UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Sep 2022, 7:13 pm   #21
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips CP110 versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Yes! Correct. The dreaded G110 and CP90 were beasts. The strange thin neck 21" CRT in the G90 gave a superb picture but then, just as you thought it might be safe to close your tool kit..Bang!
That really was the start of the rot.
John.
The G90B chassis (stereo sound) was, I think, a French design and not so good. It used a.o. a 25V electrolytic on a 24V rail....

The G90AE chassis (mono sound) was from Monza, Italy, and was perfectly fine.

Philips Eindhoven designed an SMD version of the CP90 chassis, I think it was only made in small numbers as a production test for future chassis such as the G90 and G110 or as a failed internal competitor for the G90AE chassis.

Now that I think of it, I have seen French CP110 sets, but also from Belgium. I'm not sure whether it was designed in France and revised in Belgium or the other way around or even a parallel production... Does it use a TEA1039 in the power supply? If so, it might be designed in France. They loved that chip, while the Dutch and Belgian design staff tended to use discrete designs.

Last edited by Maarten; 26th Sep 2022 at 7:19 pm.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 7:53 pm   #22
ben
Dekatron

All the cp110 sets I have worked on used the 1039 in the psu. I once bought a psu repair kit for one set and that IC was in it.

Coincidentally, when studying in France in the 1990s, the hall common room had this exact cp110 set. I also recall seeing one in a Paris fleamarket years later!
Old 27th Sep 2022, 1:00 am   #23
ben
Dekatron

I noticed that the interference was not limited to this set but also was radiated to others in the vicinity. The mains filtering coil and associated cap looked the worse for wear (see photo) so I swapped them with those of the scrap chassis. Annoyingly the problem persists. I cannot see any drys and can't see any obvious cause. Ring any bells to anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D84EE1E4-199C-4AB3-9B6B-937D8493290D.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	265362  
Old 12th Oct 2022, 3:23 pm   #24
ben
Dekatron

Still struggling to get rid of this interference. Seems to be something higher than your usual 50hz ripple. Bit like herringbone patterning. I have replaced a couple of capacitors on the psu secondary which were of poor quality (the set had clearly been worked on before I got it). Also affects sets in vicinity. Could this originate innthe psu primary?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	119633A4-3B05-4765-85FE-1B32A67ADB99.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	266009  
Old 13th Oct 2022, 8:43 am   #25
marceljack
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Does it use a TEA1039 in the power supply? If so, it might be designed in France. They loved that chip, while the Dutch and Belgian design staff tended to use discrete designs.
In fact the TEA1039 was designed (in Nijmegen) originally for the power supply of the Minitel of La Radiotechnique (french subsidiary of Philips).
Later on it was used on many other products designed in France.
Old 13th Oct 2022, 8:16 pm   #26
Sideband
Dekatron

Just another line of thought...if it's radiating to other sets, is it worth checking the line output stage? I seem to recall that there was a thin earth lead from the aquadag that connected to a tag on the side of the aluminium heatsink down the side of the chassis. It used to break off and you just solder it back onto the tag. If it breaks off of course it leaves the aquadag floating with possible brushing which will affect other sets......
Old 14th Oct 2022, 9:22 am   #27
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Though probably not relevant to your TV, I once had a couple of the later Philips 2A chassis with a similar fault bought ex-rental.

Eventually it turned out the frame IC had been changed in both cases and a small capacitor had been left off the print side of the PCB. Of course your TV uses discrete output devices, but radiation from the frame stage might be worth bearing in mind.
Closed Thread