UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2022, 3:16 pm   #1
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Cassette deck head alignment - a surprise

I've just been recording some cassettes of Christmas music for our young children to play. To do this I've been using my workshop Denon DR-M22 cassette deck (pictured) which I bought secondhand a few months ago. I've been using it for playback but had never tried recording with it. I had great difficulty getting consistent recording levels on the tape. Cutting a long story short, I found that the record gain adjustment presets on the main PCB had gone low in value (supposed to be 10k, measured 8k) which meant that correct record level couldn't be achieved even at their top position. That led me a merry dance!

On the journey to discovering that, I did a lot of experimenting with the tape path (it had very obviously been fiddled with by some previous owner). This deck has nice robust adjustments for head height and zenith as well as the usual azimuth screw. I got it about right, checking it against known good recordings, but there was one tape which just didn't play well - the channel levels were uneven and about 6-10dB below what they should have been. Using this as my "difficult" test tape, I found I could align the head to play it well, but then all the other known good tapes didn't play properly, also suffering low level and channel imbalance.

Examining the tape in question, which has had a long and chequered history of being used in all sorts of unknown cassette machines, I found that the tape itself was damaged, with noticeable ridges folded in to the tape and sometimes scoring along its length - also pictured. It was clearly not a good example to optimise for!

What was particularly interesting was that, on this damaged tape, it was possible to find a position of the head which played it well. That position was just different from the correct one. Presumably it's possible for the head to be reading undamaged material avoiding the folds and scratches.

I'll remember this next time I want to recover a recording from a worn or damaged cassette - sometimes adjusting the head height, not just the azimuth, might get more off the tape, and a deck like this which makes the adjustment easy is useful to have around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221220_144136.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	270131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221220_144300.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	270132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221219_120812.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	270133  
Old 20th Dec 2022, 3:20 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Cassette deck head alignment - a surprise

Appears that the suspect tape was recorded on a deck with incorrect head alignment, it wouldn’t have mattered if the tapes recorded on that machine were only ever played back on it.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 3:21 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I suspect the crease in the tape is just stopping it tracking properly.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 3:37 pm   #4
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Appears that the suspect tape was recorded on a deck with incorrect head alignment, it wouldn’t have mattered if the tapes recorded on that machine were only ever played back on it.
The tape was definitely OK when it was recorded - it was me that recorded it about 30 years ago on a high-quality deck (either Akai UC-K2, which I still have, or Technics RS-M45 which I don't) and it played absolutely fine on other decks before it got used and abused (it was very popular at parties for a few years). I have other cassettes which were recorded at the same time on the same deck and which still play perfectly.

I'm just glad to have accidentally found one way to get good playback from creased tapes.

Chris
Old 20th Dec 2022, 4:22 pm   #5
knobtwiddler
Octode

I can't see too much detail, but it looks like what's known as 'rail roading' to me. TDK tapes are famous for it, and I suspect I have a few that are much worse than that, yet they play perfectly and don't seem to have more drop-outs than other tapes that are flat.

Is the Denon a twin-capstan drive? Azimuth should be more stable on a TC machine, but I have seen people posit that single-capstan has advantages when it comes to creased tapes. I would have thought that the TC arrangement would be better, but my memory on the topic needs refreshing.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure that the crease is the problem here. Once under tension, the tape will be pretty flat. My suspicion would be head height on the machine that made the tape, along with azimuth (the 2 are interlinked, obviously).

Have you tested the machine with any test tapes? Torque would be interesting, as it should give back tension. You can get 6 test tapes from a fellow in Germany for ~ £50 if you don't have them already (no torque tape - but there is a great tutorial at this forum where someone shows how to do it with spring gauge).
Old 20th Dec 2022, 6:28 pm   #6
theredhouseinn
Hexode

You cannot align a tape deck using a pre-recorded music tape.
You will need the service- manual, scope, sig gen, mv meter, and test tapes at the very least.
Follow the procedure in the manual, head alignment, playback circuits, and then record circuits using a new cassette.
You cannot measure resistance of components in situ as there will be other components connected to the pre-sets which will give you a lower reading than the value of the individual pot.
John.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 6:59 pm   #7
cmjones01
Nonode

Yes, the Denon is a dual capstan machine, and usually does a good job with difficult tapes (for example, cheapo pre-recorded computer games where the pressure pad/sponge has rotted away). I've tested the machine in various ways. I don't have a head height gauge (yet) so I set the head height using tones recorded on left and right channels by my Technics RS-B355 which, though it's a budget deck, I've owned from new and am 100% certain it hasn't been fiddled with or repaired or adjusted. It's also the deck on which the vast majority of my cassettes were recorded. It was quite straightforward to find the point at which both channels replayed left and right at the same levels and at maximum amplitude, indicating (to me at least!) that the head was lined up with the tracks on the tape correctly.

With some confidence that the tape path was now sane and unlikely to damage any cassettes put in to it, I used my test tape from ANT audio to set the replay levels and check the speed. Remarkably, the 400Hz test tone on the ANT tape measured correctly to within 0.5Hz without any adjustment, which is impressively accurate. All this done, the deck replays cassettes recorded on the Technics perfectly, even those recorded with Dolby C. Once replay was right, setting up recording was OK once I'd figured out the faulty presets.

I suppose there remains the possibility that the "difficult" cassette was recorded on a misaligned machine, but I know exactly which two decks I was using on the date it was recorded. One of them I no longer own, a Technics RS-M45, but that has fixed head height so was unlikely to be much wrong. The other is an Akai UC-M2 which I do still have in storage (its friends the UC-K2 tuner and UC-U2 amplifier are in use as our kitchen radio!) so now I feel I should dig it out, give it the new belts it definitely needs, and test it to better understand what's going on.

Chris
Old 20th Dec 2022, 7:06 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhouseinn View Post
You cannot measure resistance of components in situ as there will be other components connected to the pre-sets which will give you a lower reading than the value of the individual pot.
Look at the pots concerned in the schematic:

https://archives.doctsf.com/document...5575&ref=75255

Lawrence.
Old 20th Dec 2022, 7:21 pm   #9
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhouseinn View Post
Look at the pots concerned in the schematic:

https://archives.doctsf.com/document...5575&ref=75255
Indeed. I measured them out of circuit as well and they were just as bad. It was just much easier to take a photo while holding the meter prods on to the pots while they were soldered in to the circuit board! I'm not at all sure what the mechanism for a carbon track pot to fall in value is, but the 6 pots were all over the place. The 10k ones measured anything from 8k to 11.5k and the 20k ones were between 16 and 18k. Unfortunately the absolute value of the pots does affect the deck's calibration. If I was a perfectionist I'd replace them all, but I probably don't have any that would fit properly and it was easier to sneak a surface-mount resistor in series under the PCB...

Chris
Old 21st Dec 2022, 4:01 am   #10
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post

...Examining the tape in question, which has had a long and chequered history of being used in all sorts of unknown cassette machines, I found that the tape itself was damaged, with noticeable ridges folded in to the tape and sometimes scoring along its length - also pictured. It was clearly not a good example to optimise for!

What was particularly interesting was that, on this damaged tape, it was possible to find a position of the head which played it well. That position was just different from the correct one. Presumably it's possible for the head to be reading undamaged material avoiding the folds and scratches.

I'll remember this next time I want to recover a recording from a worn or damaged cassette - sometimes adjusting the head height, not just the azimuth, might get more off the tape, and a deck like this which makes the adjustment easy is useful to have around.
I suspect most tape damage is caused by playing the tapes in a poorly maintained/adjusted deck. Adjusting any of the head angles requires care as getting it wrong can damage tapes. Apart from azimuth it's generally best to adjust head angles using the proper head alignment jig tool, with no tape in sight.

I'd be interested to see the "head height" adjustment on your Denon's head. Usually no single screw adjusts head height, but two screws which must be adjusted in tandem. If not, head tilt (zenith) is affected. It can be difficult to get tilt back to standard. Also azimuth is changed regardless. After each height change we have to correct the azimuth error which was created. It's rare to find a deck which allows head height adjustment independently of zenith and azimuth.

Another problem with adjusting head height is it's common for a tape guide to be welded to the side of the head. So with head height, guide height also changes, forcing the tape to travel a sometimes tortured path and possibly creasing the tape.

Changing head height to find a better signal off the tape is best done on a deck which allows us to change only the head height, not disturbing head tilt or tape travel height.
Old 21st Dec 2022, 10:57 am   #11
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
I'd be interested to see the "head height" adjustment on your Denon's head. Usually no single screw adjusts head height, but two screws which must be adjusted in tandem. If not, head tilt (zenith) is affected. It can be difficult to get tilt back to standard. Also azimuth is changed regardless. After each height change we have to correct the azimuth error which was created. It's rare to find a deck which allows head height adjustment independently of zenith and azimuth.
It's a bit tricky to take photos because the cassette door is in the way, but these two should give you an idea. The tape path seems remarkably adjustable for a deck which is by no means top-of-the-range. The adjustments are also pretty robust. They're nuts on studding, rather than the screws in to thin sheet metal which are so often found.

The record and play heads are glued together in one assembly with a tape guide screwed to the side. On the left is the prominent azimuth adjustment nut, and on the right is its complement. I'm referring to these two together as the "head height adjustment" just because of the geometry of the situation - they're relatively close to the tape itself, so their primary effect is going to be the height and they'll have a relatively small (though not zero, of course) effect on the zenith. It's quite practical to turn the left and right nuts together with a pair of 4mm socket drivers.

The "zenith adjustment" is below the head on the left hand side and seems to be still factory sealed and I'm not going to fiddle with it. As far as I can see it'll mostly affect the zenith but also have a smallish effect on the head height.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221221_103734.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	270184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221221_103748.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	270185  
Old 21st Dec 2022, 2:00 pm   #12
TIMTAPE
Octode

For this three mount system with the integral tape guide, I prefer to think of the two left screws together as height adjustment with the differential between these two screws adjusting zenith. The right screw is azimuth only.

It should be apparent that adjusting height solely with the front screw changes the zenith as the head is now pivoting on the fixed point of the rear screw.

But again with a tape guide fixed to the head, anything greater than tiny head height deviations (re the tape) arent really possible as raising the head merely raises the tape as well. The only way to raise the head without also raising the tape is for the tape to somewhat deform around the lower tape guide finger, which isnt great.

The best way to custom adjust head height is with a head with no attached tape guide so the head is free to be raised or lowered re the tape without the complication of the fixed tape guide.

Heads with a fixed guide were made with hopefully enough precision that with standard azimuth, guide height and head height (both record and play heads) would be in agreement.

Normally the azimuth screw is on the side furthest from the tape guide (as it is with your Denon), so head height interaction is reduced. On many cassette head setups there is only screw to adjust (azimuth) with zenith assumed to be correct, and any adjustment of head height made by adding or subtracting washers at the fixed point screw near the tape guide. Interestingly with this three head setup, adjusting merely azimuth has much more of an effect on play head height than on record head height so not great for custom adjusting play head height to optimise playback of an odd recording. Obviously with you Denon's 3 head "sandwich" head design, the engineer had to make a choice as whether the record or play head's height interacted least with azimuth adjustments. They chose the record head.

In an ideal setup for custom playback adjustments, the playback head has no tape guide attached and head height can be changed with just one screw, not affecting zenith. The only cassette machines I know of with these features are the "classic" Nakamichi's, either 2 or 3 head model. Adjusting head height does still change azimuth but I regard azimuth as the easiest setting to correct, usually requiring only listening for the strongest highs while playing the relevent tape.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 21st Dec 2022 at 2:22 pm.
Old 25th Dec 2022, 12:33 am   #13
TIMTAPE
Octode

Just to add, I'd probably not change head height but try to find ways to temporarily flatten the ridge in the tape, so the tape runs flatter across the play head, and the tracks arent so "pinched" closer together due to the crease.

I normally only custom adjust head height when it's suspected the tape was recorded with non standard head height. Another case is on a mono recording where we play it back with only the left or right track head section, moving the narrower track to the best sounding position vertically, avoiding the damaged section. I take it this was your aim.

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 25th Dec 2022 at 12:42 am.
Old 29th Dec 2022, 4:57 pm   #14
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I'm interested as to how the pot value being 8k rather than 10k has such an effect. If at maximum there's not enough adjustment, why didn't they use a fixed resistor and a 2k pot if all the required adjustment is in the 2k that you've lost?
Old 29th Dec 2022, 7:42 pm   #15
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
I'm interested as to how the pot value being 8k rather than 10k has such an effect. If at maximum there's not enough adjustment, why didn't they use a fixed resistor and a 2k pot if all the required adjustment is in the 2k that you've lost?
It might be so on that machine, but the amount of adjustment needs to be sufficient to handle the full production spread. Designers usually err on the more adjustment side because not enough available will crash the production line (Never popular...)

I've seen enough far offset twiddlepots, just to save a fixed resistor, but getting it right, with a nominal set having them at mid-span is a sign of care and quality.

David
Old 29th Dec 2022, 8:06 pm   #16
knobtwiddler
Octode

I was surprised to find that on the Nakamichi CR-70 (CR-7 Japan version), the recording level trim pots roll off HF when at low rotation... I can only conclude that the designers felt it'd be fed with a 150-300mV level, and no one would put the default 1VRMS from their analyser into FR (as I did, when I got the machine to test head FR). It seems that they made a trade-off against fitting an extra buffer VS the amount of people likely to feed it with a 1V signal. Mind you, some CD players can give 2VRMS @ 0dBFS, and the CR-70 was made up until 1992...which makes me suspect that a few users might have tapes with somewhat rolled off HF...
Old 4th Jan 2023, 12:32 pm   #17
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
For this three mount system with the integral tape guide, I prefer to think of the two left screws together as height adjustment with the differential between these two screws adjusting zenith. The right screw is azimuth only.
That's a great way of looking at it, and I hadn't considered the relevance of the position of the tape guide. Reading the Denon's service manual again, it defines the adjustments in exactly the way you describe, so I'd misinterpreted the left screw as the primary azimuth adjustment. That's where it is on all my other cassette decks so I assumed it must be in the same place, but the Denon has the tape guide on the left of the head instead of the (more common, in my experience) right of the head.

I've ordered a fairly affordable head height/angle adjustment gauge from Aliexpress so we'll see if it's any good and if it helps get the head set up right.

My aim in all of this is to make the deck reliably usable without damaging tapes, and to understand how the adjustments interact in order to get the best results when transcribing old cassette recordings sometimes of dubious origin and condition. I'm likely to adjust it repeatedly in order to do that, and experience so far suggests that the adjustment to non-standard settings is worthwhile, but I also want to be able to return it to correct adjustment afterwards.

I have a couple more decks which need setting up properly, both bought secondhand and clearly having been fiddled with. My Sony WM-D6C, though little used, has clearly been got at mechanically and electrically and needs thoroughly sorting out, and my Sony TC-K81's head carriage mechanism had fallen apart, which renders moot any existing adjustments! I've got them both working well enough to be usable but would like to do better.

Chris
Old 12th Jan 2023, 11:06 pm   #18
cmjones01
Nonode

I've just taken delivery of the alignment gauge mentioned above. It seems well made and, according to my micrometer, the back plate is exactly 2.40mm thick and the gauge pieces are exactly 3.80mm wide. That accords with my calculations of how big they ought to be, having measured the thickness of a selection of cassettes. They average 8.61mm thick (a TDK MA-R, quelle surprise, is both closest to the mean size and has the smallest variation around its circumference). Does anyone have a reference to what the thickness is supposed to be?

I've offered the gauge up to a few cassette decks. The Denon's head height is definitely wrong (too far from the back plate). That comes as no suprise to me. The Akai UC-M2 seems to be spot on. The Technics RS-B355, which is my "reference", also seems to be wrong - head too high - which is a bit worrying since 95% of my cassettes were recorded on it.

I tried the gauge on my old Realistic CTR-80A computer cassette recorder and it also shows the head being too high, but then I noticed something else: rather than using the rear bottom edge of the cassette as its datum, like all my "hi-fi" decks do, it uses two pins which sit in the two squarish holes at the bottom edge of the cassette, so this kind of gauge just won't work properly in it.

I'll try adjusting the Denon properly when I get a moment and see how well it works after that.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20230112_225613.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	271383  
Old 12th Jan 2023, 11:30 pm   #19
cmjones01
Nonode

Alignment experiment done, with interesting results. I set the Denon's head height correctly according to the gauge, in the middle of the range at which the gauge passed easily between the tape guides on on the record/playback head. Then I tried playing a cassette which is representative of my Technics deck - a recording of Malcolm Mclaren's "Waltz Darling" which was recorded from CD on a TDK SA-X using Dolby C when the Technics was almost brand new in 1989. Even with the azimuth adjusted optimally, playback was a disaster - level about 5-10dB too low and Dolby C clearly struggling, with very dull sound quality.

A small tweak on the head height (and thence azimuth) brought an immediate transformation. The playback level came back to where it should be and the sound brightened up so it sounded pretty much like the original CD (which, for the avoidance of doubt, I also own!). No trace of any Dolby C artefacts like pumping or loss of top end.

Using the gauge to check the head position now, it clearly shows it too high, and I can just get a 0.003" (0.076mm) feeler gauge in between the gauge and the back plate when it's resting on the tape guide.

So either the gauge is wrong (doubtful, since I checked it with a micrometer), my adjustment technique is wrong (hopefully not, there isn't a lot to it), or, most likely, my original Technics deck was set up at the factory with the wrong head height so my entire collection of cassettes is slightly non-standard!

Chris
Old 13th Jan 2023, 10:26 am   #20
cmjones01
Nonode

Another data point: I tried the height gauge on my Sony WM-D6C pro Walkman this morning. I've always thought its playback gain was misaligned, because cassettes recorded on the Technics with Dolby C sound absolutely terrible on it, and its peak level meter always seemed to under-read. But the head height according to the gauge is spot-on. That gave me the confidence to try my (full track) ANT test tape in it, and sure enough the playback gain seems correct, at least at a quick glance.

This further reinforces my suspicion that my Technics cassette deck's head height was wrong from the factory, and so its recordings will always need special treatment to play properly.

I knew cassette interchangeability could be a problem, but I had no idea it could be quite this bad!

Chris