UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jun 2020, 2:50 am   #41
John KC0G
Hexode

Default Re: Lowe Electronics, Matlock, UK.

I have just seen this thread. Here is some of the later history.

Zycomm purchased Lowe Electronics in about 1992. The 9th and 10th stores were opened after the purchase, and are first mentioned in the February 1993 issue of Short Wave Magazine.

I understand that after the purchase, there was a change in the management style. John Wilson and John Thorpe both left. Shortly afterwards AOR introduced the AR7030. Fred Osterman indicates that it was introduced in 1996. John Thorpe did not design the Lowe HF-250. That was done by others.

The two business partners at Zycomm had a difference of opinions about the future direction of the business. They split. I don't know who took the old Lowe business. The shop in Matlock closed on 15th March, 2008.

Some of this information came from the archives of the LoweHFReceivers group at groups.io. I am the group owner. You are very welcome to join. See https://groups.io/g/LoweHFReceivers The files section includes archives of the messages from the two defunct Yahoo groups, which go back to about the year 2000.

If you have further questions, please ask here or by PM.

73 John
Old 4th Jun 2020, 6:52 am   #42
dsergeant
Octode

Is Bill Lowe still around or is he now 'silent key'?

73 Dave G3YMC
Old 4th Jun 2020, 9:35 am   #43
dsergeant
Octode

ps G3UBO J.B Lowe still listed in qrz.com
Old 4th Jun 2020, 12:03 pm   #44
Radio Wrangler

I've three callbooks to hand.

G3UBO is in the 1984 edition with an address in Chesterfield.
Not there in 2007 or 2015 editions. Not even the usual particulars withheld notice.

David
Old 4th Jun 2020, 4:00 pm   #45
John KC0G
Hexode

Ian Sneap, G3ZYC, on his page at QRZ.com states that Bill Lowe is no longer with us. Ian worked for Bill in the 1970's before founding Zycomm.

As a result of a search I came across an article about the early days of Lowe Electronics in Short Wave Magazine, Feb 1986, pp 500-501. It is an interesting read.

73 John

Last edited by John KC0G; 4th Jun 2020 at 4:10 pm. Reason: more info
Old 9th Jun 2020, 2:11 pm   #46
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I hadn't realised that AOR was essentially a Lowe "brand" - I always thought it was a Japanese company like Icom, Yaesu, Standard etc.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 8:55 pm   #47
Julesomega
Nonode

Yes, AOR always was Japanese: They started a UK branch for John Thorpe to develop the AR7030 under their banner

It's good here
Closed Thread