UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2021, 10:12 am   #1
camallison
Heptode

Default Amateur radio callsign

My late uncle's callsign was G3MYK which he obtained in the mid--50s after leaving the Royal Navy where he served as a telegraphist. I have a copy of his licence details. He was active until 1968, working initially in Teesside and later in London. Then he moved to work in Canada. Could he use that licence and callsign while living in Canada? What mechanism is there to do so, or would he need a Canadian licence and callsign?

There is then evidence that he returned to the UK for a few years around 1984, before finally settling back in Canada. The G3MYK callsign was in use during the mid to late 80s.

My further question is, when he passed away in 2003, would the callsign have been recycled for further use, or never reissued?

Colin

Last edited by camallison; 28th Jan 2021 at 10:13 am. Reason: Spelling
Old 28th Jan 2021, 10:23 am   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Amateur radio callsign

You might be able to have it if you contact the very helpful Ofcom,they are good.

Your uncle would not have been able to use that call sign in Canada.UK only.
Old 28th Jan 2021, 10:29 am   #3
kellys_eye
Octode

You can operate in foreign countries with their permission and abiding by their rules for callsign 'modification' - a prefix or some such (some may require to issues a new callsign for the period). Countries that are members of CEPT offer this facility and I understand Canada toNOT be one of them (correction from original post).

Callsigns are not re-issued but can be re-validated after many years of non-use if you have the relevant identification and qualification. I re-instated mine after it having lasped for nearly 30 years (!) as I was working in the telecoms industry (marine) all that time and kept the 'knowledge' along with having the MRGC ticket.

The CEPT requirements/permissions can be found here https://www.ecodocdb.dk/download/2ae...58a/TR6101.pdf

I also doubt whether these rules were in force during the time of your uncle's travels......

Last edited by kellys_eye; 28th Jan 2021 at 10:38 am. Reason: new information discovered
Old 28th Jan 2021, 11:58 am   #4
Wendymott
Octode

Amateur radio call signs can be "gifted" to other licenced operators, my friend G3CQQ was gifted that call sign after the passing of its holder...... he has now passed...but I dont know if it is being re issued by request. My call sign.. G8BZY has been with me since the late 60's and will not be re issued.. once I dont need it.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 28th Jan 2021, 1:31 pm   #5
camallison
Heptode

Thank you all for your replies. I am only now receiving some of his papers (or copies) from his stepson in Canada. He said that his stepdad was active and had full kit set up with aerials strung in the garden. Unfortunately, the papers don't refer to his licence there or what rig he had.

Colin
Old 28th Jan 2021, 3:48 pm   #6
Dave757
Heptode

Hi Colin,

Certainly worth trying Ofcom, as he was a relative, assuming that you
have a Full Amateur Radio license, and that it has not been reissued
to anyone else

Kind regards
Dave
Old 28th Jan 2021, 6:01 pm   #7
Junk Box Nick
Octode

He would have had a VE call or VO if in Newfoundland. The provinces were/are indicated by the number following: VE2 is Quebec and VE3 Ontario, etc.

A pal of mine with an early G4+3 call who has lived all over the world has had a DL callsign in Germany, ZL in New Zealand, VK in Australia and now, living in the US has a W call.

When I was an a very active SW listener in the 1970s the only station I heard regularly using his original call out of territory was a US operator at the Keflavik air base in Iceland who was always WA6***/TF
Old 28th Jan 2021, 6:42 pm   #8
dsergeant
Octode

He could apply for a reciprocal licence in Canada and either use VE3/G3MYK or similar or a separate VE call issued on the basis of his UK licence. I operated short time as VE3/G3YMC when I was on holiday there. The CEPT licence is relatively recently and wasn't an option when your uncle was there.

Dave
Old 28th Jan 2021, 6:52 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

From memory, it depended on how long you were in the other-country: in some cases you could get what amounted to a "visitor's operating permit" that allowed you to use your UK callsign prefixed by the default-prefix for the country you were operating from, but that was only permitted for a short period (28 days?).

If you were there for longer/became resident you had to get issued with a 'permanent' callsign from your new country's allocation.

There was some confusion and uncertainly in regard of UK "B"-licence-holders getting US licenses - because in times-past all classes of US license required morse-code and UK B-licences didn't.
Old 28th Jan 2021, 7:36 pm   #10
camallison
Heptode

Further information ....... he lived in Ottawa and was a canadian government employee responsible for an element of radio communications. So he continued to work in his chosen field. Today, by email, I have been told that he was issued with a canadian licence and callsign for amateur use immediately on taking up his government post.

So, that answers my question re operating in Canada. I am looking into taking over G3MYK if I am allowed. My most recent spell on the airwaves was in 1982, before I moved to Germany to work. I didn't operate there, or since returning to the UK. Prior to 1982, I was operating 'on behalf of Her Majesty's government' and didn't have a personal rig or amateur licence. My work involved installation and set up of radio gear, coupled with operating it.

Colin

Last edited by camallison; 28th Jan 2021 at 7:38 pm. Reason: Clarification.
Old 28th Jan 2021, 8:57 pm   #11
Junk Box Nick
Octode

It would have been a VE2 or VE3 call, depending on which side of the border he lived!
Old 28th Jan 2021, 9:31 pm   #12
camallison
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
It would have been a VE2 or VE3 call, depending on which side of the border he lived!
VE2 then since his estate was administered by Quebec authorities as he died intestate.

Colij
Old 28th Jan 2021, 10:59 pm   #13
Peter F4VSA
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendymott View Post
Amateur radio call signs can be "gifted" to other licenced operators, my friend G3CQQ was gifted that call sign after the passing of its holder...... he has now passed...but I dont know if it is being re issued by request. My call sign.. G8BZY has been with me since the late 60's and will not be re issued.. once I dont need it.
Hi Wendy, I must have got my license the week before you! Was it in the 60's? I must be getting old...

Peter G8BZR/F4VSA
Old 29th Jan 2021, 5:01 pm   #14
Wendymott
Octode

HI Peter......... Yes I agree.... I still think us "oldies" have a contribution

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 29th Jan 2021, 11:17 pm   #15
Peter F4VSA
Tetrode

Hi Wendy, yes I agree. The day job was in the design of high bit rate fibre optic system,now it's getting an old Geloso G222 AM transmitter back on air! I thinkI now prefer to see the glow of valves!

Peter G8BZR/F4VSA
Closed Thread