UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2021, 5:30 pm   #1
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Default Berry Magicoal electric fire

A friend of mine has an old Berry Magicoal electric fire in his workshop. It has three heating bars and two switches that control them. One of the switches has failed, I have advised him of a suitable Arcolectric replacement and he has two on order. There is a bridging link between the switches (see photo), the question is how to remove it without damaging the claws. I think any attempt to prise it off will result in damage and it may be necessary to remove the switches from the panel, smash the bodies and saw through the switch terminals below the joiner and push it off downwards. Has anyone got a better idea or can a replacement joiner be sourced?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switches.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	225544  
Old 29th Jan 2021, 6:03 pm   #2
newlite4
Octode

Default Re: Berry Magicoal electric fire

I would be inclined to either simply replace the joiner by soldering a wire link between the two terminals or make up a short wire link with a Lucar connector on each end. It may just be possible to hook the joining bar off each terminal bit by bit using a dental pick or similar instrument.
Neil
Old 29th Jan 2021, 6:08 pm   #3
dglcomp
Heptode

These are available for making easy wire links, https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/spade...ctors/0534367/ Should be fine for the current involved as they are fine in our carpet cleaner at work and that has two ~1kW motors
Old 29th Jan 2021, 6:19 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

If you want a made up link with a couple of those RS piggy back crimp connectors to try for the cost of postage (large letter) PM me!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Jan 2021, 8:18 pm   #5
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglcomp View Post
These are available for making easy wire links, https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/spade...ctors/0534367/ Should be fine for the current involved as they are fine in our carpet cleaner at work and that has two ~1kW motors
Thanks, I like this idea - I will suggest it to my friend
Old 31st Jan 2021, 10:20 am   #6
llama
Octode

I read a tip years ago on how to remove barb type fixings. It involves some nylon (fishing?) thread which you thread in and out so it's below each of the barbs. You'd need 4 loops to remove that link. Then pull upwards evenly so the nylon tends to unhook the sharp bit from the spade terminal.
Graham