UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2023, 1:50 am   #1
Mark1960
Octode

Default Phillips MC6400

I wasn’t sure if anyone here had seen this before, I think its based on the INS8070.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlj2oZUlRDY

And a bit more info here

http://norbert.old.no/kits/6400/6400.html

http://norbert.old.no/extra/extra3.html
Old 19th Jan 2023, 4:11 am   #2
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Phillips MC6400

Thanks for that, which I hadn't seen before.
Quite a lot of info on the INS8070 SC/MP-3 on the last link
- Albeit all Dutch, so will have to try a Google translate.

I presume this was before Philips started producing their own uP's / uC's.
- Although those were mostly 80xx Intel architecture copies (But with some Enhancements on 8051's like a NOP only taking 6cycles rather than original 12! - Before SiLabs produced very high-speed ones that did it in a single-cycle & working upto 100MHz - Although hey and users +Philips-NXP / Motorola's Freescale they bought, later mostly switched to ARM uC's)
Old 19th Jan 2023, 8:51 pm   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

I'm sure Philips already produced their own. Mainly variations on the 8048 core which they licenced from intel, but starting from 1975 also the full Signetics range such as the 2650.

It's even stranger. Those educational kits were a project of Philips Germany, and the semiconductor location that produced many of Philips' own processors, also belonged to Philips Germany.
Old 19th Jan 2023, 9:57 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

On the other hand, different Philips divisions did use outside processors as their goto solution. Philips Austria did some cassette decks with a NS COPII series controller, and the Belgian CD player division used 6800 derivatives for quite some time. TV sets mostly used 8048 derivatives, and later Toshiba TMP47 series.
Old 20th Jan 2023, 7:46 am   #5
Mark1960
Octode

Maybe its not so easy to develop a microprocessor trainer for the MCS-48 processor family due to the harvard architecture. Its designed for microcontroller applications where separate program and data is not a limitation, but would not be so easy to design a monitor program to modify program memory. It can be done with external memory and a little extra glue logic but easier with the INS8070.
Old 21st Jan 2023, 8:50 pm   #6
Phil__G
Octode

I used to love the 48's, they were like PIC predecessors!
I did a bicycle computer (speed/distance/time/etc) which I might still have somewhere
Old 21st Jan 2023, 9:30 pm   #7
Phil__G
Octode

Had a dig and found some source, pretty sure this isnt the final one though... some notes have survived the years, not others... this was 30+ years back...
Attached Files
File Type: zip SP9.zip (2.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 21st Jan 2023, 9:34 pm   #8
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Have to admit I much preferred the 8051-series, I still have a couple of tubes of the 40-pin UV-erasable 8751s but I eventually went on to Atmel's Flash programmable AT89Cxx series which were '51 series code compatible.

I may also have a few UV-erasable 8748s.
Old 22nd Jan 2023, 12:21 am   #9
ortek_service
Octode

Now that Micochip have taken over Atmel, then they seem to be killing-off the old AVR/Atmel Studio and Atmel programmers, and adding support to MPLAB-X PIC Tools for the still-current ATmega products. So probably need to retain old h/w & tools for the (pre-AVR/ATMega) AT8xxxx series.

The 8051 had a bit of a resurrection around 15+ years ago, when Silicon Labs released all their turbo'd versions of it. And they gave you a free (code-size limited at first, but can now get free full lifetime version from them) IAR / Keil C-compiler.
They had a quite-low voltage core voltage, but some had a built-in regulator that could be fed from +5V, along with the separate Vio pin).

I don't think they did DIL-versions, but many of their later / smaller ones were available on very-low cost (£10) 'Toolstick' Eval/Demo board modules. But SiLabs tend to have now mainly switched to EFM32 'Gecko' ARM-based uC's (originated by Energy-Micro, before SiLabs took them over).

So SiLabs had kind of done for the 8051, what Microchip did for the (originally GI, before buying them) PIC.

Elektor also seemed quite keen on using Philips & Siemens 80Cxxx 8bit (and later 16bit) uC's in their projects in the early 90's etc. (I salvaged an 80C32 for their DFM project, after buying PCB & EPROM from them), maybe preferring products from European manufacturers (even if they had originated from Intel in USA, who probably weren't really developing these much further), rather than originally Motorola-only MC68HC0x / MC68HC1x etc (Although ex-Philips NXP has now taken over ex-Motorola Freescale uC/uP parts).

Last edited by ortek_service; 22nd Jan 2023 at 12:29 am.
Closed Thread