UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2020, 10:27 pm   #21
Wellington
Hexode

Question Re: T-cut recipe change

How does the Greygate stuff (polishing paste no.5, I think) compare with T-cut (and these other cutting compounds)?
Old 13th Jan 2021, 1:22 pm   #22
OldTechFan96
Octode

Default Re: T-cut recipe change

I've recently used the last of my bottle of T-Cut that belonged to my late grandad who died ten years ago. The bottle could be as much as fifteen years old.

It has worked very well for what I use it for so I hope any (possible?) recipe change does not render it useless.

I have bought a 300ml tin of T-Cut 'The Original Restorer' hoping that it will be as good as the old bottle. A 'Rapid' formulation is available in a larger plastic bottle but a member who tried it said that it was not much use.

When I get a chance to try the new tin I'll report back with my thoughts.
Old 14th Jan 2021, 12:00 pm   #23
PsychMan
Octode

I got some of the red can stuff from Tesco a few months back in a clearance sale.

But just bought some more last week via eBay for a project im working on. Buffing up polyurethane after final denibbing.

It seems there's a lot of people not using it properly based on the youtube videos you see...

Not sure if others concur, but after much experimenting, I've found the best way to use it is to apply it lightly, wait till its entirely dried, which does take a long time.

Then buff with a clean cloth, with moderate force. Too little and it doesn't come off, too much and you scratch the surface more.

With bigger areas it's easy to get caught, the cloth gets saturated and you can be left with tar like smears, or worse, new scratches. So it seems important to use a fresh piece of cloth on small sections when buffing off large areas..
Old 6th Apr 2021, 4:45 pm   #24
OldTechFan96
Octode

I've had a few opportunities to use T-Cut 'Original' and I can say that it is just good as what was in my Grandad's old bottle.

I also was briefly able to use some of the 'Rapid' formulation on some car paintwork and it looked to work OK.

I hope this information is useful.
Old 6th Apr 2021, 5:50 pm   #25
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Greygate I would say is better for Bakelite cabinets , T-Cut is more for cars.
Old 11th Apr 2021, 2:27 pm   #26
Oldcodger
Nonode

Something folks might like to look out for is a car scratch remover. It emerges regularly in Aldi in a plastic box with two tubes, one heavier than the other. I've had limited success with old DVD after a polish with this stuff and a clean down with meths.
Old 11th Apr 2021, 9:05 pm   #27
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Greygate plastic polishing compound is excellent on Diakon and ABS - haven't tried it on Bakelite or Urea Formaldehyde. But it's the devil's own job getting it off your trousers, so don't spill it!

Rontech mentions Solvol Autosol. I've used that to good effect on Bakelite, followed by an application of beeswax. I find Solvol Autosol kinder than T-Cut. Solvol Autosol is very good at removing scratches from plastic watch crystals (not the Hardlex type!).

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 11th Apr 2021, 11:34 pm   #28
kellys_eye
Octode

The list of 'once-good, now-useless' products grows by the day.

The neck of my old T-cut bottle was broken such that it didn't seal properly so now the T-cut is more like a solid mass of paste than a liquid.
Old 12th Apr 2021, 9:09 am   #29
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellys_eye View Post

The neck of my old T-cut bottle was broken such that it didn't seal properly so now the T-cut is more like a solid mass of paste than a liquid.
Have you tried mixing it with petrol to make it fluid again?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 12th Apr 2021, 2:38 pm   #30
kellys_eye
Octode

I'll give it a go! Never occurred to me to use petrol though...... in for a pound, in for 0.001litres.....
Old 12th Apr 2021, 2:47 pm   #31
OldTechFan96
Octode

I've found Autosol to be excellent. I think that it is more aggressive than polishes such as Brasso.

The manufacturers of T-Cut make an automotive polish, which is probably similar to Autosol.
Old 13th Apr 2021, 1:09 pm   #32
Cobaltblue

Several posts deleted and several more edited for totally unnecessary automotive references.

We all know what T-Cut is sold as, and where.

The only thing relevant here is its use on vintage equipment.

Please read this post:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=177297

Cheers

Mike T
Old 14th Apr 2021, 9:11 am   #33
mark_in_manc
Octode

If you have a close-fitting needs-to-be-a-good-fit steel-pin-in-bronze-bush arrangement - perhaps a plain bearing in a motor, or even a tuning spindle - and the thing is a little tight, then a little T-cut mixed with oil makes a good lapping compound for easing things to a really nice fit.

I found this out in a context where the fit _really_ matters. You can lap the clearance and judge it by the feel of the shaft in the bearing.