UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st May 2020, 7:55 am   #1
Aub
Nonode

Default Bad Smell from Old PCB Material ?

Hello all,

Yesterday I began making a microphone pre amp to use with my amateur radio transmitter. For the front panel, I decided to use a piece of double sided PCB that I've had for decades. This was easy to cut, using tin snips and easy to drill. However, it makes a really bad smell, almost like burning and I'm wondering if it's dangerous, contains carcinogens
etc. It's not fibreglass but the brown stuff ( paxolin? )

Any advice welcome

Thanks
Aub
Old 1st May 2020, 8:09 am   #2
sortedradio
Heptode

Default Re: Bad Smell from Old PCB Material ?

It sounds like SRBP (Synthetic Resin Bonded Paper), widely used still today, as it's cheaper than fibreglass. It's always wise to wear a mask to avoid breathing in dust when drlling or cutting, but I've never heard of it being carcergenic.
Old 1st May 2020, 10:04 am   #3
Aub
Nonode

Thanks for the reply. Ah yes SRBP, i remember that now. It still smells so bad, after hours not touching it. I think i'll start again with something else.

Cheers

Aub
Old 1st May 2020, 10:30 am   #4
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

PCB material always stinks when you cut or break it, even just snapping an old PCB makes it smell, I’ve never worried about it, it does settle eventually, though it’s a good idea to wear a mask if cutting or filing it, I’ve tried breathing the dust, and it’s not nice!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 1st May 2020, 10:35 am   #5
Cobaltblue

It's that old familiar smell from my youth cutting and filing SRBP.

And it smells even worse when it burns due to water going down the back of your old GEC TV when your watering the pot plants!

Call me a sadist but I don't mind the smell its kind of comforting that not everything changes

Cheers

Mike T
Old 1st May 2020, 10:55 am   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

The smell from drilling filing or sawing SRBP is phenol formaldehyde resin I believe, also used in the production of Bakelite. If I'm not mistaken, phenol is carbolic acid. There used to be a factory close to the M1 about Junction 28 - Chesterfield area and the phenolic smell was all pervading when driving past. I rather like the smell, but then I like the smell of felt tip markers and meths too, but don't make a habit of inhaling! (On the other hand, I can't abide the smell of bananas or hyacynths, so I guess well all have our sensitivities).

This link is relevant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenol_formaldehyde_resin
Old 1st May 2020, 2:36 pm   #7
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I've noticed this too in recent years. As a youngster, I recall the smell of cutting and filing the dark SRBP and Veroboards but kind of liked it at the time and enjoyed the aroma as being part of the electronics hobby.

Nowadays I find it overbearing and hate using it. I wondered if there was something going on making it outgas more now than when it was new. This kind of goes against the grain as generally the outgassing ought to become less over time.

Then I started taking notice of other smells and odours which I never gave any attention to in the past. Any solvent paints, spirits, petrol, vehicle exhaust fumes, bonfires etc all seem very potent compared to years ago.
I had learnt that the modern petrol does smell more these days if it has been hanging around in a can or lawn mower for a few months. I think it may be because of the ethanol that's added.

My latest bugbear is the new workshop that I've recently built. The OSB floor and roof odours were too overbearing to work in there. After many months it is easing off but I still need to have the windows and door open to feel comfortable working in there.

In my case, although I haven't been diagnosed, I believe I've developed an ultra sensitive sense of smell (hyperosmia).

I try to avoid smelly chemicals now where possible or at least work outdoors, weather permitting.

Regards,
Symon.
Old 1st May 2020, 5:20 pm   #8
Aub
Nonode

Thanks for all the replies, very interesting.
I've used and cut fibreglass pcb loads of times, but not srbp. I only used it as I had a largish sheet of it id never used.
Anyway, I've remade the front panel in aluminium.

Cheers

Aub
Old 1st May 2020, 10:27 pm   #9
Philips210
Nonode

I've sometimes wondered if it's in order to paint SRBP in order to seal it from the fumes. If it's OK to paint, then does anyone know what type of paint is safe to use? I suppose an oil based enamel paint would be suitable. I also wonder about using water based acrylics which are much safer generally.

Regards,
Symon
Closed Thread