UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th May 2014, 6:14 pm   #1
kellys_eye
Octode

Default Another callsign query

I've been trying to resurrect my old G4 callsign but have been having real difficulty obtaining the proof I need.

My original documentation is long since lost and even my recollection of dates is suspect - I 'think' I sat my exam in 1977 or 1978 and I was issued the G4GQB callsign shortly thereafter.

My employment as a radio officer on deepsea vessels meant that, for years, I didn't act on the amateur radio side of life and the amateur licence subsequently lapsed.

Efforts to find an entry in an RSGB callsign book have failed (so far) and I've been thinking that a FoI (Freedom of Information Act) request may be a better move since the people who NEED to know my previous information are the people that actually HAVE it!

I would have thought that the authorities would be able to TELL me that I had a licence therefore proving my case - however attempts to take this line have met with the usual beauraucratic nightmare leaving me as the one who has to do the proving. Catch 22.

Anyone else had experience of proving who they are and their licence (pre) status?

PS - I feel sure that if I went live on-air and used my (old) callsign they very quickly check their records and discover I am who I claim to be
Old 17th May 2014, 7:01 pm   #2
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Another callsign query

computer say no!
Old 17th May 2014, 7:12 pm   #3
Station X

1976 Call Book stops at G4EFZ. I got my G4I-- call sign in 1979.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th May 2014, 8:00 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

The 1985 callbook jumps from G4GQA to G4GQC and I don't have one between that and Grahams '76 one.

I did the RAE as a kid but never got to anywhere I could take the morse test, then I took up other interests and when the bug bit again the paperwork was long lost. The multiple choice wasn't as easy as the written answer exam, but you certainly don't want to do all the multiple hoop jumping of the current version.

David
Old 17th May 2014, 8:12 pm   #5
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellys_eye View Post
My original documentation is long since lost and even my recollection of dates is suspect - I 'think' I sat my exam in 1977 or 1978 and I was issued the G4GQB callsign shortly thereafter.
G4GQB is listed in the 1979 Callbook, at an address in Thornaby. I could scan the relevant page for you if it helps.
Old 17th May 2014, 9:30 pm   #6
kellys_eye
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post
G4GQB is listed in the 1979 Callbook, at an address in Thornaby. I could scan the relevant page for you if it helps.
Just to prove it, the address should be Epping Close.

It would be brilliant if you could do that for me - thanks. I'll PM my email.
Old 18th Jun 2014, 9:50 pm   #7
kellys_eye
Octode

Just to let people know that the kindness and generous assistance of the membership on this forum has resulted in my successful re-validation of my amateur radio licence which was received today.

G4GQB is now legal once again!!!!

Thanks in particular go to Nick and Dave
Old 19th Jun 2014, 5:46 pm   #8
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I nearly chucked my 1980 callbook but you never know when something will come in handy!
Old 19th Jun 2014, 7:13 pm   #9
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellys_eye View Post
G4GQB is now legal once again!!!!
That's a good result, thanks for letting us know (and for the email).
Closed Thread