UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2011, 4:53 pm   #1
Candyman
Retired Dormant Member

Default GPO / Gecophone Model 706 Not Ringing

Hi everyone

My first post on here, so please be gentle with me ;-)
I have recently acquired a black Gecophone Model 706, which I am attempting to convert and make use of.

After conversion (I did myself) the phone is operating fully except that it is not ringing for incoming calls.

I have read a lot of useful information from this site, and have fault-found my way to the point of finding that the required 75 AC ring potential is not being developed across the coils (T4 and T16) when the I ring my home line.
For this test, nothing else is connected, just the phone on test plugged into the line and I am operating without an ADSL filter.

Before I attempted the conversion, I plugged the unaltered phone into the line to see what it would do, and although I could dial-out, the phone would not ring. This leads me to suspect the phone was faulty or badly wired to begin with.

If anyone could offer any advice or assistance in repairing this telephone, it would be greatly appreciated.

I attached the necessary wiring picture.

Thank you
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phonerepair.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	60108  
Old 20th Dec 2011, 5:15 pm   #2
Candyman
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: GPO / Gecophone Model 706 Not Ringing

I think I may have found the problem (although I have yet to test), and increased my knowledge at the same time.
I have only connected the two wires back into the main wall socket. I am not running the third 'ring wire' back to the socket.
My (limited) understanding is that we are no-longer using the large ring capacitor in the phone, but the one that is located in the Master Socket, and a third wire is needed.
Is this right?
Old 20th Dec 2011, 8:04 pm   #3
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

You need to restrap the phone to use the ringing capacitor in the master socket, and it is recommended to insert a 3k3 resistor to convert the ringing to high impedance bells in parallel.

http://www.britishtelephones.com/pstconv1.htm
Old 20th Dec 2011, 8:26 pm   #4
Station X

Quote:
I think I may have found the problem (although I have yet to test), and increased my knowledge at the same time.
I have only connected the two wires back into the main wall socket. I am not running the third 'ring wire' back to the socket.
My (limited) understanding is that we are no-longer using the large ring capacitor in the phone, but the one that is located in the Master Socket, and a third wire is needed.
Is this right?
Yes. If you're using a modern plug and socket system, the capacitor in the telephone is redundant and, in a converted phone, will be out of circuit. You need to connect all wires of the new plug ended line cord to the phone tags as described in the conversion instructions.

It's also essential that all extension jacks are correctly wired with at least three wires between jacks.

A cursory glance at you picture shows all wires of the line cord connected, presumably as described in the conversion instructions. That being the case I don't see why your phone isn't working assuming it is PLUGGED into the Master Socket. Have you wired it directly without a plug?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th Dec 2011, 10:22 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFoxtrot View Post
it is recommended to insert a 3k3 resistor to convert the ringing to high impedance bells in parallel.
According to the picture provided, this has already been done.