UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2022, 2:42 pm   #1
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Valve radio repair series starting in Practical Wireless

I don't buy PW regularly but I happened to buy the March 22 issue and I noticed it features the start of a new series of articles on the repair of valve based equipment. It's aimed at people who've never touched valve gear before.

The first instalment deals with safety, the desirability of an isolating transformer, needed test gear and so on. Next month it goes on to discuss the valves themselves. It looks as though it may run to quite a few parts / episodes.

The vast majority of you here may not find much that you don't already know but as a child of the (Germanium) transistor age I just missed the valve era. For anyone else like me, it may be worth following.
Old 4th Mar 2022, 4:59 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Valve radio repair series starting in Practical Wireless

Seems good, and in any case, good for the world of vintage wireless where if the stats here are correct, we're a disappearing species. Thanks for the advice.
Old 4th Mar 2022, 5:15 pm   #3

I wish I had that series in 1970, would have saved me lots of bangs. Dick and Smithy* educated me a bit.

*Humorous repair shop shenanigans in PW (I think it was PW).

Old 4th Mar 2022, 5:17 pm   #4
ronbryan
Octode

*Humorous repair shop shenanigans in Radio Constructor

Ron
Old 4th Mar 2022, 5:20 pm   #5
Boulevardier
Octode

I really had no idea that PW was still being published. Haven't seen it on sale anywhere for yonks!

Dick and Smithy - don't think that was PW. Was it "Radio Constructor"?

Mike

[Edit - sorry, crossed with Ron]
Old 4th Mar 2022, 6:53 pm   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I tend never to see PW on supermarket magazine shelves: I bought this copy from the well stocked WH Smith in Keswick, Cumbria. They also had 'Radio User' which is a more general hobby radio magazine, a direct descendant (Via 'Radio Active') from the old Short Wave Magazine as far as I remember.

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 4th Mar 2022 at 7:02 pm.
Old 4th Mar 2022, 7:15 pm   #7

PW, PE and Radio User are stocked in twos or threes at Maidenheads WH Smith, under a shelf and nearly invisible.

Old 4th Mar 2022, 7:36 pm   #8
rontech
Heptode

I used to get Radio Constructor for preference. It used to feature more interesting articles than other mag's and was most infomative.
Old 4th Mar 2022, 7:53 pm   #9
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
PW, PE and Radio User are stocked in twos or threes at Maidenheads WH Smith, under a shelf and nearly invisible.
Yes, I always exit WHS in an almost doubled up posture, having looked for ages for the radio mags.Takes a few minutes to reach full height again 😀😀

Aub
Old 17th Jul 2022, 8:54 am   #10
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Just an update, I made another 'Holiday purchase' of PW (August 2022) - this time in WH Smith, Fort William - and I see that part 3 of the 'Valved Radio Repair' series has now moved on to looking specifically at the Bush DAC90A. Must be an 'occasional' series if we are only on to part 3 when the 1st instalment was in March.

Also in the same issue, 'Doing it by design' has a design for a 2-valve low-voltage regen / reflex receiver, so quite a valve-heavy issue.
Old 17th Jul 2022, 10:41 am   #11
David Simpson
Nonode

Steve & Sirus, in the initial response posts, expressed a view that this PW project would benefit the VR fraternity. As was my view when initially viewing this thread. However, the last post revealing that a Bush DAC90 was to be used as an example in the article, rings a warning bell. A heffing AC/DC set, given too much cult credence, is the wrong radio to encourage young PW readers into getting interested in valve sets. A decent reliable AC woody or bakelite 3 valve TRF would be much better. Then move onto a S/het where T/hex & DDT's & T/pent. are use. In my book, an in the book of an increasing number of Forum guys, AC/DC sets should be confined to "display only" shelves, on safety grounds.
Talking of electrical safety in general, a bit OT, but has anyone seen this months IET magazine, with its damning report on Electrical Safety ? Well worth a read.

Regards, David
Old 17th Jul 2022, 1:39 pm   #12
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
In my book, an in the book of an increasing number of Forum guys, AC/DC sets should be confined to "display only" shelves, on safety grounds.
I'd argue that on safety grounds, AC/DC sets are safer than AC-only sets with a mains transformer.

I've had a couple of ancient transformers fail on me, with smoke and heat - if these had been unattended, it could have been nasty.

Whereas AC/DC sets, when they fail, usually burn out a resistor (made of non-flammable material!) and die gracefully.

I know which I'd rather have...
Old 17th Jul 2022, 1:41 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, swings and roundabouts, I suppose.

We need to be aware of the potential pitfalls of both to keep safe.
Old 17th Jul 2022, 4:07 pm   #14
Dave757
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Hi,

Same at WH Smith Great Yarmouth, - at the right hand end of the
lowest shelf, and at the back.

Kind regards
Dave
Old 17th Jul 2022, 5:24 pm   #15
Aub
Nonode

Hence my post #9

Aub
Old 17th Jul 2022, 5:40 pm   #16
Reelman
Octode

Worth repeating as was in the “Practically Wireless” column in PW…..
Chap goes into a newsagents and quietly asks for a copy of PW, the newsagent raises himself to his full height and loudly states “we don’t stock that kind of magazine here!”. Abashed our enthusiast exits leaving the other customers wondering what sort of delights they have been missing.

Peter
Old 17th Jul 2022, 6:00 pm   #17
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Quote:
In my book, an in the book of an increasing number of Forum guys, AC/DC sets should be confined to "display only" shelves, on safety grounds.
I'd argue that on safety grounds, AC/DC sets are safer than AC-only sets with a mains transformer.

I've had a couple of ancient transformers fail on me, with smoke and heat - if these had been unattended, it could have been nasty.

Whereas AC/DC sets, when they fail, usually burn out a resistor (made of non-flammable material!) and die gracefully.

I know which I'd rather have...

The mains transformer in my CR100 gave out with a loud whooshing sound and a spectacular geyser of thick waxy smoke, the lam stack was hellishly hot- I think that there's a good chance that a fire could have ensued if I hadn't been around to switch off. Even close fusing might not have acted that quickly in the event of being unattended.
Old 17th Jul 2022, 6:04 pm   #18
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Really? It's not a position I've noticed being taken in these parts. I can understand it for any household where young children are even remotely likely, even briefly, to be left unattended. In the opposite situation here - we don't even know anyone with young children - AC/DC radios and one or two devices more hazardous yet are used at will.

One substantial factor in favour of the DAC90A as an introduction to mains-powered valve sets is surely that it's more numerous than any other model, so a few dozen novices might all be able to come up with one in reasonably short order. Further, the necessary warnings about the status of the chassis can be unequivocal: a great many more ifs and buts would be required to prepare someone to work safely on a random AC-only set, unless they were simply instructed to be every bit as cautious of it in every regard as is needful with a 90A.

Paul
Old 17th Jul 2022, 6:29 pm   #19
David Simpson
Nonode

I suppose 'twould be best to wait until the DAC90 article is published. Who is the actual author, does anyone know? Perhaps a well regarded chap in VR circles ? Should he mention just plugging a twin-wire flex straight into the mains, then my views are vindicated. Hey - it might be that numpty they had on "Repair Shop" two or three series ago.
Personally, I would have used a simple one-valve amp., before delving into a 3 or 4 valve radio.

Regards, David
Old 17th Jul 2022, 6:48 pm   #20
G.Castle
Heptode

I would have thought that the Bush would have been an ideal set to train a newcomer on, due to the very fact that it is a good example of what to be wary of safety wise on many counts.
Closed Thread