UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jun 2014, 1:19 pm   #81
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: What's the best audio output valve?

I agree quite a lot - cost being quite important (see my post early on in this thread).

Only down side is that modern-day cost isn't a technically viable quantity to reckon by - unlike original manufacturing costs which did depend quite a lot on production difficulties, exotic materials, etc.

The EL84 is not my favourite valve, but I agree it does have a lot going for it and I've never had a problem with one. It just runs stinking hot at its max ratings (which I agree, doesn't have to be done). The fact that it is still in production says much, too.

Now, if Mullard had raised it to 15W anode dissipation and put it in a B9D bottle...
Old 12th Jun 2014, 1:49 pm   #82
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
The EL84 is not my favourite valve, but I agree it does have a lot going for it and I've never had a problem with one. It just runs stinking hot at its max ratings (which I agree, doesn't have to be done).
In the design I am developing, while owing a lot to Williamson, the Mullard 5/10 and the Leak Stereo 20, I am planning to reduce the operating temperature and stress of the EL84s by running them in parallel. There will be four valves per channel in UL push-pull, developing 20W rms and no more.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 14th Jun 2014, 8:14 am   #83
PE9ZZ_JO22KI
Pentode

@bikerhifinut: I trust my ears as well but only in a blind A-B test. With carefully adjusted leveling (SPL meter). So I modded my Joepie China (Rik Stoet) quad EL34 to quad KT88 with new Amplimo (Vanderveen) toroids for output transformers. I then noticed two things. The KT88s have a different impedance than the EL34 (duh!). The toroids dramatically improved sonic quality and it now sounds almost the same (!) as my sand-based amp (my trusty Philips DFA888).

Tjerk, 9ZZ
Old 14th Jun 2014, 8:19 am   #84
PE9ZZ_JO22KI
Pentode

Quote:
Now, if Mullard had raised it to 15W anode dissipation and put it in a B9D bottle...
They (Philips) did and called it EL503. Lovely device only stinking rare.

Tjerk, 9ZZ
Old 16th Jun 2014, 9:28 pm   #85
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Mullard didn't but Brimar did. The EL506 has an anode dissipation of 19W in a wider bottle on a B9D/Magnoval base and was specifically designed for audio. Indeed Brimar included a complete circuit diagram for an amplifier based on the EL506 in their Design Data manuals. Unfortunately the front end was an ECC807, which is very scarce, but the input sensitivity is 220mV which is far too high for today's signal sources, so it could be redesigned with more common ECC series valves if the EL506 were readily available, which it isn't. It's not as scarce as the EL503 apparently is (what a chunky valve!) but the world's entire supply of New Old Stock seems to have been bought up by a firm in Taiwan (!), if eBay is anything to go by.
Closed Thread