UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Aug 2020, 8:38 pm   #1
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Default Pye V220

Hi everyone

I got this set a few years ago from a local lady that had it from new, upgrading to colour in the mid 70s, so this went in her and her husbands loft. He passed away and she was clearing the house of things she no longer wanted. It was made in Lowestoft and had only travelled 15 miles down the road and stayed there ever since.

First thing to do was wash everything, flash and hot water got years of dirt off everything. I very carefully removed the lopt and found that one capacitor to one of the lopt tags had never taken to its solder, I gave it a ring test, presumed it was fine and put it in a box in the airing cupboard - then lost interest in it for over a year.

As this year has been a stay at home year and the little pye kept looking at me every time I went into the garage I decided it was time to do something with it. I replaced all the caps en masse, I know purists would hate that but every one I removed was terribly leaky and not wanting to swing the pcb in and out loads of times while I looked to see the effects of faulty caps, so out they all came while I had the chassis completely out of the cabinet. I tested every single resistor on a baking hot day in the garage, it’s surprising how hot a garage can get when the afternoon sun is beating down on the up and over metal door. Every resistor was out of tolerance, so these were replaced too. I then reformed the smoother and with excitement getting the better of me slapped the lopt back in showed the chassis back in the cabinet and gave it a taste of the mains - from an isolated varic supply. Not much happened, I thought I had introduced some fault or other, until I heard a bit of a crackle, turned the voltage up a bit, a minute later I could hear the frame Tx buzzing, turned up the voltage more and it lit up nicely.

Found my aurora, now to find a PS to run it on, found the one I normally use, but the mice round here seem to have a taste for insulation, so replaced cable on power supply, resoldered aerial connector and turned the selector knob until a picture appeared.

Pic is nice and bright, but I think the smoother is gone as the picture seems to have a thick horizontal band that slowly moves down the screen and pulls the sides in a bit as it does so. I do have a question though, when I removed the DY for cleaning I also removed the linearity sleeve, I didn’t think to look at its orientation. So what position should the opening be? I have it at the 12 o’clock position. The service manual just says to adjust to give the width you want. I have done a video of the band moving down the screen but it’s a move file so can’t upload it here.

It’s been fun to get it going, it could also do with me replacing the selenium rectifier with a diode and resistor, but I would leave the original in situ for appearances sake.

Now that’s done I really ought to finish the Pye 697 I have in another shed.

Cheers

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B08562C0-D553-4AAF-966A-E3C0417393C2.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	214355   Click image for larger version

Name:	A0F530DA-192C-491A-B657-4B231EC3BD89.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	214356   Click image for larger version

Name:	6273FFEA-2E81-472E-BA3F-AE5DF702E5F3.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	214357  
Old 1st Sep 2020, 3:01 pm   #2
AJSmith625
Pentode

Default Re: Pye V220

Hello Mike, just realised this set is 'The Little Green Pye' that you posted back in May 2018. Pleased to see you have got it going. The tube looks nice and bright. I find these early 60s, start of the slim-line era and the radical change of appearance compared to the traditional 'box' set interesting. The first family TV set we had, an Argosy, about the same era 1961 with a slimline tube again was of a much slimmer design. I remember the first time I took the back off this as a young teenager and wandered why I couldn't find a finned selenium HT rectifier, not knowing then it was one of the first sets to use the new silicon power diodes.

Alan
Old 1st Sep 2020, 7:59 pm   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Blimey , that takes me back , I had totally forgot this set , never did like all those valves on a printed cct, well done in getting it working again . Mick.
Old 2nd Sep 2020, 7:23 pm   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Well done Mike. These are a pig to service but work well when sorted. That panel only opens a small amount and the leads to the top caps of the PL81/PY81 have to be extended.
All the resistors were leaky.
Once these were all sorted the linearity was 100%.
John.
Old 7th Sep 2020, 12:45 pm   #5
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Nice work. I like the look of this model and would love on myself.
Old 11th Sep 2020, 7:37 pm   #6
Tazman1966
Nonode

A good job Mike. It has a similar look about it to the V210 that I had until recently. Jon Evans is now the proud owner of it. Nice sets and very robust print on thee early PCBs too.
Closed Thread