UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jun 2014, 12:11 pm   #1
Stuart R
Heptode

Default BBC Three Counties Radio MW audio glitches

I was listening to "The Late Paul Barnes" last night and I was hearing frequent glitches on the audio, using my Ekco A22. I was tuned to 475m, so assume this is the 630kHz from Lewsey Farm, Luton.

I noticed the same last weekend listening to Keith Skues on Sunday night, but by morning all sounded OK again on that frequency. I have no idea how the AM distribution system works but both these programmes are simulcast with other Local BBC stations in the South-East. Could it be related?

It was the sort of sound that at first had me reachng out for the wavechange switch to wiggle a dirty contact -however, other medium wave stations sounded clean, including the more distant simulcasts. I'm pretty certain I could detect the glitches on a cheap transistor set also and its got a sort of stutter to it, suggesting a problem with a digital feed somewhere.

I'll try to listen again tonight and report back, has anyone else in the area noticed this, or is it just (very) local to me?

Thanks for your time,

SR
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 2:19 pm   #2
timewave
Pentode

Default Re: BBC Three Counties Radio MW audio glitches

The BBC MF services up until recently have been fed over BT Kilostream which terminates at the TX station in a BT Musicline unit which then presents the recovered audio to the PIE (program input equipment).
However BT support for the Musicline is coming to an end so each station will be fed from satellite in the future. Some sites have already gone over but I don't know if yours has yet.

John G4IJD
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 6:39 pm   #3
michamoo
Hexode

Yes iI have noticed the poor audio from this transmitter too. The problem is from this site only as the same evening programs on medium wave from BBC Cambridgeshire and Norfolk sound just fine. The fault has been this way for some weeks now and isn't to apparent on speech but very noticeable as soon as music is playing. Almost sounds as if some kind of limiter is coming into operation too early or similar. Maybe no one has bothered to complain but you would think someone from Three counties would be listening to their own output from time to time.
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 8:36 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

Why would you assume that? Maybe once, but nothing is safe from the present reality.
If no-one raises problems, no-one will know to do anything about them.
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 9:10 pm   #5
paulsherwin

With a BBC local radio problem the easiest thing is to phone reception and leave a message for the station manager. S/he should then delegate someone to ring you back and eventually someone should actually listen using a radio.

Off air monitoring used to be done routinely in the studio control room to check broadcast quality but I don't think that's even possible now. Many stations have their output playing in the background in reception, but that will be the FM service, and the stations are mostly unmanned in the evenings anyway (that's the whole point of this 'regional network' stuff).

Incidentally, I've just listened to 3CR on 630kHz (the signal does get to Oxford, just about) and couldn't hear anything wrong with it, though it was 3CR specific programming (some music show) rather than the SE networked stuff. This was using a Sony ICF-5900W.

[later] I've just listened again at 22:30 and it does sound a bit ropey, but it's possible that this is a reception problem given that it's after dark and I'm outside the nominal service area.
Old 22nd Jun 2014, 10:32 pm   #6
Stuart R
Heptode

Thanks for your thoughts and to you Paul for taking a listen. That's good going for Oxford, maybe I need to improve my antenna arrangements. I went upstairs just before 10pm after turning off as many CFLs, SMPSUs and the wifi. BBC 3CR still has to fight against a load of other noise and general pops and splats and I'm not far away.

I couldn't hear anything wrong with the Nesta McGregor show before 10 and don't think I could hear anything amiss in the Frankie Howerd number at the top of The Keith Skues show, but I think there were a few glitches in the 'opening menu' after his theme tune.

I wonder if michamoo has heard similar this evening? Glad it's not just me.

Thanks John for the insight into the distribution; if there is a problem with unsupported kit, I wonder if anyone will have the spares to fix it, or we'll just have to wait for the upgrade to come along. Looking forward to more delayed pips(!)

Good Night & Happy Listening!

SR
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 12:02 am   #7
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

During daylight hours I can pick up 3CR quite clearly on 630KHz on some of my radios. I will give it a listen tomorrow and report back.
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 1:19 am   #8
paulsherwin

The problem here is the glitches only seem to be present when the networked SE regional programming is being broadcast overnight. I also get a clean signal during the day, but at night there are the usual AM reception issues which make problem analysis difficult.

I don't know what the transmitter setup is on 630kHz but it must be impressive if the signal is getting to Bristol during daylight hours
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 9:52 am   #9
michamoo
Hexode

Here is this transmitters page on the Mb21 site.

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/lewsey-farm.php
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 10:12 am   #10
paulsherwin

It's an impressive structure, but is only running 200W as far as I can make out.
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 12:10 pm   #11
Station X

S9 signal in Ipswich. Some background hiss. About a 70 mile path.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 1:49 pm   #12
Stuart R
Heptode

Maybe I need to do better than 10' of single core tied-off to a bird table as my antenna as my reception is swamped in noise. The glitches do sound like a digital fault rather than a crackly wire and are only audible when tuned to that wavelength so I doubt that they are coming fom elsewhere.

3CR isn't my usual listening choice, but might move the radio around a bit this evening, or try another and see how that compares.

Pleased that michamoo has noticed something too, but that's only 2 of us!

SR
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 5:10 pm   #13
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

Guys,

Fault already known about and under investigation!

My Blog - http://g7mrv.blogspot.com
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 6:02 pm   #14
Stuart R
Heptode

Cheers Martin.

Got through to 3CR this afternoon who took a listen and confirmed they can hear the glitches too, so looks like another 'jobcard' might be created.

Maybe I should have just called Reception Advice fom the outset, but last time I did this I twice got the usual "no faults logged, try moving your radio into a different room" when it turned out to be a transmitter fault that was not detected.

At least my ears (and michamoo's) were not playing tricks on us!

I shall stay tuned for an update.

SR
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 6:59 pm   #15
paulsherwin

"Reception advice" is a waste of time if there is any sort of transmission fault. You will just be given lots of infantile suggestions about improving reception and also be told how wonderful DAB is.

You can flag up local radio problems by contacting the station, as they obviously have a vested interest in resolving faults. National problems are a nightmare as you will immediately be lost in bureaucratic and subcontractor hell. Complaining here is probably as good an approach as any, even though it's OT for the forum strictly speaking.
Old 23rd Jun 2014, 10:12 pm   #16
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

I agree with Paul, if you mention it on here, then I should spot it eventually, and can investigate, assuming its one of our managed services (very few are not!). I'm actually on secondment to our commercial radio desk for 6months!

As for reception advice, I'm sure you'll appreciate I cannot pass comment! I
The job for BBC 3CR was raised today, quite possibly as a result of Stuart R's call (I overheard one of my colleges raising the ticket!)

Old 24th Jun 2014, 12:38 am   #17
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I did listen today at around lunchtime. It does sound more like an audio processing fault especially evident on music whilst during speech it sounds like a distinct rattle after every word. It is an unusual type of distortion one that I have not heard before.
Old 24th Jun 2014, 4:15 pm   #18
Martin G7MRV
Heptode

The fault has been identified and our engineers and those of certain 3rd parties are working on a resolution.

I'm sure you'll all appreciate that I can't discuss actual details at this stage.

Martin

Old 25th Jun 2014, 8:45 pm   #19
Stuart R
Heptode

I gather that normal service was resumed, just after 10am this morning.

Listening now, no pops and splats anymore -just need to get my aerial arrangements improved to get rid of annoying drones and whines from other sources.

Thanks for those who reported back, I just needed to be certain it wasn't just me before I alerted the 3CR staff!

I didn't want to launch another rant about Auntie's off-air monitoring or Reception Advice issues, so Mods, I think we can close this one.

Regards,

SR
Closed Thread