UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2017, 9:41 pm   #101
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Sounds of the Sixties - Brian Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyNut View Post
Lets hope we dont lose "Friday night is music night!"
Don't give them any ideas, I certainly hope we don't lose it..

Frank
Old 9th Mar 2017, 9:46 pm   #102
evingar
Octode

I'm struggling with the concept that music has to be age banded. I'm in my mid 50s and Al Bowley, Henry Hall, Artie Shaw "et-al" are certainly not what I was listening to when I was a teenager. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate listening to that type of music now. I look to R2 to provide me with that listening option, along with pop / rock from the 50s,60s,70s,80s 90s and (God forbid) 90s, 00s and 10s.

Basically, my view is that R2 should offer a wide spectrum of music that is not catered for by the output of R1 and R3.

I would say thought that it becomes more difficult with the later periods, becuase of the disintegration of the traditional music business model and the fragmentation of what used to be called "The Chart".
Old 9th Mar 2017, 10:35 pm   #103
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes Clive/Chris and in fact I would argue that in some ways music is more eclectic than it ever was but not in the view of those in charge who like to keep it simple for the Corporate structure. Everything else is looked down on. The reaction to closing 6Music down is some proof of that. It's television I know but there's a constant pressure to shut down BBC4 and they've even enlisted Mark Lawson on this in today's Guardian If it's creative, cheap and popular it's an outdated failure apparently The irony is that most people making decisions will listen to very little of the output-too busy with game playing.

Dave
Old 10th Mar 2017, 12:36 am   #104
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by evingar View Post
I'm struggling with the concept that music has to be age banded. I'm in my mid 50s and Al Bowley, Henry Hall, Artie Shaw "et-al" are certainly not what I was listening to when I was a teenager. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate listening to that type of music now.
I'm of a similar view but I'm afraid that we're in the minority. Many are only comfortable with what they heard in their youth and rarely move away from that. This has been the same for generations with most older generations decrying that which the younger one prefers.

In its earlier incarnation days Radio 2 was, for the want of a better term, an all-age general entertainment station with various genres of music, comedy, a bit of sport, etc., and Radio 1 played the pop to a somewhat wider demographic than it does now. However, in a society that has steadily become dominated by the culture of youth, quite some years back, Radio 2, despite its large audience, began to be perceived in some quarters as having an image problem that subsequently it has made monumental efforts to shed. It was a cocoa and slippers station for the 'wrinklies' - and if you listened to it and weren't in sight of your pension you probably didn't own up to the fact. Graduates from Radio 1 were likely to disappear to commercial radio and this was seen as a problem. Despite not relying on advertising the BBC knows that ratings matter in order to justify the licence fee and thus Radio 2 gradually adopted a populist approach along with tabloid style spoken content in its daytime output. Having been a regular Radio 2 listener from my twenties (odd, I know) in my view it is now a very dumbed down station compared with the one I remember.

However, the divide is not solely a music policy issue. The style of delivery and become a turn-off for many. From my unscientific sample, Classic FM would seem to have gained many older Radio 2 listeners who, whilst not classical music buffs, struggle with the delivery style of much of Radio 2's daytime output.

It is my view that in terms of entertainment radio the BBC is largely failing the audience that falls into, for the want of a better definition, the older demographic. As a public broadcaster it should serve the broadest of audiences and with special attention to those that are not attractive to commercial broadcasters. Perhaps what is required is a Radio 2 extra but in the current financial climate that is a forlorn hope.
Old 10th Mar 2017, 12:19 pm   #105
telstar
Octode

The story of music radio makes an interesting post. It is strange that we in the U.K were given "permission" to have commercial television but commercial radio was not allowed. If it had been so at that time, probably better coverage of music would have been allowed. I read once that the BBC did not understand public demand for pop music and admitted that they did not know how to organize it. Not enough effort was made to inaugurate these changes at the time, and they still struggle to organize their music stations in the public interest.
Mike
Old 10th Mar 2017, 12:34 pm   #106
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I think it's pretty clear that was the case Mike and probally still is. When Bury Library first progressed into lending out music via vinyl and cassette the Librarian that [for some unknown reason] they decided to put in charge of the new venture stocked it entirely with Classical Recordings. Oh my goodness! It caused a bit of an uproar to say the least

Dave.
Old 10th Mar 2017, 3:02 pm   #107
Junk Box Nick
Octode

In addition to the 'culture' issue, the BBC were also hamstrung by Musicians' Union agreements and limits on public performance of recorded material. These weren't just a UK-BBC problem as there were restrictions on US musicians which in turn made touring the UK difficult for American stars of the day and vice versa.

'Needle time' restrictions remained well into the commercial era which resulted in many phone-in, news chat and consumer issue and 'swap shop' programmes and relatively early evening close downs of some stations.

Of course if a station operated in international waters under the flag of convenience of a far distant territory none of this applied or could be enforced.
Old 15th Mar 2017, 4:19 pm   #108
telstar
Octode

It is a great shame though that for some organization that is supposed to have the public interest at heart, the public have little say in what they may choose to hear. I have taken the liberty to suggest some rarities (via email to SOTS) in order that some of the rarer records may receive at least some exposure so that listeners can discover them.
My enthusiasm dates back to the 1960's, and I discovered alternative radio stations. For some unknown reason, my father did not like us listening to the radio ships (before 1967) as the establishment that he worked on was a top secret M.O.D place. I still think that the Cold War had something to do with the closure of alternative radio but that is another story.
For those who had to live through this it was difficult to find something else to listen to!
Cheers
Mike
Old 15th Mar 2017, 11:14 pm   #109
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Last Saturday I had to be up at an early-ish hour so I took the opportunity to have a listen to the new incarnation of SOTS as I went about my preparations and it was pretty much as I expected.

However, the show is called 'Sounds of the Sixties' and I soon came to the conclusion that when it comes to recreating the sound of the sixties this is about as authentic as it gets.

Tony Blackburn followed his time-honoured routine with plenty of lively chat and self-deprecating humour over zippy background music as he linked a string of big hits. No chance of any dead air during this show and Arnold must be the longest lived dog in history! TB has the pedigree: he was on Radio Caroline, 'Big L' Radio London and the Light Programme (he jumped ship (pun intended) before the Act designed to sink the pirates came into force), and of course opened up Radio One and was its flagship presenter for some years. Been there and done it with the biggest stations of the period. This sounded just like the sixties - all that was missing was the heterodyne whistle and a commercial break here and there.

There was plenty of instant audience interaction which is de rigueur for Radio 2 shows these days so I would guess that down at Wogan House it ticks all the boxes whilst being tucked away enough not to alienate the mainstream R2 audience.

Only one other criticism: The jingles seem a bit too modern - perhaps they should get some run up at PAMS.
Old 16th Mar 2017, 12:21 pm   #110
Brigham
Octode

I've not heard the new incarnation yet, but from the reports here, it is very like I expected.
A scholarly programme ABOUT the music of the 'sixties has become a RE-CREATION of a 'sixties 'pop' programme.
Both fit the title; it's all a matter of personal preference.
Old 18th Mar 2017, 4:16 pm   #111
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I think fiddling with R2's schedule is almost as likely to cause outcry as moving The Archers! I was sorry to hear about Mr Matthew's departure, but I have to adnit didn't often listen as Chrissi couldn't stand his 'frog in the throat' voice. But it was nice to hear his measured and informed comments on records, especially the more unusual ones. However hopefully, unlike the estimable Jimmy Young, he will be allowed back to present programmes - after all his first hand knowledge of The Beatles is second to none. And wasn't Cat Stevens' 'Matthew and Son' inspired by the often mis-spelt Brian Matthew?
Digressing slightly, at the other end of the (week)day I am dismayed to find Janice Long and Alex Lester have gone. Admittedly JL's show had become more 'playlisty' but she's now been sidelined for a prercord of a 'pick of the pops' with Paul Gambaccini and a more pop orientated show - not the same thing at all.
I'd also like to express my appreciation of the late Desmond Carrington. Did anyone hear the very moving tribute to him by his partner on the Jeremy Vine show last week?
Things move on...
Glyn
Old 18th Mar 2017, 4:42 pm   #112
ms660
Dekatron

I thought that Cat Stevens Matthew and Son was just a social comment of that time, a bit like Donovan's Gold Watch Blues.

Lawrence.
Old 18th Mar 2017, 4:59 pm   #113
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes it was, but that's where the ficticious name apparently came from!
Old 18th Mar 2017, 5:38 pm   #114
ms660
Dekatron

His tailor apparently.

Not that I'm an expert on these matters.

Lawrence
Old 18th Mar 2017, 9:22 pm   #115
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I think it's become something of an urban myth! Anyway, my understanding was that he's seen a shop or factory called *** and Son - perhaps his tailor? - but obviously couldn't use it as the song didn't show the firm in a good light. Then he was due on Brian Matthew's show and changed the name.
Not that i'm an expert on these matters either!
Glyn
Old 20th Mar 2017, 1:34 pm   #116
Brigham
Octode

I'd forgotten that Cat Stevens used to be good!
Old 20th Mar 2017, 4:23 pm   #117
telstar
Octode

Hi. I still find it disappointing. Because the show is now "live", I have heard that only email requests sent on that day of the programme broadcast are relevant and anything else sent in advance does not count.
Mike
Old 5th Apr 2017, 12:09 pm   #118
bobsterkent
Hexode

Jeremy Vine has just announced the death of Brian Matthews, so he wont be back!
Old 5th Apr 2017, 12:10 pm   #119
Alistair D
Nonode

Radio 2 news has just reported that Brian Matthew has passed away. Sadly the end of an era.

R.I.P.

Al

Edit. Sorry cross posted with Bobster
Old 5th Apr 2017, 12:13 pm   #120
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I have just heard the sad news on Radio 2. The end of an era, RIP Brian Mathew.
Closed Thread