UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Sep 2022, 10:02 pm   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default Philips CP110 versions

I have a 24CE3270 set (early cp110) which I was planning to use in a project, but upon getting it out after over a decade in storage there are a few problems.

The main and most serious one is that the NiCad memory battery (which, ironically, was replaced not long before storage!) has corroded a large section of the pcb, not only print traces but the legs of many components are affected. I have cleaned the worst off but operation can be erratic (poor/no response to controls, no display at times, etc). The typical odd symptoms you get with liquid spillage in sets, in fact.

There is also a problem with vertical size and foldover which I hope may be down to the resistor between the output transistors (yes, this set uses discrete components in that stage!)

I came across a spare CP110 board in the workshop. It's in much better condition, the original yellow NiCad battery has barely deteriorated.This is for a 27CE3590, which seems to be a later variant. The differences I can see are the extra control pcb in the PSU and a teletext pcb.

My question is, will this 27" set board drive my 24" tube were I to swap it for the corroded one? The service manual makes no mention of differences in line o/p transformer types, CRT voltages, EHT etc. No idea if the 27" was a FST tube, as it was so long ago since I saved it. Would welcome any ideas on this Frankenstein project
Old 25th Sep 2022, 10:13 pm   #2
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips CP110 versions

The extra PCB in the power supply indicates a later more reliable revision (as seen in the serial number) while 3590 just means it's a 3290 with teletext.

24" and 27" chassis should be identical. They both used FST tubes, I think A59EAK01X and A66EAK51X respectively.
Old 25th Sep 2022, 10:17 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Thanks Maarten. That's kind of what I was hoping, after all they're both 110º tube types. Just wasn't sure if there were differences in the scan coil types, correction cct, etc with the larger tube.

At the moment, give the state of the CE3270 pcb, I have little to lose in any case.
Old 25th Sep 2022, 10:22 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

It's ages since I wrote a servicing article for TELEVISION on this chassis (1993 in fact)! https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Pra...on-1993-06.pdf

There might be some more info that is useful to you.
Old 25th Sep 2022, 10:48 pm   #5
ben
Dekatron

That was one of the first things I reached for - along with the CP90 one three months before. Thank you Mr. Newman!
Old 26th Sep 2022, 7:44 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Oh no, it's that awful man who tells us that it's OK to put both hands on a live chassis at the same time, again

(Richard will know what I mean!)
Old 26th Sep 2022, 8:55 am   #7
ben
Dekatron

Possibly something to do with the magazine cover photo?!
Old 26th Sep 2022, 9:00 am   #8
Sideband
Dekatron

It was running on isolated mains!! Eugene Trundel took that photo and insisted on getting a picture of the switching waveform on the base of the BUT11 transistor. I was keeping my fingers crossed that the prod didn't slip....! Actually, my other hand was resting on the bench. Was it really nearly 30 years ago.....?
Old 26th Sep 2022, 9:50 am   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I only pulled your leg about it because there was a letter of complaint in the next issue
Old 26th Sep 2022, 10:06 am   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Ha Ha! People that write letters of complaint don't usually do anything constructive to complain about.

The 110 chassis. The start of the rot. The degauss posistor used to fall to bits causing a massive surge and a blown mains fuse and usually a power supply blow up. I used to fit the Philips kit with the utmost care just to find it blown up a week later for no apparent reason. Not so happy days. I never had a Philips supplied back up battery leak over the board. They just used to go virtually O/C but of course time has marched on and the make up of them has changed John.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 10:11 am   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes, not unusual. In a couple of cases we found the SMPS transformer was to blame - the HT would vary if you squeezed the transformer (with one hand, of course...). Plus you had to change both HT smoothing electrolytics which weren't in the kit, of course.

Now the CP90 was a great chassis, as long as you had a stock of LOPTs.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 11:04 am   #12
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I only pulled your leg about it because there was a letter of complaint in the next issue
Oh yes I remember that now. Some people have nothing better to complain about....as HCS said!

I'm not sure if the editor (John Reddihough at the time) followed the comment up or not. I seem to recall he mentioned that my hand was on the bench, not the chassis and it was just the angle of the shot.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 11:13 am   #13
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post

The 110 chassis. The start of the rot. The degauss posistor used to fall to bits causing a massive surge and a blown mains fuse and usually a power supply blow up. I used to fit the Philips kit with the utmost care just to find it blown up a week later for no apparent reason.
Hi John you're not getting confused with the G110 are you? That was a whole new ball-game using surface mounted components and the kit consisted of about 30 parts.....

The CP110 discussed here used standard components and I think the kit had about 5 parts in it.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 12:39 pm   #14
jayceebee
Heptode

I might be thinking of a different chassis but wasn’t there two different part kits for the CP110 depending on the level of PSU damage?

John.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 1:33 pm   #15
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceebee View Post
I might be thinking of a different chassis but wasn’t there two different part kits for the CP110 depending on the level of PSU damage?

John.
No that was the G110. One kit was issued initially and then a second kit was added for big blow-ups. All surface mounted stuff. Some engineers ran away from them.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 2:23 pm   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes! Correct. The dreaded G110 and CP90 were beasts. The strange thin neck 21" CRT in the G90 gave a superb picture but then, just as you thought it might be safe to close your tool kit..Bang!
That really was the start of the rot.
John.

Last edited by Heatercathodeshort; 26th Sep 2022 at 2:29 pm.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 2:34 pm   #17
hans
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
No that was the G110. One kit was issued initially and then a second kit was added for big blow-ups. All surface mounted stuff. Some engineers ran away from them.
The second kit was sold here as "a greater chance for success". I can't remember how many parts there were, but it must have included all the smds in the supply.

I never bothered with repairs of these supplies after some blowups. It took too long to do these repairs.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 2:58 pm   #18
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I'll second you on that hans. John.
Old 26th Sep 2022, 4:28 pm   #19
ben
Dekatron

I can report some success. Swapped the boards and set powered up. Now I need to sort this interference problem. I suspect the IF and tuner can shields need resoldering at the very least ( source is tuner).Will keep you posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DBC097A5-91B4-4560-9053-AEBA7688CB73.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	265338  
Old 26th Sep 2022, 6:43 pm   #20
ben
Dekatron

Thorough resolder brought no change. I recall having this exact fault (swirling white dots/snowstorm interference) once with a 1990s vcr, wish I could recall the cause! I replaced C2633 and 2671 as these were known to dry up, but they were blameless. Will keep investigating.
Closed Thread