UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2020, 5:13 pm   #21
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Toroidal transformer catastrophic failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman View Post
The one that failed in the old substation under the building at work, probably dated from the 1950s and I missed the actual bang as I was working four floors above it - so yet to have the pleasure (or not) of a proper failure!
Maybe just as well you missed it, with the likelihood of a spray of hot PCB oil and generous waft of nasty smoke! Where I used to work, a typical grey lump of a stepdown transformer sat on the ground at the edge of industrial units, just a few feet away was a particularly fine, healthy-looking and abundantly-cropping pear tree that I'd always meant to harvest but never got round to. One day, the transformer leaked its many gallons of oil, saturating the surrounding ground- I gave up ideas of pear-harvesting after that....
Closed Thread