UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Mar 2010, 3:38 pm   #1
Millay_2010
Hexode

Default Trimphone illuminated dial.

Has anyone ever tried replacing the spent luminescent tube with a bit of rubber tubbing painted with luminescent paint? would it work?

If collective wisdom doesn't think it's a stupid idea, I might just give it a try.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 4:04 pm   #2
richwk1
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: trimphone Illuminated dial

Never heard of it done that way but hey! Give it a bash, what's the worst that can happen, you will have wasted a bit of time. Sorry I can't give any better advice but I haven't worked on many trimphones (706 746 are my thing). Hopefully somebody on here will have more useful input. Good luck.

Rich
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 6:52 pm   #3
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: trimphone Illuminated dial

I don't know that it's been tried before but as Rich says, give it a go! Provided you can get the tube out in one piece you can always put it back if it doesn't work.

Mine's still glowing - faintly - after 40 odd years!

Best Wishes, Lee.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 6:56 pm   #4
Millay_2010
Hexode

What is the glow colour Lee? is it a green hue?

I've been thinking, it's a rather lonely thought but its definitely there perhaps this could work?

http://www.glow.co.uk/acatalog/EL_Wire_Glow_Wire.html
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 8:33 pm   #5
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, it's a luminous watch green if that makes sense.

I don't know if it's worth spending 15 pounds on making the dial glow - where would you fit the battery?
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 8:57 pm   #6
Millay_2010
Hexode

You are correct it's not really worth £15 to do a conversion, but it could be fun!

Locking at the specificationsIi could take an AC feed direct off the line when it is off hook its current draw is only 120mA I think.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 9:12 pm   #7
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Errrrrr.
I didn't understand that at all. Where would you get 120mA from? BT feed is normally limited to 40mA, and you couldn't get that much from ringing. Anyway, you want the glow when it's on hook so you can find it.
Alan
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 9:24 pm   #8
Millay_2010
Hexode

Sorry Alan, I'm not that clever at these things and just thinking aloud really.

I do think that it's fine if it's not illuminated when on hook, power source though could be from a power supply.
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 10:33 pm   #9
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Millay,
I have one, although its 'light' has long since expired. I also had one about 40 years ago when they were new. That was the days when you had one phone, typically in a dark hall. The 'glow' was wonderful.
An external PSU is a possibility, although it really should be a legal one. I'd love to see one glowing properly again. Perhaps someone will crack the problem for us all
Alan
Old 2nd Mar 2010, 11:03 pm   #10
Millay_2010
Hexode

I would like one that glows as it would look so great, having read about tritium (the old glow making forumla), it's pretty safe when you don't eat it or mix it with water.

I'm certainly going to try watch hand paint although I'm not sure this will work too well, theplus is it requires no changes to the case or external power.

The other option is to run it off a 6V DC transformer and use the EL wire. There would be enough space inside the case of the trimphone to put the inverter.
Old 20th Nov 2011, 3:27 am   #11
JWatler
Retired Dormant Member

I have recently painted some white card with luminous green paint which I cut to fit inside the recess which houses the tritium tube behind the transluscent dial back on my 1974 Trimphone.

The overall effect of the luminous dial is very similar to the ones I remember from the 1970s. Exposure to ambient light during the day has so far proved sufficient to maintain the glow during the night. The use of luminous painted card means that the historical integrity of the components of the telephone have not been compromised in any way and it would be very simple to renew or remove the luminous card should it prove necessary in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim 7.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	58839  
Old 20th Nov 2011, 3:58 pm   #12
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Trimphone illuminated dial.

What a good idea, where did you get the paint from?

Robert
Old 21st Nov 2011, 1:51 am   #13
JWatler
Retired Dormant Member

The paint I used was Starglow Glow-in-the-Dark (green) please see http://www.glowtec.co.uk
Old 21st Nov 2011, 11:25 pm   #14
bobbyball
Octode

Cheers!
Old 25th Dec 2011, 12:01 pm   #15
scotfergie
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: trimphone Illuminated dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWatler View Post
I have recently painted some white card with luminous green paint which I cut to fit inside the recess which houses the tritium tube behind the transluscent dial back on my 1974 Trimphone.

The overall effect of the luminous dial is very similar to the ones I remember from the 1970s. Exposure to ambient light during the day has so far proved sufficient to maintain the glow during the night. The use of luminous painted card means that the historical integrity of the components of the telephone have not been compromised in any way and it would be very simple to renew or remove the luminous card should it prove necessary in the future.
You Sir - are a lateral-thinking GENIUS.

Got 4 of these (3 work), and I'm now going to see all the dials glow in the dark.

Many thanks.
Old 29th Dec 2011, 10:33 pm   #16
Chipmunk
Triode

I will add my voice to the 'paint a card with luminous paint' group. It keeps the originality of the (now barely functional) tritium capsule
Closed Thread