UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2016, 3:27 pm   #1
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Default Dutch PTT W65 wall phone

I have just acquired a W65 wall phone, which came without a line cord. I have today fitted a cord with RJ11 plug in accordance with the colour codings shown against the terminals in the phone (pictures attached). When connected to my Panasonic 308 PBX, the phone will receive dial tone, dial out to another number, and receive a call. Only problem is, the W65 won't ring out when a call comes in. These phones are new to me; anyone out there who might be able to point me in the right direction?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020414.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	118918   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020416.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	118919   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020417.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	118920  
Old 25th Jan 2016, 3:57 pm   #2
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: Dutch ptt w65 wall phone

There's some information here http://britishtelephones.com/pstconv1.htm#non about the desk-top version.

— Joe
Old 25th Jan 2016, 5:06 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Dutch PTT W65 wall phone

The instructions above assume a BT plug with the standard colours of white/green/blue/red. Translating this to the RJ11 lead you are using, given that everything bar ringing is working, I think all you need to do is remove the yellow from "EB" and replace it with a 3.3K resistor between "EB" and "b".
Old 26th Jan 2016, 9:43 am   #4
dagskarlsen
Heptode

As I read the first post, Tgis is connected to a Pana 308 (I have a 616 UK version)
This unit actually use only 2 wires, and to connect her whats needed is as on the encl picture. This is not a conversion to UK standard with high impedance ringers and splitting the circuit in the master socket.

dsk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ptt65.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	118961  

Last edited by dagskarlsen; 26th Jan 2016 at 9:43 am. Reason: spelling
Old 29th Jan 2016, 2:06 pm   #5
Mans Veldman
Retired Dormant Member

The Dutch W65 (Wall) is essentialy identical to the Dutch T65 (Table). You only need to connect the A en B terminal. Dutch PTT used a separate wire for the ringing signal so you could easily connect an extra bell (hence the connection EB wich in Dutch stands for Extra Bel). For normal use you need to connect the EB terminal to the B terminal. The easiest way is to place a strap inside the phone between 4 (EB) and 3 (B).

The normal line voltage is 48V DC, the ringing voltage is 60V AC wich is superimposed on the DC voltage. When the phone is off hook the line voltage drops to 20V DC.

Last edited by Mans Veldman; 29th Jan 2016 at 2:17 pm.
Closed Thread