UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Oct 2011, 2:54 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default "HD" TV 75th Anniversary

The current Radio Times has a small supplement in the middle with a reprint from 23/10/36! You'd never know this, as its only just flagged on the Downton front cover! The first Director of TV Gerald Cock] [yes]predicts screens of "not less than 24x18 ins" in the future and television being "more suitable for all kinds of information" although "lighter entertainment will certainly have it's place". He's "less confident" about films though, "I believe viewers would rather see an actual scene of a rush hour...than the latest in film musicals". An attitude that survived for at least another 50 years. Not exactly a major commemorative effort I'd suggest. It's even sponsored by a Dept Store but I don't blame them. Their advert showing a range of Tv sets over the years is quite good!

There is a mention on BBC4 [of course] on this Wednesday's [half] TV night 2/11/11.
3 repeats-
And Then There Was Television [2006]
The Fools On The Hill [1986] and
Regional TV [2010?]

Finally, my Guardian, last Saturday 22/10/11, came with a copy of the events brochure for the Nat Film and TV Centre in Bradford. This detailed
"Alexandra Palace; A Celebration" 12-30pm to 6pm, on Sat 22nd Oct! Reading this at 3pm was no help. I was even close by in Lancs at that point. I wonder if anyone on the Forum knew about this and managed to attend?

Dave W
Old 29th Oct 2011, 5:13 pm   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: "HD" TV 75th Anniversary

Hi Dave,

Yes, there was a fair attendance from forum members.
In addition to the three speakers Iain Logie Baird, Donald McLean and John Trenouth who gave us very interesting and entertaining talks, we were able to see "Television Comes to London" and a number of other filmed pieces from the early history. Here John Trenouth introduces some of them. His backdrop was the equipment store that was also available for us to view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z1iLiTuV1M

Simon Vaughan, whilst not scheduled to speak, also brought with him some fascinating documentation showing that Bairds had actually used the Farnsworth camera, if only fleetingly, for part of their broadcasts.

Peter

Last edited by peter_scott; 29th Oct 2011 at 5:38 pm.
Old 29th Oct 2011, 8:46 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks very much for for that prompt and helpfull response Peter and the handy link! It is much appreciated. I'm a few hundred yards away from the spot where JLB died in 1946, opposite Bexhill Station, as I write. Although the original building [Baird Court] was demolished very recently it was possible to get the developers to name one of the replacement blocks of flats and put the Blue Plaque in situ. This may not have been the forgone conclusion you might imagine otherwise, as the whole episode attracted little local or media interest. Thanks again.
Dave W
Old 30th Oct 2011, 10:11 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I knew about the Bradford do as it's only six miles away, but couldn't make it because of other commitments.
I do know that pppenguin, BrianC and Dave Moll were there, at least.
Old 30th Oct 2011, 4:04 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I wonder if anyone on the Forum knew about this...
It was discussed here.
Old 30th Oct 2011, 7:44 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Thanks Dave. That would have been at the start of one of my sojourns in the Ramsbottom "store" you know so well and a period of "cold turkey" withdrawl from the internet [apart from trips to the Library] so I missed that notification . Further to the comment on the thread about accessing the NMM on line, I was looking at their site yesterday with a view to enquiring about transcripts etc but it didn't seem very helpfull unless you were in the tourist trade or just wanted basic details. Not a patch on the new BVWS site!

Dave
Closed Thread