UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2022, 11:25 pm   #101
jamesperrett
Octode

Default Re: Scott Mills to replace Steve Wright on BBC Radio 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
Radio One is very much a teen and twenties station whereas when it started it had a broader age range as demonstrated by the kind of programmes that Jimmy Young presented on Radio One with a spot using recipes sent in by housewives (if I dare use such a term these days).
The Jimmy Young show was broadcast on Radio 1 and Radio 2 simultaneously if I remember right. I believe that this was done in order to reduce "needle time" which was limited to something like 84 hours per week across all BBC national radio stations. So Jimmy Young was never a purely Radio 1 presenter. I seem to remember that Tony Brandon's afternoon show and Ed Stewart's Junior Choice at the weekend were similarly broadcast on both networks too.
Old 15th Jul 2022, 6:23 am   #102
JonSnell
Hexode

We ought to start a "Bring back Mr. Angry" petition.
Absolute sillyness at its best in the middle of a stressful day, working in the sharp end of the service industry, as most of us did at Rediffusion and GTVR.
Old 15th Jul 2022, 7:15 am   #103
stevehertz
Dekatron

And Sid the manager.
Old 15th Jul 2022, 9:48 am   #104
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
Quote:
Radio One is very much a teen and twenties station whereas when it started it had a broader age range as demonstrated by the kind of programmes that Jimmy Young presented on Radio One with a spot using recipes sent in by housewives (if I dare use such a term these days).
The Jimmy Young show was broadcast on Radio 1 and Radio 2 simultaneously if I remember right. I believe that this was done in order to reduce "needle time" which was limited to something like 84 hours per week across all BBC national radio stations. So Jimmy Young was never a purely Radio 1 presenter. I seem to remember that Tony Brandon's afternoon show and Ed Stewart's Junior Choice at the weekend were similarly broadcast on both networks too.
This rather proves the point that Radio One had a broader appeal than it does today and/or that much of the chart music of the time was acceptable to older ears. Interestingly, I remember that Jimmy Young was the most popular of the daytime shows when I was at school.

The sharing of programming across Radio One and Radio 2 continued for a long time. ISTR that David Hamilton’s show was broadcast on both networks in the late 1970s.

However, today, musical tastes are much siloed and the style of presentation with it. Whilst in the 1960s people of my age knew of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and the songs they played, and other major groups of the time, and often liked a lot of the artists who were regularly in the charts, I haven’t a clue about today’s chart acts. I know a couple of names and that’s it.

In this environment Radio 2 has probably done well to service as broad an audience as it does – even though its demographic range is narrower than it once was. Steve Wright has probably presented his show on Radio 2 longer than it existed on Radio One.
Old 15th Jul 2022, 12:56 pm   #105
Beobloke
Heptode

It's funny - as a child in the 1980s i used to listen to Radio 2 much more than Radio 1 as I loved the likes of Ray Moore, Terry Wogan and David Hamilton, and couldn't abide most of the DJs on Radio 1, nor most of the chart music they played at the time.

Now, at the ripe young age of 48, I listen to Radio 1 more than Radio 2. Greg James in the morning has an enjoyable and affable silliness to him and, interestingly, he quotes Terry Wogan as being his broadcasting icon when growing up. Obviously around 50% of the music is utter tripe but they have introduced me to some new artists in the past few years that I really enjoy.

Frankly, with the likes of Scott Mills joining Vanessa Feltz, Liza Tarbuck and Rylan on Radio 2, all of whom annoy me hugely, I can only see me listening to it less and less.

As an aside, I enjoy BBC 6 Music very much and would love to know why it hasn't been allocated an FM frequency, especially given that it has higher listening figures than Radio 3.
Old 15th Jul 2022, 1:28 pm   #106
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesperrett View Post
Quote:
The Jimmy Young show was broadcast on Radio 1 and Radio 2 simultaneously if I remember right.
As in fact was Alan Keith's 'Your Hundred Best Tunes,' I well remember tuning between 1500m LW to 247m MW to see which was most interference-free!
Old 15th Jul 2022, 11:12 pm   #107
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
As an aside, I enjoy BBC 6 Music very much and would love to know why it hasn't been allocated an FM frequency, especially given that it has higher listening figures than Radio 3.
I presume it's kept digital only so help people make the switchover to digital.
Old 16th Jul 2022, 8:41 am   #108
its ur aerial
Hexode

Default Re: Scott Mills to replace Steve Wright on radio 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
. Jeremy Vine actively seeks-out a pit of misery and basks in it until he finds a bigger one.

David
David, I could have not put it better my self.
To start with I was never a big fan of Steve Wright, but I do feel professional talent on the BBC, is being replaced for no reason other than political expediency and nepotism .
Once Mr K Bruce gets the`tin tack`, I am tuning else were.

Ken, G6HZG.
Old 16th Jul 2022, 10:21 am   #109
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Steve Wright and Ken Bruce are knocking on a bit for the current Radio 2 target audience and especially for the new intake leaving Radio One. Many listening to Steve Wright in his pomp on Radio One will be heading towards 60 and a good number beyond it.

There was a plan to replace Ken Bruce with Simon Mayo around fifteen years ago. Around that time the Andrew Sachs incident occurred and the plan came to nought when the Radio 2 management changed. There is an interesting interview David Lloyd (now of Boom Radio) conducted with Simon Mayo which covers it on the 'net somewhere.

Ken Bruce has only ever been a Radio 2 presenter and has always been popular with the older listener. Whilst this may be something of a problem for Radio 2, the other 'problem' for the BBC is that his is the most listened to show, which says much for his ability and professionalism, especially when the playlist has gone 'younger'.

Comment was made upthread about young people not listening to radio. The last quarter RAJAR figures showed that Radio One had around 7.5m listeners and Radio 2 14.5m listeners. It is true that many youngsters listen to alternatives. There is little new in this. When I was at school much of my listening and that of my friends was to LPs for the reason that the music we liked (of quite diverse strands) got little airing on the radio of the time. Given the cost, borrowing from each other was frequent. I can remember rainy days in the summer holidays when my record player was on most of the day. However, there were many others I knew whose interest in popular music was scant, had no interest in buying records and were content with what was available over the air. One or two even preferred to listen to Radio 2! (And there was even an underground bunch of us that listened to Radio 4!)

Last edited by Junk Box Nick; 16th Jul 2022 at 10:29 am.
Old 16th Jul 2022, 12:16 pm   #110
Radio Wrangler

The BBC seem to have decided that once you get beyond 60 your entire radio entertainment will be classical music, cricket and current affairs and are moving as fast as they can to that position.

They do allow modern classical music on R3, and nothing seems too avant-garde sometimes. If I performed the whole of the Ring Cycle in Morse code, I think they'd play it.

But whole decades of adventurous rock have vanished.

David
Old 16th Jul 2022, 1:02 pm   #111
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The BBC seem to have decided that once you get beyond 60 your entire radio entertainment will be classical music, cricket and current affairs and are moving as fast as they can to that position.

They do allow modern classical music on R3, and nothing seems too avant-garde sometimes. If I performed the whole of the Ring Cycle in Morse code, I think they'd play it.

But whole decades of adventurous rock have vanished.

David
Agree totally David. There must be room (meaningful listeners figures) for a BBC radio programme that plays, I dunno, 'evergreen' stuff from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s? And maybe even a touch of 90s thrown in for good measure. But modern pop a la X Factor 'here today gone tomorrow' 'pop stars' singing monotone, over-produced pap to make it into something listenable is just not on the radar of most people above say the age of 50. There could be a vast range of programmes, covering eg the aforementioned chart hits, plus special shows for soul (Northern Soul is very popular), rock, folk/rock, jazz-rock, American rock, plus interviews, quizzes etc etc.

Truth be told, I am slowly but surely being turned off listening to the radio - is that what the BBC secretly want?!

I simply never listen to R1, R3 is not really for me, but I agree with it, R4 I do listen to but it's very biassed towards women's issues I find, R5Live I do sometimes listen when it's a sport that I'm interested and occasionally other stuff too, leaving R2 that each day is moving further and further away from what I want to hear. I'm not so concerned as others about who does the presenting, although I do like SW, I want to hear music that my I enjoy listening to, and I know there's a big, broad, elderly age group who feel the same way.
Old 16th Jul 2022, 2:10 pm   #112
ms660
Dekatron

Not listened to the radio for yonks, no point, it's all online for what I might want.

Stuart (Mc) Henry on Radio 1 back in the day was one of the ones for me.

Lawrence.
Old 16th Jul 2022, 4:46 pm   #113
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I have to pretty much echo David’s and SteveHertz’s comments.

Fortunately, I have always enjoyed classical music – though I learned to buy classical records on the way home from school rather than in the lunch hour – so I listen a lot to Radio 3 though it isn’t what it was. There is a determination to get away from the traditional staple diet and introduce more young announcer voices to get away from the traditional Radio 3 style.

It was mentioned up-thread about 6 Music replacing Radio 3 on FM. It’s my hunch that the BBC would be in favour of such a move. They have already replaced Radio 3’s FM outlet in Wales with Radio Wales but I think that if R3 FM was removed from England and beyond the BBC might face vociferous protest from a small but very articulate sector, despite the best listening experience being online. I really thought that Covid would provide cover for slimming down the BBC Orchestras and the Proms but it was first night last night and they seem to be back to full strength. I did read somewhere recently that other ideas for funding the orchestras are being considered. I think the BBC Concert Orchestra must be on borrowed time as it has traditionally been a Radio 2 Orchestra and there would seem to be less call for its services these days. Friday Night is Music Night went to Sundays during the pandemic and anything that is moved to Sundays is on the way out. (I gather Tony Blackburn’s Golden Hour show has also been moved to Sunday evening.) The cost per listener of Radio 3 must be huge compared to Radio One, 2 and 6 Music.

Classic FM does very safe programming relying on popular and inoffensive classics. They know their audience well and where it is likely to come from. Many listen for the presentation style and are not bothered that full symphonies, etc., are rarely played. No chance of Harrison Birtwistle on there! For all that it has done much for raising the profile of classical music generally. At launch how many would have bet on it lasting this long?

Radio 4 I use far far less than I used to. I find Times Radio useful for a lot of current affairs, though Radio 4 Today still gets the big interviews. I rarely listen now but, suffering broken sleep I tuned in to 5 Live overnight a couple of nights ago and it has turned into another phone-in programme.

A lot of popular genres are now missing from BBC output but the original audience for Prog Rock, Folk and Folk Rock, and Northern Soul, etc., are now in their 70s. The Jazz diehards are probably even older.

I have found that I have to mine the community and listener supported stations at home and abroad for the content I want. Some of the production might be ragged but I forgive that if the presenter knows their stuff. As they are often volunteers they are invariably knowledgeable enthusiasts committed to their genre.
Old 16th Jul 2022, 6:15 pm   #114
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Regarding music-channels for those of us who grew-up in the 60s/80s/80s/90s [I include myself therein]; there are a bunch of Absolute-radio streams targeted at us, along with Greatest Hits Radio, and Smooth Radio

Smooth has a bunch of MW frequencies:

Smooth Dorset – 828 AM
Smooth Essex – 1359/1431 AM
Smooth Gloucester – 774 AM
Smooth Hampshire – 1170/1557 AM
Smooth Kent – 1242/603 AM
Smooth North Wales and Cheshire – 1260 AM
Smooth Norfolk – 1152 AM
Smooth Plymouth – 1152 AM
Smooth Suffolk – 1170/1251 AM
Smooth Sussex – 1323/945 AM
Smooth Wiltshire – 936/1161 AM

and they're worth trying to hear if like me you'r a a bit of a MW DXer.

[IMHO anything's better listening than BBC Local Radio]
Old 16th Jul 2022, 6:49 pm   #115
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
I think that if R3 FM was removed from England and beyond the BBC might face vociferous protest from a small but very articulate sector, despite the best listening experience being online.
If it were lossless compression, maybe. Still, since R3 spends half of its time talking to itself these days, perhaps it matters less than it did...
Old 16th Jul 2022, 7:46 pm   #116
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Objection m’lud. I listen to radio 3 almost exclusively. I find it equally entertaining and informative. The presenters are knowledgeable about the subject with out any waffle, when they do go off on a tangent there is humour but it’s, dare I say, not blatant.
So I’ll stay with the uncompressed FM classic and jazz.
Old 17th Jul 2022, 11:06 am   #117
nicam49
Hexode

Talking of iconic broadcasters (Stuart Henry R1?.... iirc he only had a Friday lunchtime show on R1)... anyway, for me it was Kenny Everett, and his Thames TV shows are being aired on Saturday mornings on a new Freeview channel called That's TV, on ch 65. not yet been mentioned in Radio Times.
Re Steve Wright; in his early incarnation I think he modelled himself on Ken, even looking a bit like him...

Last edited by nicam49; 17th Jul 2022 at 11:12 am.
Old 17th Jul 2022, 11:24 am   #118
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicam49 View Post
Talking of iconic broadcasters (Stuart Henry R1?.... iirc he only had a Friday lunchtime show on R1)...
The Bar-Kays (Soul Finger)

Lawrence.
Old 17th Jul 2022, 12:56 pm   #119
nicam49
Hexode

The Bar-Kays (Soul Finger)

Got it! Had to find it on youtube..... but really needed the bagpipes for a proper ending .... ��
Old 17th Jul 2022, 1:03 pm   #120
Cobaltblue

As we have now drifted far away from the origins of this thread it's time to close.
Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread