UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2022, 8:13 pm   #1
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Default Philco 471 Problems

I recently acquired a 471 with a very poor condition chassis. Rather foolishly I just stripped it down to bare chassis in order to de-rust & paint it bewfore rebuilding. I say foolishly because I didn't make any notes of the connections to the wavechange switch, coils or IF's. I thought I could just rebuild it from the circuit diagram, but firstly the aerial coil had several o/c connections (not the windings but the lead outs were corroded), and more of an issue, it's taken an eternity to work out the connections. Using the resistance readings I have now done that (I hope!), but I'm puzzled about the very complex wavechange switching. Using the ERT data sheet views of the rear of the wafers it appears that the fully anticlockwise position is Short wave - can someone please confirm that. Better still, can someone tell me the waveband order from anticlock to clockwise.
Picture of the very partly rebuilt chassis and what I believe are the aerial coil connections.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	260873   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	260874  

Last edited by Colin Boggis; 13th Jul 2022 at 8:17 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 13th Jul 2022, 8:24 pm   #2
PJC58-Hythe
Heptode

Default Re: Philco 471 Problems

Trader sheet 746 gives some explicit information on the switches and states the fully anti-clockwise position is LW then rotate clockwise for MW, SW and finally Gram. Good luck with getting it sorted.

http://www.retroworkshop.co.uk
Old 14th Jul 2022, 9:21 am   #3
G6ONEDave
Octode

Both trader sheets and the manufactureres service manual are available as downloads from the above link.

Dave
Old 14th Jul 2022, 11:20 am   #4
Colin Boggis
Pentode

PJC58-Hythe - I do have trader sheet 746 and the earlier 190. I had missed the significance of the switch details, not realising (I should read all the text!!) that the wavebands were in order or that they start from LW at full anti-clock. It just confirms my foolishness (another senior moment perhaps!)
G6ONEDave - when you say manufacturer's data is available on the above link, are you referring to the link in the response from PJC58-Hythe?
Old 14th Jul 2022, 12:03 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

https://www.service-data.com/search....&search=Search
Old 14th Jul 2022, 7:45 pm   #6
Colin Boggis
Pentode

The manufacturers data sheet is the best! Very clear picture of underside which will be a great help/ Thanks Nuvistor.
Old 24th Jul 2022, 11:21 am   #7
Colin Boggis
Pentode

I have now rebuilt the chassis, sorting out the switch connections from the various service sheets (very confusing as they use different reference numbers & views of the switch!). The aerial coil had problems, O/C longwave tap & shortwave coupling coils - I managed to repair the LW connection and rewound the SW coil. I haven't accurately followed the original component layout as it didn't seem entirely logical. I noticed later that I'd fitted IF2 into the chassis 90 degrees out, but as it's of no consequence and they're hard to get out, I'm leaving it as is. I was very pleased to find all 4 valves are good - I was concerned the PenDD61 might be duff, but it's fine. I've also modified the top cut tone control from a switch to a potentiometer with push-pull switch as I'll use this to activate a Bluetooth module which is my next move. I've also got the cabinet to strip and re-stain (except the front which will be OK with minor touching-in). I'm surprised at the volume this radio gives from just 3 valves - it's loud!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	471 front.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	261428   Click image for larger version

Name:	471 rear.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	261429   Click image for larger version

Name:	471 top.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	261430   Click image for larger version

Name:	471 underside.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	261431  

Last edited by Colin Boggis; 24th Jul 2022 at 11:23 am. Reason: Grammar!
Old 24th Jul 2022, 4:38 pm   #8
simpsons
Octode

Colin

Had you thought about writing up your experience for the BVWS magazine?

Photo's of the original condition to where you are now would be very rewarding for the reader. The chassis looks better than new and your journey to getting the AE coil, wavechange switch and IF's working would be both instructive and, dare I say, educational.

Chris

Last edited by simpsons; 24th Jul 2022 at 4:40 pm. Reason: Missing IF work
Old 24th Jul 2022, 7:27 pm   #9
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the chassis in it's original condition. Also I'm no longer a member of the BVWS so I don't think I can write articles for them.
Old 14th Aug 2022, 8:24 pm   #10
Colin Boggis
Pentode

Bluetooth unit now added to the radio. activated by a pull switch on a replacement tone control and by selecting "Gram". Had to add amplifier to the KRC-86B as not enough drive without it. Used simple LM386 circuit. Works very well. Blue status LED fitted against the pilot bulb holder. Shows up nicely ( although not obvious in photo as brightness of bulb causes glare on camera)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	262797   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	262798   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	262799   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	262800  
Old 15th Aug 2022, 10:05 am   #11
vinrads
Dekatron

Well done in getting it sorted Colin, very nice, its good to see the dial is in such good condition. Mick.
Closed Thread