UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2022, 10:59 am   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Odd audio puzzle

That Rotofon, with its speakers on the "fan blades" and connected by a slip ring commutator, is something special!
Old 15th Jul 2022, 11:36 am   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I knew about the Leslie speaker, but not the Rotofon.
Old 16th Jul 2022, 10:43 pm   #23
GroovyG
Pentode

Hopefully not wandering too far OT, many years ago I came across a real organ (i.e. one with wind and pipes) that employed what appeared to be a rather poor attempt at a tremulant effect. [The tremulant is typically applied only to the Swell division of the instrument, being the pipes controlled by one of the keyboards (manuals) that are enclosed in a wooden box fitted with a set of shutters that is operated by a pedal.] In this instrument was mounted in the top of the Swell box a pair of paddles on a horizontal shaft, turned at perhaps 2 rpm by an electric motor.
The resultant eddies from this device would presumably produce fluctuations in air pressure at the ends of the pipes, thus tiny AM and FM effects on the sound. I will say that the effect was far from convincing compared with the more usual tremulant that, I believe, modulates the air pressure supplying the pipes.

Last edited by GroovyG; 16th Jul 2022 at 10:53 pm.
Old 17th Jul 2022, 6:00 am   #24
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Don't you mean two revs per second, 120RPM?
Old 27th Aug 2022, 6:17 pm   #25
GroovyG
Pentode

Graham / rambo : of course you're correct. Doh!
Closed Thread