UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2019, 9:09 pm   #1
Strange Brew
Tetrode

Default Freeview box with RF output

Hi all

Does anyone know of a freeview box which has an RF output?

I have one of these: TVONICS MDR-252

But I can't get a picture out of it through the loop.

My TV is an old manual tuning type.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 25th Mar 2019, 9:33 pm   #2
music-centre
Heptode

Default Re: Freeview box with RF output

Best I have found is the Goodmans GDR11 - not a current model I don't suppose but there are plenty around.
Steve.
Old 25th Mar 2019, 9:43 pm   #3
1955APREN
Hexode

an easy way to overcome this problem is to use a old vcr Connect the free view video output with a scart lead to the scart video input . Then connect a coax rf from the rf output on the vcr to the aerial socket on your tv. Then tune tv to this output. Most older videos video output will be on ch 35-38 , but newer one can be any where in the uhf band. (ch 21-68) if you get a snowy pic adjust the rf channel out of the vcr.
Kind regards
Derrick
Old 26th Mar 2019, 12:03 am   #4
hamid_1
Heptode

Yes you can use an old VCR as a modulator, or you can buy a standalone modulator which takes up less space, but it still means having two boxes.

Some older Freeview boxes had built-in modulators. Some examples:

Goodmans GDR10 , GDR11 Digital TV Receiver

Humax F2-Fox-T , PVR9200T

Icecrypt T5000 , T2300HD *

Thomson DTi2300 * , DTi6300 Top Up TV

* modulator may be disabled by default

TVOnics MFR-200 , MFR-300

and various others ... you can find these secondhand in charity shops, car boot sales and of course, ebay. Make sure you get the original remote control with a used box, otherwise it's practically useless (except the Goodmans GDR10/11 boxes).

Many Sky digiboxes had modulators, though you will need a satellite dish (but no subscription) to use one.

Due to their age, most of the above boxes will be suffering from failing capacitors in the power supply. Typically on opening it up you'll find a 1000uF electrolytic with a bulging, dome-shaped top. Very easy to fix. Replace the capacitor and the box will work again. If one of the above boxes is sold as faulty or untested, this is usually all that's wrong with it. But obviously don't gamble a lot of money on an old box.
Old 26th Mar 2019, 12:45 am   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

The Ferguson FS01SDB has a modulator, but only the earlier model (with a rectangular remote and a "D" connector on the back panel) is tuneable over the UHF band. The modulator of the later version (with a dogbone remote and no "D" connector) has a fixed output frequency which is used by a digital multiplex in my area, making it useless.
Old 26th Mar 2019, 1:01 am   #6
camtechman
Nonode

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how to do that.
Old 26th Mar 2019, 9:52 am   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

I would recommend both the Humax F2-Fox-T & PVR9200T , the latter has a hard drive for recording programmes. I have managed to get several of these at car boot sales and charity shops for very little money.

Mark
Old 26th Mar 2019, 4:10 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

The first STB we had, suffered from bulging PSU capacitor failure, taking out its printed circuit-mounted fuse. As noted, easily fixed. Assuming overheating was a factor, I have mounted the three STB boxes we regularly use, on end on the sides of their TVs, using self-adhesive Velcro. My assumption is that this arrangement, with the PC board mounted vertically, provides better convection cooling than a horizontally-arranged board. No other failures so far (touch wood!).
Closed Thread