UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2020, 5:56 pm   #1
Records
Hexode

Default Ekco 350

This was an ebay purchase, i just liked it and thought why not.
I have since found out it is from 1978 and i assume one of the last PYE products using the ECKO name.
It was made in Japan for Pye and it shows, its very well built and quite a heavy radio for its size.
So when it arrived i gave it a try, radio worked fine just scratchy pots, but the cassette was another matter, belt had degraded but instead of black goo on the pulleys it had simply fallen off and made a mess in the bottom of the case.
I had a big bag of replacement belts so it was trial and error to find the right size. A good wipe down of the case and a shot of servisol, has it sounding very good, the tape deck gives a good account of itself, its been sat here playing Elvis as it was his birthday today.
Im very happy with the result

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	213667
Old 16th Aug 2020, 8:30 pm   #2

Default Re: Ekco 350

If I had that in 1978 (a teenager) I would be very chuffed. Ticks all the boxes for a radio fan.

Old 16th Aug 2020, 8:57 pm   #3
Records
Hexode

i was 9 in 1978 i had an AKai CT5 cassette radio, my dad has no idea what he did with it, probably had a clear out when i left home and tossed it, ive searched for one a long time, all ive found is the instruction manual, maybe one day i will find one, for now though im happy buying some off ebay and bringing them back to life.
Old 19th Aug 2020, 3:24 am   #4
FStephenMasek
Pentode

Congratulations! That does look like something many of us would have wanted in 1978. I was in college then.
Closed Thread