UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2018, 11:18 am   #1
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default My parents' old TV

Until 1984 my parents rented a TV from Granada.

I've been trying to identify it from memory & old brochures posted online.

I remember it was colour with a 20-24 inch screen & medium brown wooden case. All the controls were on a 1/2" strip at the right side of the screen. It had 6-8 small round channel buttons which could be turned to tune the channels in. The volume, colour, brightness, & contrast controls were sliders & the power button was small & square.

The Ferguson 3852 looks similar but this was definitely a colour set.

I've got the feeling it's a Ferguson / Thorn set but I've not found a close enough match on https://www.radios-tv.co.uk yet.

If anyone can help please feel free to share some knowledge.
Old 28th May 2018, 11:36 am   #2
pastyboy
Hexode

Default Re: My parents Old TV

often Granada used the RBM a823 chassis, if it was a thorn set a 3000 would have a red cut out button top left side looking from back or 8000 series in middle under tube, the 3k had a fibreboard back as did many but not all of the rbm sets
Old 28th May 2018, 2:36 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: My parents' old TV

Granada also rented Finlandia sets.... could it be one of these....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ZvAQNjVSc

Cheers,

Steve P,
Old 28th May 2018, 5:03 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks for that Finlandia set link Steve. It was one of those that I didn't have the right license for in the seventies [recently re-opened TV Detector License Van thread-post 91*]. They seemed to be really exotic, Scandanavian and fuituristic at that time

Dave
Old 28th May 2018, 5:41 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Very reliable too when I worked there.
Old 28th May 2018, 6:52 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Yes very appreciated and nothing that I could have afforded to buy at the time There was a bundle with a VCR that had Long Play and you could drop in sound to edit, it was a great bonus but that feature didn't seem to last. Can't recall the model

I had a rather "Hail fellow well met" friend who looked and sounded much older than his real age. He told me he was working for Granada Television and knowing his theatrical background, mannerisms and french surname etc etc, I assumed he meant the Granada Studios in Manchester. I rang them up and the switchboard, due to my confident manner and his name, made the same deduction but he wasn't to be found. In fact, he had a job at Granada TV Rentals

Dave
Old 28th May 2018, 8:11 pm   #7
bionicmerlin
Heptode

i believe some sets were GEC
Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2176.jpg
Views:	1444
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	163733  
Old 28th May 2018, 8:24 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Think the vcr was an Hitachi that if if I am correct had to have a clock mod.VT33??
Old 28th May 2018, 8:29 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Sounds familiar but I can't be sure. I don't think many VCR's had "audio dub" but what do I know really I got some 8mm film [1964 party] trans to vhs and could add a Beatles soundtrack

Dave
Old 28th May 2018, 8:38 pm   #10
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I had a rather "Hail fellow well met" friend who looked and sounded much older than his real age. He told me he was working for Granada Television and knowing his theatrical background, mannerisms and french surname etc etc, I assumed he meant the Granada Studios in Manchester. I rang them up and the switchboard, due to my confident manner and his name, made the same deduction but he wasn't to be found. In fact, he had a job at Granada TV Rentals
That made me smile!

My Grandfather used to tell all the other inmates in his nursing home that I was a director at Granada, when in fact I was just a technician with GTVR.

Nevertheless, I did, for several years, spend each weekday morning at the Quay Street site and got to to know the place rather well, this was arguably in its heyday, the time that Jewel in the Crown, Sherlock Holmes &etc. were in production.

Occasionally I got involved with supplying sets as props.

In order to put me in my place so to speak, the Technical Maintenance guys used to call me the Red Arrow man, those that know a bit about the history of the group will understand why.
Old 28th May 2018, 9:55 pm   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Your set sounds a bit like a Thorn 9000, though the Ferguson version was 20" with square channel buttons and a plastic cabinet. The sliders, on-off switch and the controls in a vertical strip do sound like it, though.
Old 28th May 2018, 9:57 pm   #12
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicmerlin View Post
i believe some sets were GEC
I had another look at https://www.radios-tv.co.uk & some of the GECs look close (especially the C2001H family) but no exact match in the brochures featured.
Old 28th May 2018, 10:49 pm   #13
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Your set sounds a bit like a Thorn 9000, though the Ferguson version was 20" with square channel buttons and a plastic cabinet. The sliders, on-off switch and the controls in a vertical strip do sound like it, though.
Thanks for that I'll see if I can find a photo.

The Ultra 6844 is another near miss, being a B&W set but on the right lines, the colour ones are close but not quite right.
Old 29th May 2018, 7:28 pm   #14
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
The set I mentioned was the Ferguson 3722 (9000 chassis). Hard to find a picture, but scroll down a few pages on this link and it's there as 'good value'.
Hope this helps!
Old 29th May 2018, 8:40 pm   #15
Richard_FM
Nonode

Thanks it's close but I'm fairly certain the channel buttons were ribbed black plastic tubes with a chrome top, which were used on other Fergusons (& a few other makes) in the 1970s.
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 12:11 am   #16
Richard_FM
Nonode

After doing a bit more digging the HMV 2725 (8800 chassis) looks very close, maybe it was another set with the same chassis, as many Thorn / Ferguson / HMV / Ultra used it.

Certainly the channel push buttons & setting sliders look right, maybe it was a face lifted model or something specially made for Granada.

I know they first got a colour set in 1976-7 & possibly had the same one until 1984.
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 12:50 pm   #17
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Thorn certainly made TVs with different cabinet designs for Radio Rentals, badging them 'Baird', presumably to deter thieves. It's more than likely Granada had a similar agreement.
Many years ago, some TVs were stolen from the local Radio Rentals branch. One found a proud new owner from a pub transaction. 'What happens if it goes wrong?' asked the new owner. 'No problem', said Mr Burglar, 'just take it back to the Radio Rentals shop in town'. Said set duly went wrong, man duly returned it to the shop and the police duly arrived....
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 1:10 pm   #18
Richard_FM
Nonode

The above set had a Granada logo-ed MK plug, which my Dad managed to pocket before handing it back, & it was fitted to the WH Smiths Data Recorder we had with our Acorn Electron.
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 4:31 pm   #19
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Maybe one day you will complete the set
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Granada MK.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	163996  
Old 2nd Jun 2018, 5:15 pm   #20
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
....Thorn certainly made TVs with different cabinet designs for Radio Rentals......
Hi I believe that this also may have been case with Granada, however whilst the Baird branded Thorn/Ferguson equivalents were electrically identical to the manufacturers designs, whilst often being cosmetically exclusive to the rental company, the Granada sets were not.

In Granada's case many sets were also electrically exclusive to Granada too, having additions such as remote control where the manufacturer would never produce a similar set for retail purposes; I know of at least one Granada branded GEC design where this was the case.

(Radio Rentals marketed one TX10 design as the 8233 and DER's version was the 5283, both sets were extremely cosmetically different).

Regards

Andrew
Closed Thread