UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2011, 4:10 pm   #1
dougmiller
Retired Dormant Member

Default 746 wired for Europe

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how I could wire a 746 for use in Spain (or most of Europe for that matter) on their 2-wire RJ11 system. My limited knowledge makes me think that I will need to somehow 'bridge' the ringing wire to get the 746 to ring.
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 4:48 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: 746 wired for Europe

For two-wire working substitute a link between T6 and T7 instead of the blue wire to T6, making sure that T8 and T9 are also linked. Otherwise, wire the same as for the UK, with the line between T8 and T18.
Old 2nd Dec 2011, 6:27 pm   #3
dougmiller
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks very much Dave.
Old 3rd Dec 2011, 1:40 am   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

The BT746 has its own internal ringing capacitor for 2-wire working (or 4-wire working with bells in series). Look up the wiring diagram, N846 - I'm pretty sure there is already a link to it if you search for it. Wire the phone per diagram but with a 3.3kΩ resistor in place of one of the straps in series with the bell, and "A" and "B" are the two wires of the phone line.

Spain uses RJ-11 connectors; probably simplest to buy a cheap lead in Spain with an RJ-11 on one end, cut off whatever is on the other end and wire the middle two conductors to "A" and "B".