- that aren't 'working to 100%' by my definition of '100%'. Generally, that's not a problem for me, since I find 'general fixing' frequently rewarding. 'Bored' is a phenomenon I know not, fortunately.

Al.
Old 30th Apr 2020, 4:22 pm   #7
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

One of my most disappointing reactions was by a machinery salesman with the gift of the gab. He had restored his own mk1 Jaguar. All he said was ****** Hell! ****** Hell! around 30 times. RIP Dave.

John.
Old 30th Apr 2020, 5:23 pm   #8
raditechman
Heptode

Most often they ask if they can take a picture.

John
Old 1st May 2020, 10:53 am   #9
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

My bits have been described as homely.
Old 1st May 2020, 5:44 pm   #10
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Seeing the inside of my workshop for the first time, a 50-ish lady visitor whom I know well, having looked round at the bench, cupboards, draws of spares and test gear said: "how long did it take you to collect all this old stuff?"
I told her it wasn't "stuff", and it was a place where vintage radio and electrical items were repaired. Her simple reply was "Oh, I didn't think anyone repaired anything like that anymore. After all, it's of no use, is it? You just get another new one."
This was said without sarcasm or malice.
The workshop visit was quickly curtailed, and we returned to the house for a cup of coffee and a biscuit.
'Nuff said ! Tony
Old 1st May 2020, 7:45 pm   #11
avocollector
Heptode

My favourite thing is when they come in and see my workbench with my modern but modest size solid state double beam scope at one side then they turn around and see this big old Cossor Valve scope to one side with just about every knob under the sun and about 2.5 feet tall. 'Why do you use that little one and (pointing to the Cossor) not that really good one?' is the question every time. Lately I just say 'cos it's not working yet' and leave it at that. But it is funny.

My wife also happily greets me with any new parcel of bits - 'more old junk has arrived!'.
Old 1st May 2020, 9:24 pm   #12
Radio Wrangler

Before they've got into the house, they've already clocked the aerials outside. To the non-technical it's easiest enough to say the radio shack is a private shortwave radio station. Then they notice a microphone or two and the Morse keys... I just add that it transmits as well. What I say next is 'What's your taste in music?' and i pull out some CDs and let the hifi system in the lounge speak for itself. "It was made in that radio shack." is all I have to add.

"You made it?!!!!!"

Job done. and I didn't have to justify a thing.

David
Old 1st May 2020, 9:51 pm   #13
Station X

When you say you made something the next question is generally "where did you get the kit from?"

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st May 2020, 10:06 pm   #14
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocollector View Post
My wife also happily greets me with any new parcel of bits - 'more old junk has arrived!'.
Hi.

I've had that many times too.

I remember my poor old mum used to have a regular moan about my growing collection of TVs and radios encroaching on the space of our house. She used to say " The place is looking like a warehouse with all this old junk". I replied, "Don't worry, it's only temporary, I'll thin it out before long"

Regards,
Symon
Old 1st May 2020, 10:20 pm   #15
vidjoman
Dekatron

The day my daughter was born in 1974 the midwife arrived and asked if the quad UHF aerial array on the roof was for getting signals from space. When she came in she saw different test cards on 3 colour TV's. UK, German and Dutch she seemed impressed. Our local stations were Crystal Palace or Dover or Sudbury as we lived about midpoint to them all. Some days, subject to weather conditions, every UHF channel would have a test card in the early morning mostly German or Dutch with a few others thrown in for good measure.
Old 2nd May 2020, 9:42 am   #16
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
One of my most disappointing reactions was by a machinery salesman with the gift of the gab. He had restored his own mk1 Jaguar. All he said was ****** Hell! ****** Hell! around 30 times. RIP Dave.

John.
I've just realised I may have got the same reaction if I'd shown Him a massive pile of pile of damp radios in a shed with a leaking roof. I think I should clarify a bit with a picture or two.

John.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SN854078.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	204528   Click image for larger version

Name:	SN854076.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	204529   Click image for larger version

Name:	SN854075.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	204530  
Old 2nd May 2020, 9:58 am   #17
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocollector View Post
Hi.

I've had that many times too.

I remember my poor old mum used to have a regular moan about my growing collection of TVs and radios encroaching on the space of our house. She used to say " The place is looking like a warehouse with all this old junk". I replied, "Don't worry, it's only temporary, I'll thin it out before long"

Regards,
Symon
That was always my mums reaction.
This place is like a junk hole why do you need it all?

When people visit me and im in the radio shack , the question i get asked the most is Why do you need so many of one thing!!!

Probably a good question to which i answer its because its there!