UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Mar 2012, 9:26 pm   #21
Ricardo
Pentode

Default Re: Philips CP90 Chassis Service Info

Thanks to Andy 'Restorer79' I now have a scanned copy of the Service Manual for the CP90 Chassis in English.

However in comparision to the Dutch version that I had obtained previously it is missing a few pages. The omissions include Pages 2 and 3 containing warnings, mechanical and electrical instructions as well as the various fault finding diagrams.

If anyone happens to have an original copy of the manual in english and can scan the missing pages for me I would be grateful.

As for the fault, the set is currently dead, but the main input fuse is still intact. I had owned the set from new and it has been very reliable over the years. I seem to recall having to replace something related to de-gaussing in the first few years, but since then it has been faultless until now.

Robert 'Philips Fan', as and when I start my fault finding I can take some photos if they would be of any use to you?

Best regards,

Richard
Old 17th Mar 2012, 10:28 pm   #22
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I always liked the CP90 and CP110 chassis, they were generally very reliable, and easy and economical to repair.
As has been said, the LOPT in the CP90 can fail from time to time but the CP110 LOPT is ultra reliable.

One of our regularly used Philips sets has the CP110 chassis and that has been excellent from new (early 1989).
The only problems have been two memory back-up batteries, a degaussing positor, the microcontroller ic and most recently an o/c mains HT smoothing capacitor causing the dead set symptom.
There was also intermittent teletext operation due to a dry joint on the Fast text panel. Strangely enough, this panel used SMD components though I'm sure earlier text panels used through-hole components.

I still like to use the CP110 with its 4:3 aspect ratio display rather than 16:9 widescreen format as on more up-to-date TVs.

Re the CP90, there was also an FST 15" portable, I also owned one of these when in the caravan business. That was highly reliable and only taken out of service due to the crt losing emission.

I think the time line for the CP90/CP110 would be 1987 to 1989.

I agree that the later G90/G110 weren't so good for working on due to the surface mounted components.

Regards
Symon.
Old 17th Mar 2012, 10:55 pm   #23
Restorer79
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Richard: Sorry about that, I just downloaded a copy of the CP90 service manual on-line & when I checked pages 2 & 3 are missing from that 1 as well.

Andy

Hi Richard,

Sorry about that. I just downloaded a copy of the CP90 service manual online and when I checked pages 2 & 3 are missing from that one as well.

Andy
Old 17th Mar 2012, 11:38 pm   #24
jimmc101
Heptode

Missing pages from CP90 manual attached.

I too have a soft spot for the CP110 chassis, mine has finally been replaced after 21years service. (Similar faults to Symon's except for the microcontroller which survived.)

Jim
Attached Files
File Type: pdf p2.pdf (57.1 KB, 142 views)
File Type: pdf p3.pdf (62.6 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by jimmc101; 17th Mar 2012 at 11:42 pm. Reason: Last line added
Old 17th Mar 2012, 11:38 pm   #25
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

The 15" FST Philips was a newer version of the CTX.
The only CP 90 15" I have seen was a B&O version with a different microprocessor and the on/off switch also had channel search for tuning.
Old 18th Mar 2012, 1:50 am   #26
enquirium
Triode

Hi

I've had a few of these sets giving the dead set symptoms due to the line output transistors going faulty base to emitter . As there's a built in resistor across the junction , substitution is the only reliable test .

After replacement no obvious other reasons for failure were found so maybe something in the initial soldering was the cause , resulting in failure years down the line . Keeping that in mind , I took great care when fitting the replacements . As far as I am aware the repaired sets ran faultlessly for many years afterwards .

Yours ..

Old 18th Mar 2012, 3:45 am   #27
Maarten
Dekatron

Regarding the CP90/CP110 timeline mentioned earlier: I'm quite sure the CP110 was manufactured well into 1990, possibly because there wasn't a mono version of the G110 chassis (can anyone confirm this?). The CP90 may have been discontinued in 1989 in favor of the G90AE and G90B chassis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec2110 View Post
The 15" FST Philips was a newer version of the CTX.
The only CP 90 15" I have seen was a B&O version with a different microprocessor and the on/off switch also had channel search for tuning.
I'm quite sure I've seen both 15" and 17" versions of the CP90. Model numbers for the complete model lineup (versions with remote and teletext) would be 14CE1500, 15CE1510, 17CE1530, 21CE1550. Presumably 16" and 20" non-FST versions were never made, but space was reserved in the numbering scheme.

Regarding the fastext decoder: It would have been the same decoder as used in the G90B/G110 chassis. I seem to remember it didn't work with older mask versions of the CP90/CP110 processor (something ending in -87?).

Last edited by Maarten; 18th Mar 2012 at 3:56 am.
Old 18th Mar 2012, 4:28 pm   #28
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Maarten,

I too noticed in my Philips model survey that there was indeed a CP90 SMD chassis, model 21CE1250, but I have never seen one.

The CP90 appears to have been introduced around 1987, and there is a model 11CE1211 = CP90 (?), and there appears to have been 14, 15, 17 and 19 inch models as well as the more usual 21 inch (in the UK) models.

This chassis was still being released around 1988, but the lists do not say how long the production run lasted. the G90 was also released around 1988, and there are listings for a 17 inch models 174932IR, 174352IR, 174332IR = G90A, and also the G90B 174932IR and 174962IR.

It is possible that the production runs overlapped.

The CP110, as you say, ran from 1987 to a little later, circa 1990, the G110 the earliest listed I can find is 1988, so these two chassis definitely overlapped, probably for the reasons you gave.
The CP110 is also listed under 24 and 25 inch model numbers.

You are also correct with respect to the Text panels, the later (Full Level One Features or FLOF (or fastext) panels are the same as the G90/G110 boards.
And there are two different microprcessors fitted to the two types, both TMP types.
I only have the info. to hand for the CP110, both types TMP 47C432, mask numbers are: basic text = 8188, FLOF = 8189.

I will also have the info. (but not immediately to hand) for the CP90.
Old 18th Mar 2012, 5:09 pm   #29
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Yes please Ricardo
Thanks
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
Thanks to Andy 'Restorer79' I now have a scanned copy of the Service Manual for the CP90 Chassis in English.

Robert 'Philips Fan', as and when I start my fault finding I can take some photos if they would be of any use to you?

Richard
Old 18th Mar 2012, 5:20 pm   #30
Restorer79
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmc101 View Post
Missing pages from CP90 manual attached.

I too have a soft spot for the CP110 chassis, mine has finally been replaced after 21years service. (Similar faults to Symon's except for the microcontroller which survived.)

Jim
Thanks Jim: Much appreciated.

Andy
Old 18th Mar 2012, 5:24 pm   #31
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

To All Phillips fans,i have one or two new Original repair kits (PSU).Will search out and offer in Parts Offered section.

Daid
Old 18th Mar 2012, 5:42 pm   #32
ben
Dekatron

If it is any help, I have these Cp90s stashed in the workshop:

21ce1550
21ce1051 - non-remote version I mentioned before
21ce1251/16B - This was the early grey boxy one, very common here. Remote, no text. Uses HR7503 LOPTX)
21ce1558 - more modern version, the PSU seems to have lots more to it.

and a few smaller screen jobs:

17ce1231/16R
15ce1210 -probably quite late, more compact/ less 'boxy' look.

There may be more. One of these days I will remember to take my camera up there and document 'em! Until I read this thread and began going through my files, I had no idea I had that many. Think I still have a 24ce3270 Cp110 as well.
Old 18th Mar 2012, 5:56 pm   #33
Maarten
Dekatron

@Red to Black: The Model Number Survey is one of my favourite sources for information as well, but I found the years to be somewhat unreliable. The external difference between the 21CE1250 with CP90 versus CP90-SMD is probably the stroke number, which for practical reasons isn't mentioned in the survey.
Old 18th Mar 2012, 6:05 pm   #34
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Maarten,

I could not remember if I gave you the model listings or not, I think I posted these on the forum a while back.

You are correct, the listings do not give the stroke number, and often the same model number falls under two different chassis types (possibly due to having a different stroke number ?).

I suppose a company the size of Philips, with many different regional factories and international markets, it is hard to keep track of the various model/chassis types.

Philips marketing decisions always did seem a bit convoluted, with several chassis types and model ranges overlapping, sometimes this is easy to understand why, but other times at seemingly crossed purposes.
Old 18th Mar 2012, 6:51 pm   #35
Ricardo
Pentode

Jim (Jimmc101),

Thanks for providing scans of pages 2 and 3 from the CP90 chassis service manual.

Robert (Philips Fan),

I will certainly send you some photos of the television and the CP90 chassis in due course.

This thread seems to have developed a life of its own discussing the various televisions based around the CP90 and CP110 chassis types. So I will probably start a separate thread in relation to my fault finding, as I will probably need some more help from you TV gurus out there!

Best regards,

Richard
Old 18th Mar 2012, 7:01 pm   #36
Red to black
Nonode

Sorry Richard,
For the hijacking of your thread .

Back to your fault ahem!

The first point to measure is across the main block C2663, you should have approx. 320V across this capacitor.

Incidentaly, to unload the PSU from the line stage, you will need to unplug the linescan connector plug M6, you will need to load the supply with a 60W lamp connected across C2623, make sure the set is not in stby, you should have around 163 Volts across this capacitor.

Do these two checks first, and let us know the outcome.
Old 18th Mar 2012, 7:15 pm   #37
Ricardo
Pentode

'Red to Black',

Thanks for the advice. I now have the set in bits and my initial observation is that the line output transformer has suffered somewhat. I will nonetheless go ahead with the checks that you have suggested and report back, but it probably won't be before next weekend now.

By the way I am not unhappy at all with the diverse direction that this thread has taken. I find it all very interesting. My original request was only for the service data anyway which was kindly provided. I just thought it might be better to separate discussions about fault finding on my TV from the more general ones about Philips designs, etc.

Richard
Old 18th Mar 2012, 7:43 pm   #38
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Hey Ricardo

It would be great to add some words covering your experiences to the photos you are going to send. I would love to feature it in an article on the Collectors Sets section of the website (like these):

http://www.philipstv.org.uk/blog/collectors-sets/

http://www.philipstv.org.uk/blog/col...esome-s26k459/

Robert
Old 18th Mar 2012, 7:44 pm   #39
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Richard,

For the second test above, I should have said,

To isolate the line stage from the PSU, and run the PSU seperate you will need a dummy load.

With the linescan plug M6 disconnected and a 60W lamp connected across C2696, make sure the set is not in Stby, and you should have approx. 95Volts across this capacitor.(the +B line)

I had a bit of a blonde moment earlier!
Old 18th Mar 2012, 7:46 pm   #40
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Also:

Chaps, I could stick a new section up for these! Would either of you chaps be interested in helping document these Philips CP sets on the website? If so please PM or email me.

A few paragraphs would great for a start...

Kind regards

Robert
Closed Thread