UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2021, 8:57 am   #21
dglcomp
Heptode

Default Re: Vintage Transmitting Valves and Halls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
I wondered if the floor tile patterns in Russell's post #18 were intended to indicate combiner arrangements, also if the fluorescent lights were actually connected to anything....,

Colin
From news reports bout issues villagers in Hooke were experiencing I guess the field strength was rather high! I'm somewhat amazed the low power TV relay ever worked as it must have ben a right pain keeping the SW signals out of it.

There are some more pictures inside Rampisham here, http://www.bbceng.info/Operations/tr...m-pictures.htm
Old 8th Feb 2021, 9:08 am   #22
Radio Wrangler

Second photo in that link, down the left hand edge shows a stack of racked units, each looking to have a National inc. "Velvet Vernier" dial aka HRO tuning knob.

Now the real HRO one has a right-angle gearbox behind it, driving variable capacitor sections on each side.

But I picked up an oddball variant at a rally some years ago. It has an in-line reduction gearbox behind it, and the cover has "Muirhead" cast into it in large, friendly, letters. I've never seen any others like it, but I wonder if I've now seen some in the wild.

David
Old 8th Feb 2021, 9:58 am   #23
G4XWDJim
Octode

I remember seeing a UHF signal generator some years ago with an HRO tuning dial. I tried turning it and it felt just like an HRO but I’ve no idea what what was inside. It was a sizeable unit I recall.

Jim
Old 8th Feb 2021, 10:15 am   #24
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
'... floor tile patterns in Russell's post #18 were intended to indicate combiner arrangements, also if the fluorescent lights were actually connected to anything...'
Hahahaha! Never thought of that! There were no HF senders combined at Rampisham (They did so at Daventry though). Maybe they were for ballroom dancing? I'll never forget turning up on evening shift once and watching two engineers, who happened to be top-class ballroom dancers, waltzing down the sender hall with some Strauss blaring out of a speaker. I never did ask who took the womens' steps...

Each sender's 50 Ohm Zo unbalanced output went to their respective Baluns atop the yellow 'climbing frame' visible left background there, behind the Marconi senders, and from there was routed to the outdoor switching matrix, thence to the antennas via 328 Ohm Zo trunk-feeder (boxed-in open wire feeder).

I've seen fluorescent lighting within the senders work switched off, and in the crypt at Skelton B.

Paul M: when the Germans were installing the AEGs they were very blase about running them up with the doors off, etc... and they wouldn't let the Marconi lads near! We did the grid-box (mod. valve switching unit) course - I did a RMP one and a SK one - with the likes of Tudor Pike and Bill Walker from Marconi, and they were excellent. They gave us a week's course on all aspects. Can't remember any other Marconi names but remember faces.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread