UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Mar 2012, 2:55 pm   #61
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips CP90 Chassis Service Info

If it's the HR7503 you're after, Dalbani's (in Surrey!) allegedly have them in stock for £16.99:

http://www.dalbani.co.uk/catalogue/p...s.php?id=15624
Old 19th Mar 2012, 10:57 pm   #62
Ricardo
Pentode

Thanks everyone for all the latest information.

'Red to Black', I will check out the capacitors that you have mentioned and replace if needed. I appreciated the explanations regarding their function in the circuit.

With regards to the line output transformer I couldn't find any label on it, but according to the Service Manual the Philips part number is 4822 140 10306.

It seems from all the other helpful posts that a direct replacement is the HR-7503. Thanks to Ben and also to Nick for the details of some potential stockists.

Should I be looking for other faults, either that might have caused the LOPT to fail or as a consequence of it?

Richard
Old 20th Mar 2012, 12:34 am   #63
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

These transformers do go faulty, especially if the original one.

You could check the small blue disc caps on the line output stage, the line output transistor and for any poor joints on the scancoil connector. Usually you will not find anything nasty in these sets and are they are straightforward to repair.
Old 20th Mar 2012, 11:51 am   #64
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips Fan View Post
Also:
Chaps, I could stick a new section up for these! Would either of you chaps be interested in helping document these Philips CP sets
Here's one more ad to start the ball rolling. A CP110, referred to here as K-110.
Sadly can't recall the exact date of the mag I got it out of, but I'd say 1990. Will email you the hi-res scan in two parts.

Blurb translation:
It's him. The perfect creation. With his whole future ahead of him.
It's the new Philips K-100 television. With square screen, so as not to miss any detail. And extra-flat. To bring you reality, unadulterated, without distortion.
It's phlips' FSQ Vision technology. Also, the new Philips K100 has computer-controlled teletext, and scart socket.
Because our world has fewer and fewer frontiers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philips cp110 promo stitched sm.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	64154  
Old 20th Mar 2012, 3:24 pm   #65
Maarten
Dekatron

That's very interesting indeed. From the size and proportions, the set looks like a CP90 though. I'd say it would have been published earlier, probably 1987-ish when the chassis was brand new.

If the CP90/110 series were somehow referred to as K-100, I wonder whether the 2A/2B/3A series had a K-reference as well. System 5 or K50, if I had to make up a designation.

Or it could have been something made up entirely by a marketing department, of course.

Starting to wonder now... Was the CP90/110 chassis ever manufactured in Spain? They designed their own chassis sometimes as well, CTZ comes to mind. If you ever find one, keep it. Maybe it could be worthwhile to find out whatever happened to the Tecnimagen (former Philips TV factory) company archives after they went out of business.

My apologies to Ricardo for drifting off-topic. Advise: I'd start out by replacing the transformer and then see what happens. While you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to check for bad soldering in the power supply and line output stages.

Last edited by Maarten; 20th Mar 2012 at 3:34 pm.
Old 20th Mar 2012, 3:53 pm   #66
ben
Dekatron

I know that Telefunken and Sanyo had plants in Spain during the 70s and 80s, Sharp/Elbe also. Philips as we know had a plant in Barcelona that briefly became Tecnimagen with the workers' buyout. No idea if it produced the cp110, I'd say it did.

Incidentally, the set in the pic /ad in post 65 looks identical to the 24ce3270.
Old 20th Mar 2012, 4:50 pm   #67
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Maarten,

Not sure about Spain (I cannot remember), but ISTR some CP90's with a made in Italy label on them, But my memory of this is a little hazy, as this sort of information was not required to just repair the things.
Old 20th Mar 2012, 11:19 pm   #68
Maarten
Dekatron

The Monza, Italy factory did indeed produce CP90's, I've seen the model number labels myself as well (serial number starting with PM).
Old 21st Mar 2012, 1:03 am   #69
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

i know the small portable version was made in Italy
Old 21st Mar 2012, 2:53 pm   #70
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Just to confirm - a hole in the side of the LOPT does mean it needs replacement. They often went with a big bang and lots of smoke - great fun if you had your head in the set at the time as the shorted turn would cook inside till the casing gave way - sometimes well after it had been switched off!
Regarding the micro, I think the -87 suffix was non-text, -88 was standard text and -89 was fastext.
I saw quite a few of the 17" versions and there were some smaller as well. though not flatscreen. Very few 17" sets were sold because they cost the same as the 21", though whenever we got one in second hand they flew off the shelf!
Glyn
Old 24th Mar 2012, 11:47 am   #71
Ricardo
Pentode

Glyn,

Thanks for the confirmation about the LOPT.

Obtaining a replacement has not been entirely straightforward. I placed an order with Dalbani's which was initially accepted, but they e-mailed the following day to say that they could not fulfill the order after all.
I now have one on order with another UK supplier, but they are waiting on stock ariving from Germany.

Robert, Philips Fan, I have just sent some photos to you via the e-mail address on your website. Please can you confirm receipt of these pictures?

Best regards,

Richard
Old 24th Mar 2012, 1:31 pm   #72
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Richard,

I hope you get sorted for a lopt.

I would have checked the line transistor (7619) too, as sometimes this can go S/C when the transformer fails in this way, this is shown on the diagrams as a BUT11AF, but on some later models this was changed to a BUT12AF, so if this is the case, you need to replace like for like..

Just to add to this thread, as these sets aged, I had quite a few where the Lopt failed in a different non-destructive way, the A1 voltage disappeared (no pic), either permanently, or sometimes after the set had been on a while, a bit strange when I had this fault for the first time, as I was expecting the usual dry joints.
Old 26th Mar 2012, 7:45 pm   #73
Ricardo
Pentode

Red to black,

The line transistor in my set is a BUT11AF. It seems OK, at least according to my multimeter's transistor test function, with an HFE of 10.

Nonetheless I thought I'd obtain a replacement in case it is needed.

The supplier of the LOPT has BUT12AF transistors in stock at a good price, but no BUT11AF transistors. Would it be possible to use a BUT12AF transistor in my set and if so would I need to make other component changes to accomodate?

Richard
Old 26th Mar 2012, 8:04 pm   #74
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Richard,

It is probably ok then, as it would usually have read a direct Short Circuit C-E if it had failed due to the lopt.

Iam not sure what else, if anything, was changed on the later set's, as none of my drawings show anything other than a BUT 11AF fitted.

I hope this helps.
Old 26th Mar 2012, 11:18 pm   #75
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

i think the BUT12AF was used in the 2B chassis
mainly if the Lopt is faulty that will usualy be that and the transistor is probably ok if you want to make a reliable repair check for dry joints around the line stage and the small blue disc caps
Old 26th Mar 2012, 11:40 pm   #76
stainless
Tetrode

I am watching this thread avidly, as I have a CP90 that has died (scan rapidly collapsed to a small vertical "patch" and then went out). I'm scared of it going bang when I try to mend the SMPS.....
Old 27th Mar 2012, 9:06 am   #77
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Stainless.

Perhaps your transformer has gone as well?

Check the 3.15A fuse to see if it's OK, if not the fault is probably in the power supply.

Check that the 95V line is not short circuit to chassis. If so disconnect the BUT11AF line transistor. If still short could be transformer or small blue disc caps.
Old 29th Mar 2012, 10:53 pm   #78
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainless View Post
(scan rapidly collapsed to a small vertical "patch" and then went out).
sounds like you've lost horiozontal deflection. Far more common the other way round, i.e. you get a thin horizontal line.

First things to check are joints on the scan coils, the connector on the pcb, then trace to the line output area. These sets are knocking on a bit, and you get lots of cracked soldering in them.
Old 29th Mar 2012, 11:01 pm   #79
ben
Dekatron

For reference, here's the 17ce1231 and a close up of the panel of the 21ce1251 (only evident difference is the more metallic look of the RCA's)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3394.JPG
Views:	779
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	64518   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3371.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	64519   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3370.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	64520  
Old 8th Apr 2012, 6:05 pm   #80
Ricardo
Pentode

The saga continues....

I have fitted the new LOPT and continued fault finding the power supply.

I have a lamp load connected across C2696 and most of the time the +95V rail seems to be regulating OK, but occasionally it still seems to go alarmingly high. C2700 has been replaced and the zener diodes D6697, D6698 and D6699 are OK.
Anyway while the +95V rail is OK the 22V output measures 19.3V, but there is no output at all on the 6V rail.
The dc voltages at test points E and F are OK, but the readings at points G and H seem a litte strange.

Anyway to cut a long story short I have just identified that D6733 which according to the service manual is a BAV19 diode is open circuit. The diode fitted to my set was actually a BYD33D and not a BAV19 type.

I don't have either of these diode types in my small stock of components and the BYD33D datasheet describes it as a fast soft-recovery controlled avalanche rectifier.

Are there any suitable equivalents or should I be looking to obtain a BAV19 or a BYD33D? Which of these types is preferred or doesn't it matter?

Best regards,

Richard
Closed Thread