UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 9th Dec 2011, 1:17 pm   #1
daicocoen
Retired Dormant Member

Default Belgian RTT 56A

Hi
I have a copper RTT 56A which is driving me round the bend at the moment. I bought it about a year ago and it worked well, dial tone, ringing in and out etc. But about a week ago it started to go ape. It would ring with an incoming call but then no sound in or out, then it stopped ringing all together, no calls in or out. Now when plugged in there is no dial tone but with the cradle depressed a faint hum can be heard which cuts out when it is let up. Attached is a picture of the wiring. At the moment it is wired, red to b terminal, blue to S and white to a, this is how it was originally wired when it was working.

Please help before I take the shotgun to it.
Diolch
Dai
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rtt56a.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	59671  
Old 10th Dec 2011, 12:30 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Belgian RTT 56A

If it worked, but now doesn't, it's most likely you have dirty switch contacts somewhere. I note that the line cord has bare wires rather than tags. Is the end of a wire broken or shorted to an adjacent tag? Maybe a terminal screw is bearing on the insulation rather than the conductor?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread