UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Aug 2022, 6:53 pm   #1
daveyb88

Default Hitachi SDT-2690 R - Speaker Help

Hello, please need some help!

Have acquired a Hitachi Music Centre, SDT-2690 R.

When purchased it worked fine but only one speaker had a din connector and the needle was broken.
I replaced the record player needle.
I also put new din connectors on the other speaker and two spare speakers I had. (This model allows for four speakers)

Since I wired up all the speakers and plugged them in the sound has stopped working. I know the speakers work as I tested them on another hifi.

Anybody had this before and know how to solve the issue? I have opened up the unit but can't understand it as have no manual or anything for it. Wiring for the speakers in the unit itself seems fine....
Old 14th Aug 2022, 7:48 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Hitachi SDT-2690 R - Speaker Help

Well, without wanting to state the obvious, if it worked before you did anything to it, then what you have done has caused the problem you now have. I'd backtrack all the work done and check for shorts, correct polarity, etc etc. Does it not work on any of the inputs - radio, cassette deck?
Old 15th Aug 2022, 9:49 am   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

The first thing to check is the push buttons, the contacts may be tarnished , operate all the buttons several times , are you sure there were no shorts on the speaker plugs easy done with din plugs , Mick.
Old 15th Aug 2022, 10:35 am   #4
Analogue man
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
The first thing to check is the push buttons, the contacts may be tarnished , operate all the buttons several times , are you sure there were no shorts on the speaker plugs easy done with din plugs , Mick.
And if this and the above advice fails I would look for a blown fuse, it is possible that connecting 2 sets of speakers to each channel may have taken their combined impedance below that which the amplifier can handle. If the unit is completely dead then try the plug fuse first but if unit has no sound but otherwise appears to operate then it will be an internal fuse, it may be obvious but don't be tempted to replace any faulty fuses with ones with a higher value.