UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2020, 7:48 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Two Emerson radios

I have been looking for an Emerson 888 in black , a nostalgia thing you understand , the story is I had a 888 when I was a school I would be about twelve years old ,I didn't work it was beyond my capabilities at the time , so a friend of mine said my uncle repairs radio's , so off we went on the buss to his uncle's ,who seemed more interested in buying the radio ,from me than repairing it for me , so a price was agreed , 10 bob that is 50p in new money, I regret selling it for years , 58 to be precise . When I saw these on Ebay I had to have them , the grey one is the same as the one I had ,only mine was black , the white one was a lovely looking thing , I managed to buy both , free p/p. from Ireland . Anyway enough of the , . They arrived this morning , superbly packed , within two hours they were both repaired not to much wrong ,the grey one was the worst having replaced all the electrolytic capacitor ,I still had a problem ,which turned out to be a broken wire on the ferrite rod aerial , the white one responded well to replacing the capacitors , both are working fine now , Don't you just love them . Mick
PS my next nostalgia thing is a DST100 I need a new hip at that .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0034.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	213965  

Last edited by vinrads; 20th Aug 2020 at 7:54 pm.
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 6:34 pm   #2
usradcoll1
Heptode

Default Re: Two Emerson radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinrads View Post
I have been looking for an Emerson 888 in black , a nostalgia thing you understand , the story is I had a 888 when I was a school I would be about twelve years old ,I didn't work it was beyond my capabilities at the time , so a friend of mine said my uncle repairs radio's , so off we went on the buss to his uncle's ,who seemed more interested in buying the radio ,from me than repairing it for me , so a price was agreed , 10 bob that is 50p in new money, I regret selling it for years , 58 to be precise . When I saw these on Ebay I had to have them , the grey one is the same as the one I had ,only mine was black , the white one was a lovely looking thing , I managed to buy both , free p/p. from Ireland . Anyway enough of the , . They arrived this morning , superbly packed , within two hours they were both repaired not to much wrong ,the grey one was the worst having replaced all the electrolytic capacitor ,I still had a problem ,which turned out to be a broken wire on the ferrite rod aerial , the white one responded well to replacing the capacitors , both are working fine now , Don't you just love them . Mick
PS my next nostalgia thing is a DST100 I need a new hip at that .
I repaired several through the years. Usually simple problems. They were a better value for the money.
I had one in for repair that had a bad F/C transistor. I went to the Emerson parts distributor for a replacement. The technician that worked told me to heat transistor with a hot soldering iron. It was counter to everything I learned about transistors, excessive heat! It worked like a charm! It was a practice I followed for ages.
I have one in my collection, similar to the one pictured on the right.
Dave, mad USradcoll1.
Closed Thread