UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2022, 10:57 am   #1
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Dialling code - Herm Island

Does anyone know what, if any, the dialling code was to reach Herm in the Channel Islands from Guernsey.

I know that the following codes existed from Guerney (0481) -
82 Alderney
83 Sark
91 Jersey (0534)

See attached photos I've had for a long while (source unknown)

There is one list of codes on the internet which includes -
0148112 xxx? Herm, Channel Islands
but doesn't know where the info came from - seems odd to have it as '12' from Guernsey when other codes were 8X .

Modern day Herm numbers are in the 01481 70XXXX & 75XXXX ranges as part of the Guernsey 'Linked Numbering Scheme' i.e. no codes within the 'exchanges' on the 01481 numbering scheme.

I have also seen a 700 style telephone with inbuilt transistorised ringer with a 'Herm' dial label .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DL-Herm-a.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	259248   Click image for larger version

Name:	DL-Herm.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	259249  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 12:36 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Dialling code - Herm Island

I have in my bookmarks a site www.area-codes.org.uk which had all sorts of useful information about area codes and their history, but it seems to have disappeared, which is a shame.
Old 19th Jun 2022, 1:13 am   #3
Hermitcrab
Triode

Default Re: Dialling code - Herm Island

I found the attached picture on Flickr dating from 1981 which shows the phone box on Herm, still Button A/B and taking 5p pieces! The instructions tell you that you could only dial other Herm numbers yourself, and Guernsey and everywhere else had to be obtained via the operator. However, this didn't necessarily mean that you couldn't dial Herm from Guernsey.

Therefore it is conceivable that the local code for Herm from Guernsey could have been 12 before Herm adopted Guernsey numbers, but we may never know for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50055513997_5c2d111b4c_b.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	259306  
Closed Thread