UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 4th Dec 2011, 6:03 pm   #1
alanglobal
Retired Dormant Member

Default Any suggestions for a use for the button on a 8782?

Hello all,

My favourite phone is my 8782 which has the functionality of a modern push button with the style and bells of a 1980s phone.

My question is what use could I make of the button (non latching type) which seem to these day perform no function at all.

Ideally I'd like to use it as a "ringer off" switch, or as a redial button, but it is possible to wire it for anything useful?

thanks

Alan
Old 4th Dec 2011, 6:16 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: any suggestions for a use for the button on a 8782

I think on the 782 and 8782 the button was "Recall", allowing you to switch between callers if you were on the blower and had another caller waiting.

You could use it as a bell on/off switch but, obviously, you'd need to change it to a latching type and do a bit of rewiring.

"The style and bells of a 1980s phone"? The 782 actually predates the 1980's
Old 4th Dec 2011, 7:07 pm   #3
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Any suggestions for a use for the button on a 8782?

Hi,
If you wire the button for Recall use, as originally intended, most exchanges will allow you to perform a "shuttle" call, where, once engaged on a call, you can put the original caller on hold and then dial a second number in order to perform an enquiry, further presses of the recall button shuttling between callers; This relies on two things though - the button has to be wired for Timed break recall (in the 700 series phones this means ensuring that strap T8-T9 is not present and that the Red of the line cord connects to T9) and that the depression of the button provides around a 100ms line break - this is largely dependent on the user though.

An alternative use for the button would be to wire it across T3 - T10 where, if connected so that a depression of the button creates a short circuit, it will act as a transmitter silencing facility.

Regards
Andrew
Old 10th Dec 2011, 4:18 am   #4
Chipmunk
Triode

Default Re: Any suggestions for a use for the button on a 8782?

It is sometimes possible to find latching switches on ebay or other similar sites for the bell on/off feature. I used to sell them myself but sold out unfortunately or I'd have been able to let you have one for Postage only. The switch you need to look out for is a 23A-1. (single pole changeover, locking) or a 23B-1 would also work, although they're rarer, being double pole changeover, locking.
Closed Thread