UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2022, 9:43 pm   #1
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Possible Tropo UK west coasts 18th/19th July

I keep an eye on William Hepburn's tropo forecast and it is currently suggesting that there is a strong tropo lift over Northern / Southern Ireland and the Irish Sea in particular tonight (Monday) and possibly tomorrow night (Tuesday). I happen to be in the far west of Scotland at the moment but I am absolutely dead-beat after walking in the heat for most of the day, I don't think I can walk down the stairs, much less drive to a nearby coastal high point.

Anyone in that area hearing anything?
Old 18th Jul 2022, 11:36 pm   #2
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Possible Tropo UK west coasts 18th/19th July

WHAT is a "tropo " forecast ?.

Joe
Old 18th Jul 2022, 11:54 pm   #3
Nuvistor
Dekatron

[QUOTE=joebog1;1485833]WHAT is a "tropo " forecast ?.

Joe[/QUOTE

https://dxinfocentre.com/tropo_eur.html
Old 19th Jul 2022, 12:02 am   #4
joebog1
Banned

So the abbreviation was just to confuse people that live in the TROPICS and go troppo in springtime.

Joe
Old 19th Jul 2022, 12:07 am   #5
Julesomega
Nonode

8th/9th July https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrMkwKMneTA

It's good here
Old 19th Jul 2022, 7:22 pm   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
So the abbreviation was just to confuse people that live in the TROPICS and go troppo in springtime
Not really Joe, 'tropospheric' (when pertaining to propagation) is widely abbreviated to 'tropo' but I take your point and will always refer to it as 'tropospheric propagation' in future so that there is no room for confusion.

I was today on the Isle Of Eigg (Scotland, for those outside the borders of our miserable little cloud-wracked British Isles) and I climbed An Sgurr and even remembered to take a dual-band handy with me. It should have been a perfect radio day, perched on a towering rock quiff on a little island with a strong possibility of a tropospheric lift ongoing... but... when I unpacked everything including the radio on the top I found I had forgotten to include ANY of my aerials, largely caused by my chronic inability to decide which one to take. I'll probably never make it there again but can recommend it as a good prospective radio site, based on its relative height and the way the ground falls away rapidly in almost every direction.
Closed Thread