UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2022, 9:30 pm   #1
galileo
Diode

Default Copal RD 700 - 90mm Speaker supplier?

Hello, first post! I recently bought a 1974 Copal RD 700 clock radio, the case had been used as soldering station, was filthy and not working. I've cleaned everything up, got the radio working again with new components, repaired the clock mechanism but my last thing to do is the speaker which has gone well past it's use by.

The original speaker is a Samsung 90mm square frame 8 ohm (90R07B), not expecting to find an original one, but was surprised that I could find no UK suppliers selling a 90mm or 3.5" speaker, can anyone recommend a source were they have seem some? The only one that matches I could find was in Australia, https://www.wagneronline.com.au/3-5-...954/969415/pd/

Only alternative I can think of is to use one of the widely available 80mm speakers and use the original mounts to clamp.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 9:20 am   #2
radioman
Heptode

Default Re: Copal RD 700 - 90mm Speaker supplier?

Hello Galileo and welcome to the forum.
I've got some of these, either the one in the picture below or another (which I can't find at the moment) identical to the one you linked to.
Both of these used to be sold by CPC but like a lot of useful things, not anymore !
You can have the speaker FOC - you just pay for the postage (around £4).
If interested, drop me a PM.

Regards,
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90mm_speaker.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	260433  
G-QRP #12697
Old 6th Jul 2022, 11:09 am   #3
galileo
Diode

First place that I looked was CPC, as you say I was pretty sure that they used to be really common so to save my sanity I dug out an old paper Maplins catalogue (kept for sentimental reasons from childhood), and they had a few choices listed at 90mm. I shall drop you a PM!
Old 6th Jul 2022, 11:44 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo View Post
The case had been used as soldering station
I'm curious to know more about that!

Click image for larger version

Name:	clock.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	260563
Closed Thread