UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2023, 2:11 pm   #1
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default Rural mains post to post street twin wiring

Seems like this was the best section for this question.
I have acquired a small haul of this twin wire from a rural wiring refit . I suppose you could call it twin wire . The conductors not bonded together just two copper conductors that are insulated with a thick black heavy duty insulation at first i thought it was HD twin but no, they are very loosly twisted together and can be easily separated. The copper conductors are almost 2mm diametre ( 1.9mm ) and solid , not flex strands.
My question is what could this black insulation be made from and what might be its
Substrate Dielectric Constant, it is highly durable and has been there for years in all weathers but looks like new !!!.
I,m im trying to get some kind of an idea for a twin line feeder calculator answer for a dipole aerial.
https://www.dosupply.com/tech/2021/1...it-calculated/
Old 29th Jan 2023, 2:17 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Rural mains post to post street twin wiring

2mm sounds very thin for mains wiring, unless it was used for something low powered like street-lighting.

Not sure what the setup is over in Spain, but here in the UK a lot of the old single-uninsulated-and-ceramic-insulators overhead wiring is now being replaced by what they call ABC - Aerial Bundled Cable - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_bundled_cable
Old 29th Jan 2023, 3:01 pm   #3
Malcolm T
Hexode

It handles the new LED re fit street lights. Every rural house here also has its own council supplied and maintained light fitted to the corner of the house to light the path and door way. So i can only assume they refitted the whole area with new wires post to post as they had a 4wd with a very large wooden cable drum of the stuff and all new cable clamps.
I interested in the black covering and what its dielectric constant might be ?.
Old 29th Jan 2023, 3:26 pm   #4
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm T View Post
It handles the new LED re fit street lights. Every rural house here also has its own council supplied and maintained light fitted to the corner of the house to light the path and door way. So i can only assume they refitted the whole area with new wires post to post as they had a 4wd with a very large wooden cable drum of the stuff and all new cable clamps.
I interested in the black covering and what its dielectric constant might be ?.
That sounds about right Malcolm,

I have seen very similar wires terminating on the Supply fuse in the bottom of a LED street light when it was being repaired.

Rog
Old 29th Jan 2023, 3:33 pm   #5
Malcolm T
Hexode

Looked at a site for dielectrics for cables , it might be Polyethylene ( high density ) ?.
here and there they are doing quite a bit of work for improvements , in town out of town.
Old 29th Jan 2023, 5:04 pm   #6
Silicon
Nonode

The copper core may be alloyed with other metals to make it harder and less likely to stretch and get corrosion.
Old 30th Jan 2023, 10:30 am   #7
Malcolm T
Hexode

Well thanks for replies , i think its heading for an antenna for HF use.
Closed Thread