UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2020, 11:37 am   #21
Sparks
Heptode

Default Re: GPO Wall telephones - how was the line cord installed before plug and socket ?

I have a red 1/706 CB on my living room wall - a Reliance model from circa 1964. Next to it is a rather more recent ivory 8755, also upside-down. I'm waiting for the basics of a green 706 to arrive and it will then take its place alongside the other two, once I've tested it and fitted the line cord, handset cord, dial blank etc!

Not the best picture but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200514_113816.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	205794  
Old 14th May 2020, 1:24 pm   #22
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: GPO Wall telephones - how was the line cord installed before plug and socket ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M0GLN View Post
Regards installation when we had our first phone installed nearly 50 years ago we wanted it in the kitchen at the rear of the house, we didn't want wire all along the skirting boards so I asked the GPO man if I drilled a hole in the floor board by the front door and I went under the floor, would he feed the wire through so I could take it along to re-appear in the kitchen, he was quite happy with that, probably easier for him.
In our last house, a four floor Victorian property, I ran in a draw rope for the Virgin Engineer rather than have snakes and ladders. In the interim, whilst ADSL clings on, having the termination where the cable first enters the house is now the preferred outcome once again!
Old 14th May 2020, 11:19 pm   #23
Sparks
Heptode

Smile Re: GPO Wall telephones - how was the line cord installed before plug and socket ?

Interesting that the design of the 706 and 746 were arguably influenced by the American Type 500 table phones, but that influence stopped with the 711 and 741 with regard to the handset rest. Instead of a cradle for a vertical handset rest as per the 554 and its successors, the GPO instruments had a horizontal rest on the top. However, I believe there was at least one GEC wall telephone with a vertical handset rest. I remember seeing something similar in yellow on a 1970 Doctor Who episode, but that could have been part of an internal paging system.

I think the 554 and 2554 are among the most stylish of wall telephones but the clunkiness of the 1/706s brings a certain British appeal.
Old 16th May 2020, 9:17 pm   #24
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
Interesting that the design of the 706 and 746 were arguably influenced by the American Type 500 table phones, but that influence stopped with the 711 and 741 with regard to the handset rest. Instead of a cradle for a vertical handset rest as per the 554 and its successors, the GPO instruments had a horizontal rest on the top. However, I believe there was at least one GEC wall telephone with a vertical handset rest. I remember seeing something similar in yellow on a 1970 Doctor Who episode, but that could have been part of an internal paging system.

I think the 554 and 2554 are among the most stylish of wall telephones but the clunkiness of the 1/706s brings a certain British appeal.
There was never a mention of the American 500 type influencing the design of the Tele 706 - that has only appeared with the coming of the Internet. Articles of the time around the introduction of the 706 refer to its design being a combination of Ericssons of Beeston with Siemens Ediswan & GPO input plus some 'mods' made by the Council of Industrial Design who approved it. It was said at the time to have been developed from features of the Siemen Century Neophone and the Ericssons Bakelite 1000 series (that was never adopted by the GPO). Contrary to what Wikipedia says about the public wanting a more modern telephone at the time, the GPO had originally looking for a newer telephone by 1955 when about 5000 Telephone No 700's were ordered for field trial - this more modern version never adopted by the GPO after the field trial (but was adopted as the 400 series by Australian PMG Telephone). Then with the coming of STD, a new telephone with a more efficient circuit was required so the Tele 706 was developed from the circuit types tried out in the different versions of the Tele700. Several were produced for use at the opening of STD but it didn't come into 'mass production' until late 1959. Contrary to what has been written again on the Internet, it did not replace the Tele3XX range. The 3XX range was still the standard telephone until the late 1960's - you paid extra to have what GPO Sales Department called the 'Modern' telephone. Don't believe what you read on the Internet - even Wikipedia has lots of 'false news' - you've only got to read the pages entitled 'GPO Telephones' which is full of errors ' like the' Tele710 with provision for four push buttons was produced but no-one knew what it was to be used for until it was used to convert for telephones to be used on the House Telephone System No 3' !! Obvious whoever wrote that knows very little!
Old 16th May 2020, 9:40 pm   #25
Sparks
Heptode

Shows what I know. I can't even get a dial-less 706 to perform.
Old 16th May 2020, 10:54 pm   #26
Oldcodger
Nonode

Quote:
As well as being easiest for GPO man I think the hallway could have been the most convenient place to make or take calls, if your family or friends were all sat in the lounge talking or watching TV and the phone rang could you ask everyone to go and wait in another room while you were taking the call.
Regards installation when we had our first phone installed nearly 50 years ago we wanted it in the kitchen at the rear of the house, we didn't want wire all along the skirting boards so I asked the GPO man if I drilled a hole in the floor board by the front door and I went under the floor, would he feed the wire through so I could take it along to re-appear in the kitchen, he was quite happy with that, probably easier for him.

John
Had a similar thing about 20+ years ago in present house. Swimbo had decided on placement of master socket, on the other side of the lounge door. Swimbo told me that BT bloke jaw dropped a lot when she told him. But he perked up when she suggested a route. In through airvent and picked up via a trap in the floor to be fished to position of master. I was informed that he was a bit perturbed, till she told him I was ex firm and had worked out an easy route , and then she asked if he liked tea or coffee.
Old 21st May 2020, 8:45 am   #27
red16v
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
Quote:
As well as being easiest for GPO man I think the hallway could have been the most convenient place to make or take calls, if your family or friends were all sat in the lounge talking or watching TV and the phone rang could you ask everyone to go and wait in another room while you were taking the call.

John
Had a similar thing about 20+ years ago in present house. Swimbo had decided on placement of master socket, on the other side of the lounge door. Swimbo told me that BT bloke jaw dropped a lot when she told him. But he perked up when she suggested a route. In through airvent and picked up via a trap in the floor to be fished to position of master. I was informed that he was a bit perturbed, till she told him I was ex firm and had worked out an easy route , and then she asked if he liked tea or coffee.
I’ve always found tea and coffee to be the best lubricant in any situation.
Closed Thread