UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2014, 8:54 pm   #41
neutronic
Pentode

Default Re: What's the best audio output valve?

At a local fair in our village I once saw a couple of output amplifiers with enormous valves.
They were labeled as Kronzilla KR T1610.

What struck me was the fact that the double triodes had their anodes/plates mounted on top of each other.
But most of all their absurd size was impressing.

A search at the the web gave this information:
With its large plate dissipation (150W), the T1610 is much bigger than the 845, the next largest triode made. The Kronzilla tube measures nearly 12" tall, over 3.5" in diameter, and weighs almost two pounds.

After hearing the price of the complete set I left the hall with some polite oh´s and ah´s.
It was somewhat over my budget.

Jard N.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KRT1610.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	93841  
Old 5th Jun 2014, 9:08 pm   #42
neutronic
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
Can you do UL with those things? I suppose they have some affinity with beam tetrodes in the sense that all their "grids" are beam focussing rods.
I´m sorry for this stupid question,but what is the meaning of ¨ UL ¨

Jard N.
Old 5th Jun 2014, 9:13 pm   #43
turretslug
Dekatron

UL = Ultra-Linear. Our friend t'interweb will explain much better than I can.
Old 5th Jun 2014, 9:16 pm   #44
turretslug
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutronic View Post
A search at the the web gave this information:
With its large plate dissipation (150W), the T1610 is much bigger than the 845, the next largest triode made. The Kronzilla tube measures nearly 12" tall, over 3.5" in diameter, and weighs almost two pounds.
It is most impressive- but I fear that both the cheesy moniker and the gold-plating place it outside the forum's remit
Old 5th Jun 2014, 10:10 pm   #45
Radio Wrangler

Maybe those Freudian psychoanalysts do know a thing or two?

David
Old 6th Jun 2014, 9:51 am   #46
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
It is most impressive- but I fear that both the cheesy moniker and the gold-plating place it outside the forum's remit
I doubt the gold plating does anything for the performance! The T1610 looks like nothing more than a shiny version of the trusty 212E, which is the same size. Designed for audio amplification, as far as I know: we have a couple of old ones in the family which were spares for a 1kW valve amplifier. By some measure, maybe size, weight and power, they're definitely the 'best' output valves!

Chris
Old 6th Jun 2014, 10:47 pm   #47
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Assuming that that's the dominant distortion then with 26dB negative feedback (Harold Leak managed that back in the 1940's) you'd be down to 0.35% which isn't too bad. It's the same as the EL84-based Mullard 5-10 when that's operating at just 10W and it's three times better than the stock version of the much loved Mullard 3-3, for example. If you drop down to 25W then the distortion drops by another factor of two (see the graph on the 28th page of the Application Report) and I reckon you could make a decent case for that being hi-fi
Despite the apparent advantages of this valve none of the major manufacturers of the 1950s seem to have used it. I can only find a reference to Selmer guitar amplifiers and a single-ended military amplifier developing 2 watts.
Old 7th Jun 2014, 8:18 am   #48
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Re: the 6BW6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Despite the apparent advantages of this valve none of the major manufacturers of the 1950s seem to have used it. I can only find a reference to Selmer guitar amplifiers and a single-ended military amplifier developing 2 watts.
I'm aware of a couple of public-address amps that used it, and have also seen it used to provide anode-and-screen modulation to a QQV06/40a.

Then there's always the Codar AT5 which uses a single-ended 6BW6 to drive a 6BW6 output valve.
Old 8th Jun 2014, 4:49 pm   #49
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Regarding the several QQV dual beam tetrodes, does anyone know of their use in audio amplification? They are usually VHF transmitter valves but the data sheets say they can be used as AF OP valves.

Not sure if this would be a drawback but I notice that the "screen grids" of each side is connected. Would this present a problem if used as a audio OP valve.

Andy.
Old 9th Jun 2014, 9:39 am   #50
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I'm aware of at least one commercial marine transmitter that uses a 6-40A as a modulator.
The commoned screen-grids aren't a problem - just feed them from a potential-divider between the main anode HT supply and earth, and decouple sensibly.

But remember to include lots of "stopper" resistors and ferrite beads in the control-grid and anode circuits, just in case you find you've built an audio-amp that aspires to being a push-pull VHF oscillator.
Old 9th Jun 2014, 12:37 pm   #51
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Wobble View Post
Not sure if this would be a drawback but I notice that the "screen grids" of each side is connected. Would this present a problem if used as a audio OP valve
It does rule out ultralinear connection for push pull.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Jun 2014, 1:42 pm   #52
Radio Wrangler

There's the YL1130 dual beam tetrode with a common screen. As said, it rules out ultra-linear use or even triode connection (unless you parallel both halves of the thing)

What it does have that will get the phools very excited is a directly heated cathode.

It was intended for PMR and aviation VHF and the direct heat was for very fast turn on so it didn't need to stay hot.

David
Old 9th Jun 2014, 2:10 pm   #53
mole42uk
Nonode

8 or 9 watts in Class C - what'll it do at audio frequencies in AB1?

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 9th Jun 2014, 2:32 pm   #54
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

The YL1130 is an odd looking valve David in that you can seen the grid windings. is the 8w power out per each side of the total of both sides?

I've accumulated a few of these lesser known dual beam tetrodes such as the QQV03/10 in the hope the one day my knowledge will catch up to the point where I can design an amp around them.

These QQV types can be had NOS for a sensible price at present.

Andy.
Old 10th Jun 2014, 2:05 am   #55
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
It does rule out ultralinear connection for push pull.
But I think it should still be possible to attain distributed loading, with similar net effect to conventional UL, by using partial cathode loading.

Cheers,
Old 10th Jun 2014, 6:49 am   #56
PE9ZZ_JO22KI
Pentode

I've seen Chinese designs using a push-pull VHF transmitter tetrode as well as amplifiers using a QQE03/12. Bit like ELL80.

Tjerk, 9ZZ
Old 10th Jun 2014, 7:55 am   #57
Radio Wrangler

I think the 'best' audio output valves are now priced out of the reach of many people who would like to either restore a piece of old equipment, or to learn a bit by building something.

Is current production done as diligently and to the same standards as when these devices were at their peak? It's difficult to judge because people's comments are strongly flavoured by beliefs.

What we're seeing now are aficionados looking for other devices because of the rarity and price of NOS preferred types. They're going to work their way through every NOS valve in existence that they can get gain out of.

Perhaps the title of the thread would have been better in the past tense... What WAS the best audio output valve? Then answers don't get flavoured by the currently distorted market for such things and can be related back to saner times when people listened to music.

David
Old 10th Jun 2014, 8:25 am   #58
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Perhaps the title of the thread would have been better in the past tense... What WAS the best audio output valve? Then answers don't get flavoured by the currently distorted market for such things and can be related back to saner times when people listened to music
Well, I certainly didn't expect the amount of interest that this thread has generated. I agree that there's an incredible amount of silliness about in the audio world but what this discussion has done for me is to crystallize my ideas for a new valve amplifier. I will base the build on the Mullard 10W design, but using four EL84 valves per channel for the output. These are current production valves, they are made in sufficient quantities to ensure reasonable quality control and they are obtainable at sensible prices from many of the usual electronics component suppliers such as RS.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 10th Jun 2014, 8:44 am   #59
Radio Wrangler

That sounds good to me, Richard. I have this feeling that original parts would best be conserved for use in original equipment. If new valves are turning over in any quantity, then decent process control will be needed to get profitable yields, as you say.

The EL84 certainly has a reputation for sound quality and it certainly fits in with several Leaks I've repaired over the years. The only problem is that they discolour at a hell of a rate and look like they're about to fail any moment. They don't of course, but they worry me.

After you've done it, why not have a go at a somewhat more difficult task? try designing a good transistor amplifier. It's possible, but it's definitely harder than doing a reasonable valve amplifier.

David
Old 10th Jun 2014, 8:44 am   #60
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchrodyne View Post
But I think it should still be possible to attain distributed loading, with similar net effect to conventional UL, by using partial cathode loading
All the competent designs for *RF* Linear use of the 6-40a specify you need to feed the screen from a regulated [250V] supply. These valves also like high HT+ voltages: 750-850V being typical in SSB service, where according to the specs you can get 87 watts PEP.

"Ultra-linear" wiring of push-pull output valves always seems intuitively a bit strange to me - since it means you're constrained to using an anode HT-voltage no greater than the valve's maximum screen-grid voltage.
Closed Thread