UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2012, 6:29 pm   #1
Ricardo
Pentode

Default Philips CP90 Chassis Service Info

I have a faulty Philips 21CE1558 TV that I'd like to fix if possible.

I believe it uses a CP90 chassis and I have been able to download a Dutch Service Manual which has given me a set of circuit diagrams.

Does anyone know if there is any English language service information available for this TV chassis?

Best regards,

Richard
Old 14th Mar 2012, 6:38 pm   #2
Restorer79
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips CP90 Chassis Service Info

Hi Ricardo, PM me your email address and I will send you the full English manual.

Andy
Old 14th Mar 2012, 6:52 pm   #3
Ricardo
Pentode

Hello Andy,

That would be excellent.

A PM is on its way very soon.

Thanks and regards,

Richard
Old 14th Mar 2012, 7:11 pm   #4
Restorer79
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Richard, PM and manual sent, hope it's ok.

Andy
Old 15th Mar 2012, 1:44 am   #5
ben
Dekatron

What's wrong with it? Only major/common problems I had with these were backup batteries leaking, no front panel controls due to IC static damage, and pic distortion due to the IF can's caps leaking.
Old 15th Mar 2012, 2:25 am   #6
Clydeuk
Hexode

I used to repair loads of these, I remember the LOPT used to fail quite regularly too. I often used transformers from a particular cheapo Bush (Alba) chassis that were identical as we had loads of these in scrap. They looked identical anyway and always worked fine, making for a cheaper repair.

I can remember some of the faults mentioned above as well, they were pretty reliable though.
Old 15th Mar 2012, 9:22 am   #7
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

Also power supply due to small blue disc caps.
Old 15th Mar 2012, 4:00 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
I never knew about the Alba transformer! Oddly Philips supplied two types of transformer for these and the G90 - one cheap the other not. The cheap one always seemed to work...
Other than that there are some light blue electrolytics near the LOPT that can become distressed and cause odd faults.
I always liked these sets - they looked modern, the tubes were usually good (except for poor focus on some early orange label ones) and they were easy to fix, unless the back-up battery had leaked.
This was the last large-screen set, by Philips at least, that had a manual channel select option (CP90 NRC). I think that was developed mainly for hotel use, though oddly enough some of my customers bough them specifically even though there was little difference in price and the remote set could be worked from the front.
Glyn
Old 15th Mar 2012, 4:22 pm   #9
ben
Dekatron

I have one 21" non-remote version of the cp90 with (I think) 16 little electronic push buttons on the front for channels, and a 3-position rotary switch for selecting AV1, AV2 or tuner. The non-remote cp110, however, just had CH-up and down and it's front panel looked almost identical to the remote counterpart. I actually modded a couple by fitting the remote sensor and I think 2 resistors, they were that similar that you didn't need to do much to them.

I liked the cp90 as it was probably the first set to boast both front RCA's and a scart. Wonder why they didn't keep that front AV-in on the cp110?
Old 15th Mar 2012, 5:05 pm   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

The CP110 was probably designed/modified for production by another design group. I think it was the first TV for the general European market to be produced at Dreux, France. The presence of a TEA1039 in the power supply is clearly a sign the French were involved, as are the 3111-codes on the chassis.
Old 15th Mar 2012, 6:28 pm   #11
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

There was also a CP90 in a B&O cabinet the MX 1500
Old 16th Mar 2012, 2:02 pm   #12
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Really? I only saw the G110 (or was it the GR2.1?) in B&O dress. There were supposed to be modified but to be honest I never saw any noticeable difference.
I wondered why the CP110 was similar in some ways and quite different in others to the CP90 - that explains it. The PSU with that foil transformer could certainly cause headaches. The CP90 was far friendlier.
Glyn
Old 16th Mar 2012, 2:13 pm   #13
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Glyn I assume the CP series are out of my 'interest window'? I've never heard of them.
R
Old 16th Mar 2012, 2:32 pm   #14
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

These sets, CP90 along with the CP110 and 2A, are Philips gems.
Easy to repair, nothing too frightening, good money earners in their day.
Old 16th Mar 2012, 5:35 pm   #15
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

I was trying to determine what period they belong too. Did they come after the G11 etc?
Old 16th Mar 2012, 5:58 pm   #16
Red to black
Nonode

Hi Philips fan,

Re:CP90/110

Quote:
Did they come after the G11 etc?
They were a late 80's early 90's Chassis.
The CP 90 being for 90 degree smaller screen variants, and the CP110 it's 110 degree larger screen bigger brother (see differences by other posters earlier in the thread).

The CP90 I would say was the more reliable of the two, I did not see many of these early on in the life of the chassis, apart from memory battery replacement, but saw quite a few later, mainly for lopt and micro replacement (it required a metal shield fitting), and some for PSU repair.

The CP110 on the other hand, had teething problems with it's psu from very early on (it blew up!), and there were a string of modifications to this, and a small overvoltage panel was fitted to later versions.
These also suffered from microprocessor problems (same as the CP90), but the TEA1039 based PSU was it's weakest link.
Another odd thing with the CP110, was the EW controls were on the tube base.

Both of these chassis were replaced by the later G90 and G110 chassis (which is another story), these later chassis marked the change to surface mount components.
Old 16th Mar 2012, 6:24 pm   #17
gec2110
Retired Dormant Member

The CP90 was Philips first 21" FST 90Degree tube. They called it FSQ vision. The G90 and G110 was a step backwards, although the picture quality was better.

The power supply was almost made up of SMD devices there was also a modification kit for these as well. You had to replace everything with what was supplied in the kit if you had a set with a blown 3.15A fuse.
Old 16th Mar 2012, 6:39 pm   #18
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
there was also a modification kit for these as well. You had to replace everything with what was supplied in the kit if you had a set with a blown 3.15A fuse

Don't forget the extra reliability kit for the Mod kit GEC , where the G110 was concerned.
Old 17th Mar 2012, 7:42 am   #19
Philips Fan
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks chaps I could stick a new section up for these! Would either of you chaps be interested in helping document these Philips CP sets on the website? If so please PM or email me.

Kind regards

Robert
Old 17th Mar 2012, 6:14 pm   #20
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red to black View Post
Another odd thing with the CP110, was the EW controls were on the tube base.
GR2.x chassis had this strange feature as well.
Quote:
Both of these chassis were replaced by the later G90 and G110 chassis (which is another story), these later chassis marked the change to surface mount components.
I have the service manual for a CP90-SMD chassis. Never seen one in person, though. Must have been a small prototype or proof of concept series, made just before or even at the same time as the G90AE (I think the Italians came up with that chassis, the CP90SMD was probably Dutch/Belgian).
Closed Thread