UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2016, 8:23 pm   #21
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Old GPO Office Telephone

No, you connect the line to 4 and 6. (in the planset)

You connect the battery between 16 (-ve) and 20 (+ve) in the planset, although without extensions (and thus no line current in the extension circuit) I am not sure much will happen.

You really need to download the diagrams I mentioned. N625 includes a layout of the planset, and shows how the termnals are numbered.
Old 19th Feb 2016, 10:00 pm   #22
Dave Moll
Dekatron

It's OK, if all you want the battery to do is light up the red and white lamps, this works even without an extension connected. Also the main station happily connects to line without the extension. Beware, however, that the bell in the main unit will only ring on incoming with "speak to exch" selected. When "extn to exch" is selected, the bells are wired in series, so the absence of the extension and its bell means that the bell circuit would be open. This could be circumvented by bridging the connections for the extension's bell (terminals 11 and 14) - though I haven't actually tried it.
Old 19th Feb 2016, 10:12 pm   #23
Earlofdon
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks guys,
I'm on it right now
Old 20th Feb 2016, 2:51 am   #24
julie_m
Dekatron

Terminal 11 - Terminal 14 would be a good place to fit the usual 3.3 kΩ resistor to decrease the REN of the old 1 kΩ bell.
Old 20th Feb 2016, 9:33 am   #25
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Bear in mind, though, that to get the benefit of this resistor, you need to keep the "extn to exch" button operated when the planset is on-hook. You would then need to press "speak to exch" on answer - returning to "extn to exch" when clearing the call.
Old 21st Feb 2016, 5:15 am   #26
Earlofdon
Retired Dormant Member

It works - marvellous!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	120365  
Old 21st Feb 2016, 5:17 am   #27
Earlofdon
Retired Dormant Member

And the other light!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	120366  
Old 21st Feb 2016, 2:28 pm   #28
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
Apart from having the added advantage of the lamps operating the "Speak to Extension Exchange Held" button should allow you to hold a call which is in progress, should you wish to - to be fair that feature should work whether there is a power supply connected to the plan set or not.

Dave Moll mentioned about the bell not ringing if the speak to exchange key is not operated but I'm sure that the bell in my planset rang fine with all keys in the released position. I'll have to check the N diagrams when I get chance.

An extension telephone could be connected on terminals 14 and 16 of the block terminal but you would have to have some additional bits (as already mentioned) for signalling between the extension phone and planset.

Andrew
Old 21st Feb 2016, 3:40 pm   #29
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I think it's only when "extn to exch" is pressed that the bell doesn't ring, owing to the bell in the extension being placed into circuit in series with the main in that position. Apologies if I didn't make that clear. This is my thinking about the resistor only being in circuit with this key pressed.

I must admit that I hadn't checked the "speak to extn" and "clear" states when I made the original comment.