UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 11th Jan 2024, 9:49 am   #1
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default In praise of RS

A week ago, as part of my office/lab rationalisation, I ordered a storage cabinet from RS https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/storage-cabinets/8386576 . Expensive, but by far the least expensive for this size of cabinet.

Two pluses: made from 85% recycled plastic, and made not in China, but Italy.

The first arrived with some of the internal components broken - basically the packing was flimsy, single thickness, and no internal padding. I suspect as a result of the green credentials of the Italian manufacturers.

Phoned RS - they were straight on it. Returns number, and a replacement shipped.

That one also arrived with broken parts.

Phoned RS again. Again exceptionally helpful and apologetic.

What they then did was unpack the many parts in the warehouse, check them, put them back in, and reinforce the flimsy packing with ratchet straps. I have no idea how many they had to unpack to find an unbroken one, but that is not important.

They shipped it next day delivery, and this third one is 100% OK.

They then issued return notes for attachment to the boxes, and DHL sent their own bar codes. Due to be collected tomorrow.

Anyway, RS were excellent throughout, answered the phone promptly, and the named responsible person (Heather Kerr) answered an email from me at 7:35 last night.

Well done RS!

Craig

PS Mods - if this is in the wrong section of the site - please shuffle it off into the right one!
Old 11th Jan 2024, 10:16 am   #2
Sergeauckland
Pentode

Default Re: In praise of RS

Nicely done. With suppliers, I as much judge them on how they do when things go wrong. Stuff happens, but some suppliers work with you to achieve a satisfactory solution, and others don't.

However, in this case, I would question their buyers for inadequate Quality Control as this episode must have cost them rather more than whatever margin they made on the item.

S
Sergeauckland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2024, 10:50 am   #3
Julesomega
Nonode

Their service /is good, my account is decades old yet no problems updating the email address. They must be financing major losses over small orders; I always order for collection from the local branch as it's only a mile away, but when I pick up orders they are packed and addressed for postal delivery, in paper bags inside a padded Jiffy bag, and they follow this up with a receipt sent by post

It's good here
Julesomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2024, 10:54 am   #4
lesmw0sec
Octode

I'd like to add a plus for Cricklewood too. On occasions when things were missing, the email response was immediate and the situation corrected at once.
lesmw0sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2024, 11:50 am   #5
bobbyball
Octode

Have used RS myself in Stockport for collections. Was a bit silly during the COVID episode where you were passed your "parcel" over a table from the open warehouse door but things have moved on from those days. When they sent me the wrong value of capacitor one time a very helpful lady answered the phone almost straight away. You pay for all of this in the prices but it does instill a bit of confidence in the overall service.
Old 11th Jan 2024, 11:59 am   #6
ex 2 Base
Heptode

I've had an RS account for 30 years or maybe longer and they have been 100% every time, if they can do why can't others. Ted
ex 2 Base is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2024, 4:15 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I have been dealing with RS for over 40 years, the only issue I recall was about 1995 when I ordered some switches and several of them came with mounting nuts which had clearly escaped the attention of the thread-cutting elves.

Replacement switches were despatched the day I complained, and arrived by Red Star Parcels at the local station the next morning.

No charge, of course.
Old 11th Jan 2024, 4:22 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

I like RS.
Old 11th Jan 2024, 4:24 pm   #9
barrymagrec
Octode

Sorry to be on the wrong side of this thread, I have had an account with RS for 49 years, mostly quite satisfactory but for some reason in the last month they closed it for no reason, I called customer service, they apologised and said it was a mistake and they would re-open the account but it would take 24 hours - 3 days later, still no account.
barrymagrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2024, 6:53 pm   #10
pmmunro
Octode

I have had an RS account since 1976 and bought through others from about 1962. (A frightening length of time).

Like Craig, I have enciountered problems but have almost without exception been favourably impressed by the response from RS. It's reassuring that such service is still available. They're not perfect, but they are human.

Some of the important factors in giving this service seem to be:

A customers service 'phone line with adequate capacity;

Intelligent, knowledgeable staff with effective training and language skills (not always found in some native UK speakers);

A very positive customer supportive attitude;

First response staff who have the authority to resolve problems without reference to "higher" authority (often just not available from some suppliers. "No you can't speak to my supervisor - not company policy - not available - there isn't one - in a meeting - doesn't speak to the like of you - you're being abusive by asking that");

An efficient dispatch system, both for original and remedial supplies;

An effective returns procedure, not always even requiring the return of faulty/wrongly supplied goods of low value;

A policy which treats the customer respectively throughout.

One downside is that it makes the abysmal service from some suppliers, in the electronic industry and elsewhere so frustrating.

I'd be tempted to let them know but afraid that the service would then deteriorate!

PMM
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2024, 9:36 pm   #11
Simondm
Pentode

At this distance in time I can't remember exactly where it was*, but my dad used to take his young son to Radiospares's trade counter, and plonk me down on the countertop, to be made a fuss of while they filled his order.

It's one my earliest memories of 'going out with daddy.' I would have been three or four, and it would have been 1963 or '64.

*East London somewhere, I think - we lived in North London at the time.
Simondm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2024, 10:04 pm   #12
Keith956
Heptode

I can recall my Dad bringing home Radiospares catalogues in the mid to late 60's, still got a reel of solder from then with that red and yellow logo.

It's a rare thing that the good service they have given for so many years, still exists today.
Keith956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2024, 10:12 pm   #13
Reelman
Octode

Whilst we are feeling nostalgic about R/S…
In the 50s and 60s my wife’s grandfather ran an electrical business in Coventry “H H Croom & sons”. In those days Radio Spares had sales reps who regularly visited their customers. The one who visited Mr Croom always arranged to arrive on a Wednesday lunchtime since he knew he would then get invited to stay for lunch! The reason? Mrs Croom would attend the shop along with her husband on a Wednesday and cook a lunch for him and the sons in the kitchen at the back.

Peter
Reelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2024, 12:12 am   #14
pmmunro
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondm View Post
At this distance in time I can't remember exactly where it was*, but my dad used to take his young son to Radiospares's trade counter, and plonk me down on the countertop, to be made a fuss of while they filled his order.

It's one my earliest memories of 'going out with daddy.' I would have been three or four, and it would have been 1963 or '64.

*East London somewhere, I think - we lived in North London at the time.
PO Box 427,
13 - 17 Epworth Street,
London,
EC2P 2HA

Etched into the memory

The building's not there any more and so that postcode doesn't work.

PMM
pmmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2024, 11:52 am   #15
KeithsTV
Nonode

I used to work in Corby not too far from RS and they had a "milk round" service whereby if you ordered items in the morning they would be delivered by the afternoon.

Keith
KeithsTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2024, 1:55 pm   #16
Kentode
Octode

For a few years they used to deliver my morning coffee, but now they stop my pens from roaming!

For the amount of components I need, Cricklewood are my goto these days.

Are they still going in Hounslow?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240112_124634.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	290900  

BVWS member
Kentode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2024, 2:22 pm   #17
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The trade counter has moved up the road to Costco in Hayes, according to the website.
Ted Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2024, 8:23 pm   #18
initialsbb
Triode

I live in a rural area and behind the counter in the last remaining Post Office was a parcel from RS and it made me happy that there's a fellow enthusiast/tinkerer/bodger in the area! I also like RS, hence my avatar!
initialsbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jan 2024, 10:12 pm   #19
DMarchesi
Tetrode

Yes i think RS are a good supplier when compared to other alternatives, i use a work account for consumables such as mains flex and Hammond 1590 enclosures, fuses etc and have a private account for Electrolytic Caps and IC's etc, their range can be limited but id have to say that of nearly all UK suppliers
DMarchesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2024, 2:02 pm   #20
samjmann
Heptode

I'll seccond all the above. I live in Nottingham only a short drive from the Trade Counter. This is a real bonus in that many items can be delivered to the counter and saves me the PP charges!!

Many years ago the RS rep used to a regular visitor to the workshop. I was looking at a pcb that was used to control feeding equipment in a milking shed. The idea was when the cows pressed their noses against a plate, a shot of food pellets went into nose-bag. This helped milk yeilds. The board was full of relays I'd never seen before as a young Tv engineer. The rep said "Oh, they're continental miniture relays. there is also a plug in base you can fit to swop the relays on-site" So, fitted the relays and base, went to the farm with mate and fitted board. Worked first go.
The farmer was quoted £10K plus for new kit. If it hadn't been for the rep and the comprehensive info available from RS, the system would have been scrapped. SJM.