UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 2nd Feb 2024, 11:07 am   #1
agardiner
Octode

Default Vintage modifications/conversions/upcycling

Mods - apologies if this thread is not appropriate, delete if necessary.

So, we have all seen that vintage radio which has been converted into a lamp on daytime TV.

Just wondered therefore what projects anyone may have done in modifying or converting a piece of vintage equipment, or indeed upcycling it into something else. Anything goes except Bluetooth mods as these are very common. Add a photo where appropriate.

Please don't discuss or criticise whether equipment should be kept original and modifying it is sacrilege. We don't want this thread being banned. It is up to the individual what they do with their own equipment.

My own little upcycling is my workshop clock which I have made from an old TR82 radio dial.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5988.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	292048  
agardiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 11:19 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Vintage modifications/conversions/upcycling

A semi-dismantled computer hard drive makes a striking ornament, though it doesn't actually do anything. Non-techie relatives often appreciate them as gifts.
paulsherwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 11:53 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Non-techie relatives often appreciate them as gifts.
I can just imagine the look on my mother-in-law's face if I tried that
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 12:10 pm   #4
broadgage
Nonode

I have seen a coffee table made from a physically intact but non functioning PV module. Quite attractive IMHO.
Also a two tier cat bed made from a hardwood stand intended for a CRT TV. The tv was replaced by a wall mounted flat screen type, but it seemed a waste to dump the nice stand. One cat sleeps on the magazine rack that was below the TV and the second cat on top where the tv was intended to be placed.
Pegboard and a blanket makes each tier comfortable for the cat.
broadgage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 12:26 pm   #5
EmleyTim
Tetrode

You’re spot on with “ It is up to the individual what they do with their own equipment” in my view, Adrian.
I acquired an unloved Fidelity HF36 and restored the cabinet.
I then fitted a pair of Tannoy Mercury M1s in the speaker compartments (the whole speakers slotted straight in) a Cambridge Audio A1 amp with phono board in the cabinet wired with remote pots in the same position as the originals (bracket manufactured that bolts to original fixing points). Retained the original Garrard 2000 deck but fitted a magnetic cartridge and adjusted the tracking to suit.
Appearance wise, it looks totally standard but the sound quality is excellent for what it is, far exceeding the original. It takes pride of place in a friend’s lounge and is in daily use.
The Tannoy speakers and (repaired) CA amp were all very challenged cosmetically so I had no qualms in repurposing them. I’ve retained all the original HF36 parts so I could return it to standard with only a few fixing holes underneath to show that it was ever altered, so no guilt there either.
The most difficult parts were two fold - finding a new set of knobs to match the originals (two of which were broken) and finding a suitable volume pot with mains switch and a 1/4” shaft.
This was all prior to joining this forum - finding parts could well have been easier with a reach out to forum members.
I’ll get a picture of it as it is now. Attached picture is as acquired.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5164.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	292054  
EmleyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 12:30 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

I've now acquired something I've always wanted: One of the HP cavity wavemeter/frequency meters.

It's a gorgeous ornament unmodded.

It could be pressed into service as a microwave preselector for my spectrum analysers and it would meet the licence requirements for a means of checking harmonics on VHF/UHF transmitters.

No upcycling needed.

David
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 12:46 pm   #7
Gabe001
Octode

I've seen PCBs inside epoxy resin moulds for tabletops and they look pretty good for a man-cave and such.

Some clever people are repurposing old oscilloscope CRTs into clocks which look quite nice. http://www.sgitheach.org.uk/scope2.html
I don't know if anyone here has attempted anything similar, but it would make for a nice project.
Gabe001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 12:49 pm   #8
Techman
Dekatron

I have a couple of CV1279/NT36/DA100 valves as display items on a shelf in the living room, as they stand up quite nicely on their big square 'L4' four pin bases.
Techman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 1:41 pm   #9
agardiner
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe001 View Post
I've seen PCBs inside epoxy resin moulds for tabletops and they look pretty good for a man-cave and such.

Some clever people are repurposing old oscilloscope CRTs into clocks which look quite nice. http://www.sgitheach.org.uk/scope2.html
I don't know if anyone here has attempted anything similar, but it would make for a nice project.
A scope clock is on my bucket list.
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 1:53 pm   #10
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmleyTim View Post
You’re spot on with “ It is up to the individual what they do with their own equipment” in my view, Adrian.
I acquired an unloved Fidelity HF36 and restored the cabinet.
I then fitted a pair of Tannoy Mercury M1s in the speaker compartments (the whole speakers slotted straight in) a Cambridge Audio A1 amp with phono board in the cabinet wired with remote pots in the same position as the originals (bracket manufactured that bolts to original fixing points). Retained the original Garrard 2000 deck but fitted a magnetic cartridge and adjusted the tracking to suit.
Appearance wise, it looks totally standard but the sound quality is excellent for what it is, far exceeding the original. It takes pride of place in a friend’s lounge and is in daily use.
The Tannoy speakers and (repaired) CA amp were all very challenged cosmetically so I had no qualms in repurposing them. I’ve retained all the original HF36 parts so I could return it to standard with only a few fixing holes underneath to show that it was ever altered, so no guilt there either.
The most difficult parts were two fold - finding a new set of knobs to match the originals (two of which were broken) and finding a suitable volume pot with mains switch and a 1/4” shaft.
This was all prior to joining this forum - finding parts could well have been easier with a reach out to forum members.
I’ll get a picture of it as it is now. Attached picture is as acquired.
I like that. I've always fancied the idea of making an "audiophile" radiogram!
Beobloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 1:55 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I've always fancied that too, but don't forget that (1) decent turntable are usually much bigger than autochangers, particularly in the arm counterweight department, and (2) acoustic feedback will almost certainly be a problem unless you're very lucky/clever.
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 2:50 pm   #12
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've got a Roberts RM40 receiver here, aluminium front, black leathercloth top, but dark brown wooden end-cheeks.

Most of the time it gets used as an 'amplified extension speaker' with a phone plugged into the 5-pin DIN socket on the back to stream stuff through.

I'm pondering the idea of either replacing the wooden end-cheeks with some quarter-inch engine-turned aluminium plates [a friend has the ability to do the necessary metalwork] or just painting/lacquering them gloss-black.

"Heresy!" I hear someone cry.

Fact is, I don't like brown wood.
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 4:07 pm   #13
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I've always fancied that too, but don't forget that (1) decent turntable are usually much bigger than autochangers, particularly in the arm counterweight department, and (2) acoustic feedback will almost certainly be a problem unless you're very lucky/clever.
Fair point - a suspended sub-chassis turntable would do fine, if you could find one to fit. TD150 is probably the smallest, and an SME Improved has a compact counterweight assembly, but even then it's going to be a tight fit. Or try a Linn and watch the flat-earthers go into orbit - which is an interesting juxtaposition of ideas, come to think of it...
Ted Kendall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 6:29 pm   #14
factory
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by agardiner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe001 View Post

A scope clock is on my bucket list.
I'm sure I've seen boards that can be used with a complete oscilloscope (using the XYZ inputs) to do the same thing, plus you still get to use it for it's intended purpose when you get bored of novelty clocks, or oscilloscope music.
Also better to use one of the many surplus Soviet CRTs, than depleting the few NOS CRTs that are left, we need to do all we can to encourage people to restore our historic/vintage test gear.

David
factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2024, 10:01 pm   #15
EmleyTim
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Fair points, Nick. I wouldn’t claim that my concoction was audiophile but it certainly sounds excellent to the ageing ears of both my friend and I. Volume levels have not caused any feedback issues but i can see that they could in larger spaces that demanded more oomph. I really like the fact that it looks standard but is far more capable. I’m definitely in the lucky rather than clever category
You’ve got me thinking about another stereogram project now involving an unloved Ferguson….
EmleyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2024, 12:28 am   #16
The Philpott
Dekatron

If the thread survives the night i'll attach pics of two (already) damaged Universal Avominor cases- One converted to a 3mm wanderplug multiplexer, and the other to a 2 range voltage reference with onboard battery. Not spectacular or difficult, just use of what were effectively quite solid project boxes.

The 'switch' for the voltage reference is a lead with wander plugs on either end, and the lid on the box can't be closed with it plugged in. Sort of an unintentional 'auto power off'.

Dave
The Philpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2024, 1:39 pm   #17
stevehertz
Dekatron

This subject has been discussed before and as I've said, my view is that I'd rather see an 'Avo with a lamp stuck on it' (not in my house!) than said Avo being thrown into a skip. I think what a lot of people don't realise is just how much 'precious, vintage items' DO get chucked into skips. Much better that they are repurposed and enjoyed and in some small way create an interest in the object, which can't be a bad thing. Of course I don't want to see the rarer, more collectable stuff upscaled, but then that is less likely to happen for a variety of reasons.
Old 3rd Feb 2024, 2:29 pm   #18
agardiner
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
This subject has been discussed before and as I've said, my view is that I'd rather see an 'Avo with a lamp stuck on it' (not in my house!) than said Avo being thrown into a skip. I think what a lot of people don't realise is just how much 'precious, vintage items' DO get chucked into skips. Much better that they are repurposed and enjoyed and in some small way create an interest in the object, which can't be a bad thing. Of course I don't want to see the rarer, more collectable stuff upscaled, but then that is less likely to happen for a variety of reasons.
Couldn't agree more. Much better to use something for a new purpose than chuck it. Also, even a 'lamp' conversion retains a little bit of the history of the object. Perfectly preserved original's will hopefully at least be in a museum somewhere.
Old 3rd Feb 2024, 5:37 pm   #19
ex seismic
Heptode

A few years ago you could buy notebooks and clipboards made from re/up cycled circuit boards which were either new and unused or had the components removed.
ex seismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2024, 6:02 pm   #20
livewireless123
Tetrode

I found a 2 V valve with no vacuum so fitted a 5mm colour changing LED up through a hole in its base with the wires to two of the pins.
then I wired the bakelite valve holder to a 2x AA battery pack.
it's now sat on my printer going through its colour changing display.
when I get round tuit I may mount the holder on a plastic project box
to tidy it up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	led valve 001.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	292168   Click image for larger version

Name:	led valve 002.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	292169   Click image for larger version