UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2022, 8:08 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Alkaline batteries that haven’t leaked

I have been dusting off some old field telephones and signal lamps prior to sale, when I realised with horror that it had been many years since I used them, and the batteries were still inside...

Fortunately I needn’t have worried, as they were all absolutely perfect. The brands were various, including JCB, Maplin, and the military version of Duracell. The oldest cells date from 2007! I consider myself lucky. The reason my forgetfulness didn’t lead to the equipment being ruined may be that there was absolutely no current being drawn from the cells whilst in storage.

A little while ago, I had a similar scare with batteries that had been left inside my collection of cassette players, but for nowhere near as long, and a couple of cells had started to weep. Maybe modern equipment leaves an electrolytic capacitor in circuit across the battery? The current drain may only be very small, but eventually the cell will become discharged, at which stage leakage of its contents is much more likely.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 9th Jul 2022, 8:17 pm   #2
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Re: Alkaline batteries that haven’t leaked

I've had some leakages on devices with a physical off switch, so zero draw. Certain brands leak even while still in their retail packaging and well within date!
Old 9th Jul 2022, 8:21 pm   #3
Bob_Moss
Pentode

I'm still using (occasionally) a calculator with Ever Ready Gold Seal cells dated 1998. Come on you people, I think Phil has set us a challenge here!
Old 9th Jul 2022, 8:23 pm   #4
Bob_Moss
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Moss View Post
I'm still using (occasionally) a calculator with Ever Ready Gold Seal cells dated 1998.
And it doesn't have a 'proper' on/off switch either
Old 9th Jul 2022, 8:30 pm   #5
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Moss View Post
I'm still using (occasionally) a calculator with Ever Ready Gold Seal cells dated 1998. Come on you people, I think Phil has set us a challenge here!
Have a calculator (Sharp) with its original batteries. From the eighties. Doesn't even have the battery low warning yet!
Old 9th Jul 2022, 9:18 pm   #6
paulsherwin

NATO seemed to buy all their batteries from Duracell a while ago, and they were a reliable buy on the surplus market even if past their use by date. They started sourcing from Varta maybe 15 years ago, presumably because of Duracell quality problems. This has been discussed before.
Old 16th Jul 2022, 12:06 am   #7
lightning
Heptode

Not quite the same, but the rechargeable batteries in my 1972 Texas Datamath early pocket calculator still hold a charge and work okay.

It's got four "AA" nicad cells in the battery pack.
Closed Thread